Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 07:11 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,052,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
*Joke* You could've fooled me during the #MeToo craze a few months ago *Joke*

The heightism IS real though... and there is a huge double standard as to what is acceptable to claim as "appropriate preference" depending on the gender and sexual orientation of the person with the grievance.
Wasn't there a link showing the majority of U.S. men want a woman who is shorter than they are? So then what?

Old 04-15-2018, 07:22 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
What you're doing again, JBT, is seeking out on social media confirmation of your own biases, i.e. support for your belief that women are superficial, and are only interested in good-looking guys or tall guys, or whatever.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:25 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,109,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What you're doing again, JBT, is seeking out on social media confirmation of your own biases, i.e. support for your belief that women are superficial, and are only interested in good-looking guys or tall guys, or whatever.
Don't shoot the messenger..23k likes speaks volumes.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:28 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,132,950 times
Is 23k likes a lot?

Old 04-15-2018, 07:33 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,631,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Wasn't there a link showing the majority of U.S. men want a woman who is shorter than they are? So then what?
I disagree with this and any link showing me "different". Taller women are more attractive and this is the general opinion, regardless of what media says.
Reason why men generally opt for women who are shorter or as tall as themselves is same like why women opt for men who are older or of same age as they are - it's because this preference isn't as strong of a factor for them and it's perceived as a very strong factor for the opposite gender when choosing a mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
The 23k likes on that list means nothing, unless this group involves athletic and young women. It's like the bottom-dwelling elderly men who have issues to keep a job happen to complain and place likes on posts about aging women or single mothers in the dating world.

----

Thing is that people who are rational about their lives will primarily focus on people whom they perceive as AVAILABLE to them, this logic is especially common among men because the society expects a man to make a first move. Ignoring this logic will yield much worse results than the results you'd have if you had a rational view on your dating prospects. You could get "lucky" in either scenario but you'd actually be more likely to know it if you were rational and so you'd be vary of self-sabotaging your "luck".
This doesn't mean that you don't get to choose, it's about making a strong focus to choose among women/men you perceive as available to cut your losses and avoid other women/men dragging you along without a reasonable chance of it to succeed. It doesn't mean that you are limited to accept someone among the "available" people, you can opt to not choose any and/or just play the field or seek for someone else who fulfills other criteria and is YET to be available. There are plenty of scenarios but it all comes down to rationalizing one's options.

In other words - people generally perceive other prospects through the OPPORTUNITY that they offer them and, in order to get the best out of it, they need to learn their own self-worth and to focus on things that matter to them.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:38 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,881,848 times
It is kind of a joke. A person can't actually grow shorter bc someone hates them, right? So it's a stupid comeback that people with a weird sense of humor laughed at. Maybe they were thinking of someone who is short that actually thinks they don't like them bc they're short and liked it bc they think that was a funny comeback to something that's frustrating.

If this is something you're sensitive about, you're not going to like anyone laughing about it. I almost laughed when you posted "fat lady with A cups" just bc that's a stupid way to describe someone, and I am not sensitive to those 2 things.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,737,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
She's not.

She's pointing out your self destructive behavior and habits. Conformation bias is a real thing. 23k is nowhere near 6m. You need to stop pretending like it is.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:42 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,052,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It is kind of a joke. A person can't actually grow shorter bc someone hates them, right? So it's a stupid comeback that people with a weird sense of humor laughed at.
I wondered about this - i.e. whether people were "liking" that someone was calling out how stupid the idea is. Because that just didn't make sense, the thing about how the guy is shorter because she hates him. That tripped me up, I'll admit.

I really wonder if that's the thing here - whether people are actually supporting that such a prejudice is stupid, not supporting that they hate short men.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,737,185 times
Quote:
I wondered about this - i.e. whether people were "liking" that someone was calling out how stupid the idea is. Because that just didn't make sense, the thing about how the guy is shorter because she hates him. That tripped me up, I'll admit.

I really wonder if that's the thing here - whether people are actually supporting that such a prejudice is stupid, not supporting that they hate short men.
Yeah true.

Kind of like....glass half empty, half full kinda thing.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:49 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,109,595 times
Quote:

Nah Looking at the instagram page now they posted something march 27 with the title "when his height starts with 5" and under it is a picture of a girl shaking her head and the word no under her another 20k likes

There clearly not making fun of how dumb hating short men is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships