Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,907,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Malheuresement, je dois me mordre ma langue, 🤭 🇫🇷 🇬🇧
It sounds like you could probably get somebody to do that for you, around here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 06:33 AM

26,711 posts, read 41,902,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Malheuresement, je dois me mordre ma langue, 🤭 🇫🇷 🇬🇧
Guess who just broke the terms of service?

Quote:
English is the only language to be used this board, use translation software if needed.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:41 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,134,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Why plot revenge if someone doesn't call you back? Be an adult, cut your losses and move on. The fact that he sent an invoice after her not texting back shows that he's a crappy human being and is socially inept, which is why she didn't text him back in the first place. There is clearly something wrong with this guy's behavior, which is why she lost interest after the date.

Yup.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:43 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,609,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Guess who just broke the terms of service?
Hands up, that was me, guilty as charged.
I was unaware of that rule, but ignorance of the law/rules is no defence.
If I was to run a red light in the U.S., I don’t think telling the cop that I didn’t know it was wrong would help me.
There are times, when I’ve maybe just had a long phone call in French, or read or written an email in French, that my brain is still thinking in French, perhaps this was one of those times, but to reiterate, I didn’t know it was forbidden, but I do now, and I apologise to the moderators, I’ll strive to rein it in.
I’d like a second offence taken into consideration for apology, my post # 193, in reply to Catgirl.
My use of the French phrases for “I am deeply sorry”, and “what a shame”, stem from my being an incurable romantic, I just thought that in addressing a woman, using the beautiful language might make her think, “okay, maybe this guy’s full of it in using French to me, but it sounds nice, and he means no harm.”

Old 05-02-2018, 04:02 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,312,927 times
I doubt you'll be sent to CD prison for it but it did bring to mind that a lot of us would Be technically guilty for any of the following.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/french-phrases.html

Old 05-02-2018, 06:29 AM

880 posts, read 1,258,373 times
If she's a strong independent woman, she should pay him - she don't need no man to pay for her.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,609,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I doubt you'll be sent to CD prison for it but it did bring to mind that a lot of us would Be technically guilty for any of the following.

Thanks for the sympathetic reassurance old cold, and for the list of French phrases that are in day to day use in the English speaking world.
I’m presuming that one could get away without censure if one were to use any of them on C-D, as it could be said that terms like maître d’ are in common use in the U.S., although actually it’s an abbreviation of maître d’hôtel.
The only fly in the ointment, or if C-D will indulge me one last time, grain de sable qui dérègle la machine, or cheveu dans la soupe, or even simply hic, being that by the time I’ve checked for an approved idiom on the list, I may as well have typed in the English words.
I’ll have to explore ways of bringing my cold English blood to the fore, and relegate my warm, romantic Gallic blood to the rear.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
We tend to use a lot of Latin around here, too.

Not conversational Latin, per se (see what I did there?), but, you know...phrases...

Old 05-02-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
If she's a strong independent woman, she should pay him - she don't need no man to pay for her.
Who says she's a strong, independent woman? I never saw her say that. (shrug)

Or did she say somewhere that he didn't offer to pay? (How many women here have had this experience...I had it many times: you open your wallet and the guy says lightly, "Don't, you're embarrassing me" because he expects to pay for the first date, it's his decision?)

Or that perhaps he knew he was pretty off-putting, weird and REALLY bad with women and with just basically being...sane, so he begged her a hundred times to go out with him and she finally said yes and he decided to pay for the privilege?

I feel like, given this guy's lunacy and his extreme attention to detail (like the "shipping an handling fee" and the follow-up "collections notice"), if she had acted entitled, not offered to pay, balked if he suggested separate checks, or ANYTHING else even LOOSELY hinting of entitlement or hypocrisy (i.e. the independent woman snark above), he'd have for shoot sure mentioned it. I mean come on. (And by the way...it was friggin' tacos. Not The Four Seasons. LOL. But I digress...)

We pretty much DO know, or can at least ascertain, from his bizarre reaction, that if he paid he thought he was supposed to "get something" back, no matter what that was - loosely, let's call it, uh, a text, but anyway, a specified, desired reaction - so we can also assume if she'd done what he wanted he'd not have minded paying at all. So...that points to: he wanted to pay...'cause he figured then she'd have to respond the way he wanted. (And when she didn't..shock!! ZOMG.)

But again, we really don't know. We really don't know much about what came "before," nor what the arrangements were.

What we DO know is that if he were a strong, independent man...he wouldn't have to "make a point" by sending two invoices including a shipping and handling fee (LOL) for one woman, out of a bazillion women out there, not answering one text. So...at least we have one thing we pretty much do know in this scenario.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:53 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,370,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Who says she's a strong, independent woman? I never saw her say that. (shrug)

Or did she say somewhere that he didn't offer to pay? (How many women here have had this experience...I had it many times: you open your wallet and the guy says lightly, "Don't, you're embarrassing me" because he expects to pay for the first date, it's his decision?)

Or that perhaps he knew he was pretty off-putting, weird and REALLY bad with women and with just basically being...sane, so he begged her a hundred times to go out with him and she finally said yes and he decided to pay for the privilege?

I feel like, given this guy's lunacy and his extreme attention to detail (like the "shipping an handling fee" and the follow-up "collections notice"), if she had acted entitled, not offered to pay, balked if he suggested separate checks, or ANYTHING else even LOOSELY hinting of entitlement or hypocrisy (i.e. the independent woman snark above), he'd have for shoot sure mentioned it. I mean come on.

We pretty much DO know, or can at least ascertain, from his bizarre reaction, that if he paid he thought he was supposed to "get something" back, no matter what that was - loosely, let's call it, uh, a text, but anyway, a specified, desired reaction - so we can also assume if she'd done what he wanted he'd not have minded paying at all. So...that points to: he wanted to pay...'cause he figured then she'd have to respond the way he wanted. (And when she didn't..shock!! ZOMG.)

But again, we really don't know. We really don't know much about what came "before," nor what the arrangements were.

What we DO know is that if he were a strong, independent man...he wouldn't have to "make a point" by sending two invoices including a shipping and handling fee (LOL) for one woman, out of a bazillion women out there, not answering one text. So...at least we have one thing we pretty much do know in this scenario.
The point, which I'll agree was ham-fisted, was that the outmoded habit of men paying for dates, first or otherwise, ought to be an insult to a modern woman who expects to be treated as an equal. I agree that men are as attached to this custom as women, needing to prove that we're man enough to go on big boy dates and all. What I find weird is when fairly strong willed women continue to date men who have near panic attacks at the prospect of her paying her way on a date, or god forbid picking up the whole tab. It seems like a classic case of toxic masculinity, but it gets a pass, and his wetting himself is even held up as a sign of his virtue, or maybe his opinion of hers. I get confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships