Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:39 PM

50 posts, read 48,608 times

Advertisements

I go to yoga class three to four times a week. A couple of months ago, during his spring break, I took my nephew (almost 17) to the yoga class. From that time on, he is going to yoga classes regularly. Last week he told me that he liked one girl in the class and he is going to ask her out. I thought it might be one of the students around his age. Today morning he told me that it is the yoga teacher. The teacher looks pretty and very young but I know her age. She once told me that she is 32. So I told him her age but he said he doesn't care. She is super nice, no wonder he is attracted to her.

I don't know what to do. My brother don't know about this. I googled and I read quite a few stories that it is normal for the students to get attracted to yoga teachers (both men and women) as they look fit and even younger than their age. Getting attracted to and asking them out are totally two different situations. I don't know if he asks her out, she will accept it or turn him down. In both cases, it is embarrassing for me to go to this yoga studio again.

My nephew told me not to say this to anyone for now. I don't know whether to tell my brother or not. I don't know how to handle this situation. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 08:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamaGoodCitizen View Post
I go to yoga class three to four times a week. A couple of months ago, during his spring break, I took my nephew (almost 17) to the yoga class. From that time on, he is going to yoga classes regularly. Last week he told me that he liked one girl in the class and he is going to ask her out. I thought it might be one of the students around his age. Today morning he told me that it is the yoga teacher. The teacher looks pretty and very young but I know her age. She once told me that she is 32. So I told him her age but he said he doesn't care. She is super nice, no wonder he is attracted to her.

I don't know what to do. My brother don't know about this. I googled and I read quite a few stories that it is normal for the students to get attracted to yoga teachers (both men and women) as they look fit and even younger than their age. Getting attracted to and asking them out are totally two different situations. I don't know if he asks her out, she will accept it or turn him down. In both cases, it is embarrassing for me to go to this yoga studio again.

My nephew told me not to say this to anyone for now. I don't know whether to tell my brother or not. I don't know how to handle this situation. Any suggestions? Thanks.
It shouldn't be embarrassing to YOU. Yoga teachers get hit on all the time, and she should know how to handle it.

Let him learn the hard way. He probably won't even ask her.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:03 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamaGoodCitizen View Post

let him ask her out. She'll politely turn him down. End of story. Is that so bad, OP? It's strange that he thinks he has a chance with her, but let him ask.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:01 PM

332 posts, read 436,083 times
Tell him about age of consent laws.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
I had a kid hit on me when I was in my 30s. It was adorable. I turned him down gently. Don’t worry about it. Teens are fickle, he’ll have a new target soon.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:50 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
The thread title is very weird.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:40 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
I agree with the posters who say let the kid ask the teacher out. It's a faux pas, but not a severe one. The odds are close to 100% that she will say no. He, in turn, will either take it in stride or stop coming to yoga. Either way, let the mildly embarrassing situation be a lesson for him. As for you, OP, don't be embarrassed; teenagers make dating-related mistakes all the time, and attractive women in public-facing positions know how to dodge date requests.

I do wonder what he sees in her, though, other than her niceness. I mean, she's old enough to be his... older sister. Also, is he successful at meeting dating prospects at school? That might affect why he chose to hit on a yoga teacher twice his age.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 05-16-2018 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: grammar/sentence structure correction.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:28 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,984,194 times
So is he going to yoga because he likes it or just likes the teacher? If he makes it awkward enough he may be asked to not come again.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:56 PM

983 posts, read 2,774,883 times
Stay out of it. It's not your business and it will work itself out on its own.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:33 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,880 times
I'd ask him if he likes the yoga or the teacher, because if he likes the yoga, the turn-down he is 99% sure to get would make it very awkward to return to the yoga class... just saying....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships