Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

OP, I really think you're making too much of this.

Sounds like, to me, he doesn't really stock coffee and he mentioned you might want to bring coffee.

Otherwise, he'd have to make a special trip to the store to buy coffee he doesn't want.

He sounds quite generous to me, actually, and it's a little off that you didn't bring coffee and toothpaste in the first place, as well as some other stuff to stock like maybe snacks to share.

Sounds like he's a keeper to me.

If I were you, I'd move forward by going to the grocery store and buying ingredients for a really nice home cooked meal, and a nice bottle of wine, and say thank you for letting me stay here when I needed a place.

That's what a girlfriend does, in my world. Just be sweet. And don't count pennies that you have to spend on your own coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 09:10 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
Umm... to recap.

-He pays for a majority of your dates
-You called him cheap, not the other way around
-He's letting you stay at his place and move some of your stuff in
-You're upset that he joked about a cup of coffee.

OP, option 3 is your only option. I mean, in option 1, again, you're calling him cheap, even! Just talk about it. But you would really dump a guy over things that you're making up in your own mind about him that he's not even doing?

Also, seems like you're very hung-up on his money. If things are going that well, he has a steady income, why is this an issue? The post above that highlighted all the times you mentioned his money and what he pays for speaks volumes. I mean, one of your paragraphs states that you offer to pay when things get too pricey, but...then in the next few sentences, you say "So when he wants me to pay, it makes me feel unworthy and unloved."? That's just odd. He's literally letting you stay at his place and is not even hesitating letting you stay. How is that unloved and unworthy?

The fact that you'd consider breaking up with a really good guy over a cup of coffee is kinda sad, OP. Don't be that girl.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:50 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times
Sounds like you guys have a good thing going and you want to ruin it over some coffee? Maybe he didn't have any coffee in the house and didn't feel like going to get it. Stop overthinking it.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:51 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry daiquiri View Post
does he think that spending 7 bucks on coffee for his girlfriend is a lot and I'm not worthy? Or is he just so cheap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
it KINDA seems like you feel entitled.
I agree with Sassybluesy. That said, the guy seems to be passive-aggressive. And that could be a problem down the road.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:56 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrodriguez View Post
If he's extending his home to you for a week I don't think it is an unreasonable request. Why not bring some home as a courtesy? I think you're looking too much into it and you guys should communicate about it before you make a mountain out of a molehill - especially since you're still in the honeymoon phase.
Yeah, OP, I think you're missing the bigger picture. He's been generous in letting you live at his place, when your extenuating circumstances made that necessary. Do you not get that guests normally bring a "host/hostess" gift? They make a small contribution to the household, as a gesture. You may think you're not a guest, because you two are a couple, or something. But still, in our culture, and many ethnic sub-cultures in the West as well, reciprocity is a key value and practice.

I assume he didn't make his request in a snide tone, or anything. I'm struggling to understand how you could find anything objectionable about what seems like an innocent, perfectly reasonable, and not at all costly request. Are you not grateful for the hospitality he extended to you, in your hour (or week) of need? Do you object to perhaps being expected to provide an expression, however small, of that gratitude?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:57 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Sounds like you guys have a good thing going and you want to ruin it over some coffee? Maybe he didn't have any coffee in the house and didn't feel like going to get it. Stop overthinking it.
They got into a fight over coffee and left it unresolved. It takes 2 to tango.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:04 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Bring the coffee.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:06 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
You're drinking most of the coffee, especially when you stayed an entire week so it makes sense that you bring some (yes, BUY some).

Does he ever come to YOUR place? Do you cook him meals with food you have purchased? Does he use any of "your" stuff on a regular basis? If no, then your relationship is quite unequal and buying coffee is a small step toward equalizing it.

At what point would you consider it okay to start contributing to the household? If you move in together? If you can't get past coffee I can only imagine the issues relating to groceries, cooking, utilities, and cleaning! Better to start thinking about all that now.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I agree with Sassybluesy. That said, the guy seems to be passive-aggressive. And that could be a problem down the road.
What's passive-aggressive about coming right out and asking for what you want? He sounds like a grown up to me.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:17 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Oh...I don't know. This was all happening over text, right? He suggests she picks up coffee, and she calls him cheap with smiley faces.

I think she was the one being passive aggressive, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships