Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times

Advertisements

I am sitting here at the kitchen table knowing that in about an hour my husband will be home from work. I dread it.

He will come home and then for HOURS I will hear about every single thing, even in the most minute detail, that happened that day.

Every conversation, every event. How long someone was gone to the bathroom. For hours. LITERALLY. I am not joking. FOR HOURS. Even worse, tomorrow morning, before I have had my first sip of coffee he will start it all over again. And I will hear for a second time, everything that happened.

Of course, he never asks me how my day went. Except to interrogate me about my whereabouts. Never. It's always about him, his thoughts, his feelings, his ideas. HIS INJUSTICES. (everyone he works with is an arsehole,you know). I dread every single day.

If I tell him I want to talk about something else other than his day, his job, his experiences, his opinions about EVERYTHING. He immediately gives me the silent treatment and will not talk to me for the rest of the night. Even ignoring my attempts to communicate. Even if I ask questions.

I really cannot stand my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:49 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Oh 20, I'm sorry....your frustration is evident.

Is your marriage on the rocks or is this just a common, daily annoyance for you?

Are you considering divorce??

Old 05-14-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh 20, I'm sorry....your frustration is evident.

Is your marriage on the rocks or is this just a common, daily annoyance for you?

Are you considering divorce??
This is, and has been my life 24/7 for the past 22 years. Most of the time I can just ignore it and put in the appropriate "uh huhs' and "oh really". but lately I just can't seem to stand it anymore.

Considering divorce? Suicide is more like it.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This is, and has been my life 24/7 for the past 22 years. Most of the time I can just ignore it and put in the appropriate "uh huhs' and "oh really". but lately I just can't seem to stand it anymore.

Try divorcing him before you turn to suicide.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:54 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
Tell him you don't care about his day at work and don't want to hear about it. When I start ranting about something on the TV my wife tells me to cut it out, and I do.. If he gives you the silent treatment you are ahead of the game. Keep telling him until he stops. He sounds like he loves to talk, so eventually he will come up with another topic. Since you've been playing along until now it must be kind of confusing for him.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:55 PM

983 posts, read 2,774,883 times
Have you ever talked to him about how this stuff bothers you, in specific terms?

Old 05-14-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Have you ever talked to him about how this stuff bothers you, in specific terms?
Yes, he gets very hostile and defensive. Blames me for it saying that "I asked" (because I usually greet him when he comes home, duh, with something like, Hi honey how was your day?) It is a simple greeting, not something that I intend to last for 6+ Hours.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Tell him you don't care about his day at work and don't want to hear about it. When I start ranting about something on the TV my wife tells me to cut it out, and I do.. If he gives you the silent treatment you are ahead of the game. Keep telling him until he stops. He sounds like he loves to talk, so eventually he will come up with another topic. Since you've been playing along until now it must be kind of confusing for him.
Sometimes, when we are going into town or having dinner out I ask him very, very nicely if we can't please talk about something else. He asks (in an irritated tone)...."like what"? Then he has nothing to say from that point on. I can either finish my drive or dinner in total silence or I can listen to him. There is no 3rd option.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:03 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Do you still love this guy?

If not....well, it's hard to go through a divorce after 20+ yrs of marriage, I can attest, but for some, it's definitely worth it in the end. I am single now and very glad...

You have a right to a happy life...but go for divorce over suicide.

If you ARE suicidal, please call a helpline...or go to the nearest ER

Old 05-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Do you still love this guy?

If not....well, it's hard to go through a divorce after 20+ yrs of marriage, I can attest, but for some, it's definitely worth it in the end. I am single now and very glad...

You have a right to a happy life...but go for divorce over suicide.

If you ARE suicidal, please call a helpline...or go to the nearest ER
I've called suicide hotlines several times in the past. They go through their check list. "Have you attempted suicide in the past?" "Do you have a specific plan?" etc., etc., Once they get through their checklist, they always refer me to a local clinic (Burrell Behavioral Health), where you can obtain counseling on a sliding scale. I know the drill like I wrote it. They are useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships