Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 594 times

Advertisements

I'm a 33 yo guy and I've never had the slightest interest in a serious official relationship. Living with someone is also totally out of the question. Having witnessed the chaotic breakdown of my parent's marriage, I certainly want to stay away from anything that resembles that. My mother is still suffering the consequences and it's been almost 10 years.

However, I'm feeling a huge urge to have children. I love being around my nephews and my friends' kids and the desire to have one of my own keeps getting bigger. I thought only women got this.

I don't mean I would like to have a child just for myself. I love my mother and would never deprive a child of having a mother in his/her life as well. I just don't fancy the idea of having a relationship with the mother.

Not easy to get around this.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:21 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I'm a 33 yo guy and I've never had the slightest interest in a serious official relationship. Living with someone is also totally out of the question. Having witnessed the chaotic breakdown of my parent's marriage, I certainly want to stay away from anything that resembles that. My mother is still suffering the consequences and it's been almost 10 years.

However, I'm feeling a huge urge to have children. I love being around my nephews and my friends' kids and the desire to have one of my own keeps getting bigger. I thought only women got this.

I don't mean I would like to have a child just for myself. I love my mother and would never deprive a child of having a mother in his/her life as well. I just don't fancy the idea of having a relationship with the mother.

Try volunteering for Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and see if that satisfies your cravings.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Nope, but there is a way.

Therapy. Lots and lots of therapy.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:43 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:

I know a couple of people who have a child without being in a dedicated relationship with the other parent.

One woman "chose" from among her male friends. They don't live together but are both very involved with their daughter. The daughter has her name and knows her father.

A co-worker of mine was chosen to father a child for a lesbian couple. They are all involved with raising the boy. He has their name but will always know his father.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:47 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:

In my opinion, it’s not ok to have a kid just because you want a kid, especially when you know that you have no interest in living with or being married to the child’s mother. Don’t you think a child would prefer and benefit from having a father who could stand being married and committed to his/her mother?

Old 05-20-2018, 04:55 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
No you're not weird, You're just an ape with a hard on. Not quite a man yet.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:18 PM

32,649 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You don't want a serious relationship???? There is no relationship more serious than your relationship with your child.

If you don't want a partner, adopt a child to raise by yourself. There are older children available for adoption. Your chances of getting a baby are less than zero, but, hey, there is an advantage to skipping the diaper stage.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:53 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Nope, but there is a way.

Therapy. Lots and lots of therapy.
When we look at the divorce rate as well as the rate of single parents; I'd say that our OP is only guilty of being honest with himself. Honesty is a good thing.

On the other hand, my wife was the main reason why I wanted to have a child with her. When you love yourself and you love your partner, that's the healthiest environment in which to reproduce. Any one who isn't seeking THAT as their first option probably isn't considering the best interests of their child (which is not a good parental trait).

If there are health issues (or even non health issues) that stand in the way of natural reproduction, then adoption is a beautiful and selfless option of parental love. However, even with adoption a "mom and dad" are often preferred. Heck, a gay or lesbian couple are often seen as "stronger" than a single adoption parent. When raising a child, there's certainly an advantage to being a couple.

Here's my advice to the OP. You're a man so (unlike a woman) you don't have an expiration date. Wait until you're ready to get married and have a family. This might happen when you're 40 or 50; who knows. When it does happen, just make sure that your wife is young enough and healthy enough to carry.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
When we look at the divorce rate as well as the rate of single parents; I'd say that our OP is only guilty of being honest with himself. Honesty is a good thing.
The reproduction question isn't the issue.

His family of origin problems are why he needs therapy. He won't be a good dad till he addresses all that.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:11 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The reproduction question isn't the issue.

His family of origin problems are why he needs therapy. He won't be a good dad till he addresses all that.
True, counseling could help in this situation, but it isn't free. 33 is still fairly young; our OP could have a totally different perspective on things when he's 36. When the OP finds that potential mother, his past could be apart of his premarital counseling. In my opinion, the OP should simply wait 2-3 years and then see how he feels before proceeding. Many 33 year old males today aren't ready for marriage and a family for various reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships