Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 04:01 PM

596 posts, read 890,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Jesus. Get a separation agreement! You can put all that detail in there, including how you split the mortgage, bills and temporary apartment until the divorce.

I cannot fathom why you don't have one of these right now. He is under no obligation to pay anything at all without a legal agreement

Write it up yourself if you have to and get it before your attorneys!

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/form/ma...agreement.rl#/

THANK YOU! That is much better than the other site I was trying to use. Working on it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 04:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
THANK YOU! That is much better than the other site I was trying to use. Working on it now.
So you have not met with an attorney yet???

Pulling a "separation agreement" off the internet isn't going to help you legally and could hurt you if your husband signs something your attorney later tells you is disadvantageous to you. It is for people who agree on how to divide their assets, and so far you two aren't exactly agreeing.

The only good it could do is help you organize your thoughts for when you meet with the attorney re: assets, what you want to happen, etc.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 AM

596 posts, read 890,553 times
UPDATE:

So, I have an attorney (yay!) and I did file for divorce (yay!). Now I have a new wrinkle.

I think I mentioned previously that we have a 17 yr old together. I set up a guardian account for him when he was about 5 yrs. old. I've been putting $50 in every two weeks, just me, not my husband . He is going into the Navy. He recently asked me to lower the access age from 21 to 18. I told him that I didn't think he would really need it as the Navy will be providing housing, etc. He said he wanted to use it to help his dad financially. He said his dad offered to make him a part-owner in the home he will be living in. This way our son will inherit it when he passes away. He proposed it as a financial investment. Keep in mind, our son will not be actually living in the house. Also, it is in the middle of the country, totally inconvenient for someone in the Navy.

So, explain to me how this makes any sense and this is ANYTHING but my STBX tricking my son out of money. I told him an investment property is when you have a renter that is paying you. Does your dad intend to pay you rent? No. Also, he is going to inherit that property anyway.

My STBX has been working hard to win over our son. They have been playing Pokémon Go together, going to all the new movies together, out to dinner. He has even been watching him play video games (which normally he hates). He is not financially destitute. He makes about $70k a year.

I really think the best thing for my son is to keep the access age at 21. I feel like this will be saving him from a bad decision. But I'm sure it would be construed as trying to screw my STBX over. Thoughts?

Old 06-26-2018, 07:28 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,700,561 times
Quote:
UPDATE:

So, I have an attorney (yay!) and I did file for divorce (yay!). Now I have a new wrinkle.

I think I mentioned previously that we have a 17 yr old together. I set up a guardian account for him when he was about 5 yrs. old. I've been putting $50 in every two weeks, just me, not my husband . He is going into the Navy. He recently asked me to lower the access age from 21 to 18. I told him that I didn't think he would really need it as the Navy will be providing housing, etc. He said he wanted to use it to help his dad financially. He said his dad offered to make him a part-owner in the home he will be living in. This way our son will inherit it when he passes away. He proposed it as a financial investment. Keep in mind, our son will not be actually living in the house. Also, it is in the middle of the country, totally inconvenient for someone in the Navy.

So, explain to me how this makes any sense and this is ANYTHING but my STBX tricking my son out of money. I told him an investment property is when you have a renter that is paying you. Does your dad intend to pay you rent? No. Also, he is going to inherit that property anyway.

My STBX has been working hard to win over our son. They have been playing Pokémon Go together, going to all the new movies together, out to dinner. He has even been watching him play video games (which normally he hates). He is not financially destitute. He makes about $70k a year.

I really think the best thing for my son is to keep the access age at 21. I feel like this will be saving him from a bad decision. But I'm sure it would be construed as trying to screw my STBX over. Thoughts?
Can you ask your son to go to a third party for financial advise? Someone who is removed from the emotion of the divorce, but can offer an impartial viewpoint? Maybe pay for a financial adviser?

Old 06-26-2018, 07:28 AM

569 posts, read 441,091 times
Quote:
This attorney wants a $2500 retainer and charges $220 an hour. Is this typical?
Do you have EAP (Employment Assistance Program) at your job? If so, you might look at that resource. Mine offers discounts for legal services that would save you some cash.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:41 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,172,231 times
Quote:

Dang, your STBX is a jerk. Of course he's using your son to get to you. Your son does not have to invest in a property to inherit it. What a load of crap. Do NOT change the access age to 18. Your son clearly isn't mature enough to make good decisions.
He's falling for Dad's "buddy" routine without realizing he's being played.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:48 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,893,517 times
Quote:
UPDATE:

Great news...an atty and a file as well!! Keep up the good work...

Old 06-26-2018, 08:32 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
UPDATE:

So, I have an attorney (yay!) and I did file for divorce (yay!).
Thank God.

Quote:
Also, he is going to inherit that property anyway.
Keep trusting your gut. Of course it's a scheme.

Your STBX is obviously a manipulative a-hole, which we knew from the day you described his threat to harm himself if you left him.

It's a shame he gets to spend ANY time with your son, since one day he will do the exact same crap to him. I honestly would look into some counseling for your son as you go through this process because his dad is a head case.

DO NOT worry one whit about your husband or how things look. Do what is smart and what your attorney advises.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:21 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,260,880 times
Quote:
UPDATE:

No, no and more hellnaw!

Children should NEVER be lenders to parents. EVER.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:39 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,762,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Thank God.

Keep trusting your gut. Of course it's a scheme.

Your STBX is obviously a manipulative a-hole, which we knew from the day you described his threat to harm himself if you left him.

It's a shame he gets to spend ANY time with your son, since one day he will do the exact same crap to him. I honestly would look into some counseling for your son as you go through this process because his dad is a head case.

DO NOT worry one whit about your husband or how things look. Do what is smart and what your attorney advises.
Why is it a shame he gets to spend any time with his son? It sounds like they're having a good time together. He's going off to the navy in a year, why shouldn't he be able to spend some of this last time as a kid with his father? Divorce means the man is the ex husband, not ex father and not enemy of the family.

I like the advice someone gave of seeing a third party financial analyst. Let that person give an impartial evaluation and make the decision from there. I suspect an impartial analyst would side with you over the father in this case, but having that evaluation could help you defend against allegations of sabotage. And don't start getting all militant about custody, it won't help anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships