Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 07:39 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,138,187 times

Advertisements

i work in fast food and get asked out pretty often. being pretty has nothing to do with it, everywhere i have ever worked it seems like most of the females i work with also get asked out a lot. sometimes it's by random customers, sometimes it's by guys that come in every day. they learn your name and then ask you out. i am sure other people who work in fast food or retail may know what i'm talking about... you will get hit on if you work those jobs lol.

I do like getting asked out and it does make me feel good. sometimes I will even accept. but i really do hate the way guys go about it. If i do get asked out, it's usually when theres a huge line of people and then i just get really embarrassed. i feel really put on the spot and then i get nervous and i feel like the customers that are around or waiting are listening. i would like it better if guys came up to me after my shift or maybe when there are less people around.

so, have you ever been asked out at work? (by a customer not my coworkers). Was it awkward? what kind of job do you have? Just want to know if others go through this and how you handle it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 08:01 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
I just smile and decline.

I've worked in several retail positions, mainly stores that sell clothes for women. My coworkers and I have dealt with men who would literally walk in the store, sometimes stare us down, give us compliments, and ask us out. I mainly get annoyed, especially when there are a lot of customers. Quite a few guys had no shame and would even ask us out when they were buying clothes FOR their S/O. It gets real old VERY quickly. I'm there to work, not date.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:12 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,138,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

I've worked in several retail positions, mainly stores that sell clothes for women. My coworkers and I have dealt with men who would literally walk in the store, sometimes stare us down, give us compliments, and ask us out. I mainly get annoyed, especially when there are a lot of customers. Quite a few guys had no shame and would even ask us out when they were buying clothes FOR their S/O. It gets real old VERY quickly. I'm there to work, not date.
Yes it’s SO annoying when married guys try it. Like, I can see your ring lol. You’re not fooling me.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:43 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
As a former bartender and server, it happened quite a bit. Some people can't differentiate between good service and personal interest, and some men really seem to think that any woman serving them is public property. I never minded if it was polite--and mostly it was--a quick no thank you and move on, no need for unkind words or awkwardness.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:05 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,136 times
I got asked out one time when I was at work.I of course said no.In fact people should always say NO when asked out at work because guess what. The person knows where you work now.What if they start stalking you or something.
Anyways so the guy who asked me out at work, I said NO.It was when I was working as a Psych Tech..yup..he didn't become a patient though BUT still..nope.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
1.) Wear a wedding band (fake cheapo if not married) and act shocked if you are not receptive.

2.) If you're interested whisper your phone number and in the relationship never go near work, and instruct your lover to never come to your workplace, or to pretend to not know you otherwise.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:37 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

They don't know that's rude? Or do they think the rules of etiquette don't apply to them? That's creepy, and very presumptuous. Huge turn-off. Entitlement, much?

Old 06-09-2018, 11:42 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
I got asked out one time when I was at work.I of course said no.In fact people should always say NO when asked out at work because guess what. The person knows where you work now.What if they start stalking you or something.
Anyways so the guy who asked me out at work, I said NO.It was when I was working as a Psych Tech..yup..he didn't become a patient though BUT still..nope.
People who overtly flirt with customers, trying to pick up dates should bear this in mind. You'll either turn people off to shopping there, if they feel uncomfortable being hit on, or you could develop a problem with an off-kilter customer. Don't retail employers have a policy about not fraternizing with the customers? Or only some employers do? People who try to use the customer base as a dating pool really need to get a life outside of work. Same for customers, who try to use captive staff who are required to be polite, as a potential dating pool.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
People who work in retail and food service or customer service are like a captive audience.

You get ALL kinds of guys who are at all stages of "asking out." Some just hitting on everyone they see, while others see your friendliness as flirting and assume YOU are interested.

You really just have to learn a quick way to blow it off, unless YOU are interested then you can slip your number in casually.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:28 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Most retailers would frown on employees fraternizing with customers. The reason is that from the employer's point of view it is almost all 100% downside, and nothing to gain from employer's perspective.

I'm an artist and frequent customer at my local Michael's art supplies. I'm good friends with the three ladies who work their framing department, and have been a frequent framing customer in addition to spending a lot of money on artist supplies. I'm also good friends with the store's assistant manager.

I always visit their framing department when I visit the store, just to say hi to my friends. I am very careful to make my visits short because I know they will get in trouble if they spend too much time lollygagging with me.

All three women are young enough to be my daughters or granddaughters. I like them as people, who just happen to be women. My favorite, she is just so bubbling and enthusiastic! I sure wish I could adopt her or something but you can't adopt an adult. Maybe I can include her in my growing number of "sisters of the heart." I have absolutely no romantic interest in any of them.

I might go by there today. My favorite wants to learn soapmaking and I'm an authority. I want to ask her to meet in a public place and draw a henna tattoo on my arm. Also want to share I got my own mat cutter!

But you can't get too social with employees in the store. That's going to get them into trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships