Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 12:30 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They don't know that's rude? Or do they think the rules of etiquette don't apply to them? That's creepy, and very presumptuous. Huge turn-off. Entitlement, much?
Yeah it's rude and creepy but it's commonplace where I am.

I guess they feel it's more appropriate than actually approaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 12:45 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
I work in a hospital so I definitely do not do it.

Never mix business with pleasure.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:46 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Oh God, in a hospital.... and HIPAA? You'd lose your job without even an exit interview.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:11 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
I married a guy who asked me out at work. Granted, we had developed a good rapport by that time and he’s still a keeper.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:39 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I just smile and decline.

I've worked in several retail positions, mainly stores that sell clothes for women. My coworkers and I have dealt with men who would literally walk in the store, sometimes stare us down, give us compliments, and ask us out. I mainly get annoyed, especially when there are a lot of customers. Quite a few guys had no shame and would even ask us out when they were buying clothes FOR their S/O. It gets real old VERY quickly. I'm there to work, not date.
The best store to walk in and ask women clerks out are Fredrick's of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret. The environment there is conducive to flirty banter.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I married a guy who asked me out at work. Granted, we had developed a good rapport by that time and he’s still a keeper.
It sucks that this type of thing is looked at as blasphemy, but I, too, have asked out a girl at her work and she was probably the third best girl I ever dated, behind my now-fiancee and my first/longest real girlfriend. We only dated for a few months, because I messed things up and I still feel bad about it, because I feel like she went down a pretty bad path after things ended with us.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take and if not for me asking her out, that's one less (and kind of significant) positive dating experience I would have missed out on.

My fiancee gets asked out at work all the time by customers. She's a manager at a bakery/restaurant type place in town. She takes it as a compliment and declines. Most of the guys aren't real pushy and back off after she declines. It happens to a lot of people. It happened to my first real girlfriend, as she worked at Subway. It also happened to the one I asked out, but she said she didn't like any of the other guys that asked her out at work enough to give them a chance.

Last edited by Runninglikethieves; 06-09-2018 at 04:50 PM..

Old 06-09-2018, 04:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
The best store to walk in and ask women clerks out are Fredrick's of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret. The environment there is conducive to flirty banter.
LOL

My SIL used to manage a Victoria's Secret. They sell clothing, just like other clothing stores. The idea that they're dewy ingenues just waiting for jort-clad dudes to walk in and seduce them is a myth.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:14 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
If you're pathetic and/or okay with looking like the guy who is buying women's lingerie for himself to wear.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
If you're pathetic and/or okay with looking like the guy who is buying women's lingerie for himself to wear.
Pathetic and wrong.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:28 AM

BTW my very best and longest relationship (7 years) came out of work. She was the department secretary, she was ... doing the department manager who was married but his wife had some sort of debilitating disease. She and I were just good friends, and went out for platonic lunch at least weekly.

Some time later I had left the company and there was some sort of status change in Mr. manager's marital situation and they broke it off. I wasn't working for the company any more, she may not have either. We chatted on the phone and decided to get together for drinks, just for old times.

We did, only now she wasn't hooked up any more, and I'd always liked her raven haired good looks and hawt body, I just never saw her before as somebody I could have a sexual relationship with. I guess she liked me enough that way because it wasn't long before we were sleeping together.

Our relationship developed into a my house your house arrangement because she had a 15 year old daughter and wanted her own place anyway, and I wanted mine anyway.

We stayed together for several years, we even went on vacations together (Puerto Vallarta was best) and we had great times. After several years we had some problems and we broke up. (The several years does not include our pre-romantic years.)

I was very said when I discovered recently that she had died of breast cancer. We had lost contact and I wanted to just meet her platonically, maybe for a drink. But she is gone now. I cried a bit and maybe a bit more.

Our senses of humor exactly matched. I'll always remember the great times we had, all the laughs that came from our friendship and relationship. We spent most of our years laughing and quipping. And of course...you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships