Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 12:50 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
What's the point of discussing data that you've already decided isn't true?

Who has said the data they present isn't true?

I'm not seeing people having a problem with the data, but with your interpretation and presentation of it. Big difference.

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
What's the point of discussing data that you've already decided isn't true?
You thought there was a point when you posted the thread. You didn't like the counterpoints we all posted, calling those of us who disagreed "emotional."

So ... what do you want to talk about, RJ?

RJ_ RJ_ started this thread

743 posts, read 392,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not seeing it.
Which part are you looking for?

Old 08-09-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Which part are you looking for?
Where did this quote come from?

Quote:
"Younger women haven't fully decided which direction their lives are going. They are still enticed by the idea of having children and a home. So for them, a man with money and a good career equals stability and an environment to raise a family. Older men have money, younger men don't. Further, older women choose older men because younger men are usually not an option. So you have older men garnering lots of attention because they appeal to a broad percentage of women."

Old 08-09-2018, 12:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm seeing a lot of guesswork and assumptions and generalizations and not a lot of actual science here, TBH.
The study shows men and women seem to hit on people who are more attractive than themselves.

D. U. H.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Who has said the data they present isn't true?

I'm not seeing people having a problem with the data, but with your interpretation and presentation of it. Big difference.
It's funny because when I reference the study word for word it's all "woah no way that's true, hogwash, I'm 55 years old and get hit on by 20 something men all the time, so I know it's a lame study that is biased towards older women." blah blah blah.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
It's funny because when I reference the study word for word it's all "woah no way that's true, hogwash, I'm 55 years old and get hit on by 20 something men all the time, so I know it's a lame study that is biased towards older women." blah blah blah.
Is this ^^^ the academic discussion you were hoping for?

Old 08-09-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Is this ^^^ the academic discussion you were hoping for?
I was hoping to hear people's thoughts on the data from the study. Instead I got a bunch of emotional responses from people who reject the data for personal reasons. There's no objectivity here, it's all reactionary b.s. because facts are offensive.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
The research suggests the exact opposite. Men have a higher chance of receiving a response from a more desirable woman if he submits a less enthusiastic message. The reasoning is thus: a highly desirable woman receives more messages than anyone else. Her inbox is full of messages from men clamoring for her attention. Then, she receives a message from a guy who isn't enthusiastic? He stands out from the crowd of try-hard admirers.
Interesting opinion. You may be right. I've already started to wonder if I should focus more on quantity (of women I contact) and less on length of messages I send.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:56 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

Again, I don't see people having a problem with the study. We are having issues with your interpretation of it.

There is a huge difference between 1) having issues with the data 2) having issues with the researchers interpretation of the data 3) having issues with extrapolation of the interpretation of the data to wider situations, and MOST relevant to this situation, 4) A layperson's presentation of what a study is saying to another group and claiming the data supports a position that it does not.

And sure, plenty of 50+ women get hit on a lot. Nothing in that study indicates otherwise.

Quote:
I was hoping to hear people's thoughts on the data from the study. Instead I got a bunch of emotional responses from people who reject the data for personal reasons. There's no objectivity here, it's all reactionary b.s. because facts are offensive.
I have not seen anyone reject the data. Only your interpretation and presentation of the data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships