Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 01:09 PM
RJ_ RJ_ started this thread

743 posts, read 392,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That the problematic way you truly view women, deep down inside, is revealed by your use of language on this forum?
But hypergamy is a biological evolutionary fact. It has nothing to do with how I view women and everything to do with understanding human nature and primate nature.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
Here's the thing, men and women are natural hypergamous, women more so than men. Therefore, we naturally seek more desirable mates. A less enthusiastic message signals a person that doesn't need your attention because they themselves are highly desirable.
I think you are over-thinking this. Even if you are right I bet the effect would be < 1%.

You state something as a fact, then you build a castle on your fanciful cloud in the sky.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
On this site, there's a strong correlation between using the word hypergamy or referring to women as females and having ugly attitudes toward women. What social meaning can we glean from you using hypergamy and referring to women as females in the same comment? Discuss.
I tend to look at the world though an analytical or scientific lens. I'll admit that. But in no way am I being "ugly." Hypergamy is a common characteristic of nearly every mammal, including humans.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
But hypergamy is a biological evolutionary fact. It has nothing to do with how I view women and everything to do with understanding human nature and primate nature.
Is that what you tell the women who visit you at home?

Seriously, I'm talking about cumulative posts since you started here, not a one-time use of the word "hypergamy." You have problematic ideas about women that you have revealed in other posts here, about dating and about your family in other subforums.

You think one person can be responsible for your emotional well being.
You have unresolved issues with your dad.
You have very confused feelings about being sexual with women.

YOUR PROBLEMS have everything to do with how you view women (and your rejected diagnosis, but we won't get into that).

Old 08-09-2018, 01:13 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Where did you get your biological degree and study biology? Mine is from the University of Vermont. It's curious that in all my mammology and wildlife behavior classes, never mind anthropology courses (my minor as archaeology really interested me) that "hypergamy" in mating systems or genetics, or well, anywhere ever once came up. We sure did cover the differences in mating systems of the Great Apes though.

You sure your knowledge of evolution and biology aren't from, say, reddit?

Old 08-09-2018, 01:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think you are over-thinking this. Even if you are right I bet the effect would be < 1%.
I agree. If these "facts" played out IRL, nobody would ever hook up, period. Because each part of each couple can't be better (in some as yet undefined way) than the other half of the couple. That's sort of a mathematical mind-bend, actually.

It's just baloney as played out in day-to-day interactions. In REAL interactions MORE people than not, choose others at about their, if you will, level in various ways. These may include things like education, looks (more or less, there's no non-emotional, non-biased gauge for this), and so on. In addition, greater than 90% of U.S. individuals marry within 7 years maximum of their own age.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Where did you get your biological degree and study biology? Mine is from the University of Vermont. It's curious that in all my mammology and wildlife behavior classes, never mind anthropology courses (my minor as archaeology really interested me) that "hypergamy" in mating systems or genetics, or well, anywhere ever once came up. We sure did cover the differences in mating systems of the Great Apes though.

You sure your knowledge of evolution and biology aren't from, say, reddit?
Scroll down to the references...I'm sure you'll find someone in there who's research you respect, I mean, someone other than yourself.

http://web.simmons.edu/~turnerg/MCC/Matechoice2PDF.pdf

Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I tend to look at the world though an analytical or scientific lens. I'll admit that. But in no way am I being "ugly." Hypergamy is a common characteristic of nearly every mammal, including humans.
Not really, because you (using somewhat emotional language) tend to eliminate actual data as bogus if you don't like the data, then (unsupported) view such things as implications in a "study" as fact (even if they may be correlation and not causation, or have a different cause) if you like those facts.

That's the opposite of looking at the world through a scientific lens. You only pull out this "I'm analytical and logical" stuff when you find a "study," even if it's a badly done one with assumptions. Otherwise you drop it and talk about other people's actual firm data, like census, for example, as "completely irrelevant," "bogus" or whatever.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Yeah, but there is only a certain subsection of the typical human population who is aware of that word and uses it freely, and they aren't social scientists. And they do mean it in an ugly way.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:19 PM

By the way, science indicates hypergamy, even in its limited human-world fashion for a number of prior centuries (due to cultural constructs, an inability of a woman to support herself, etc.), is on the severe decline. Why? Because now, women can support themselves. Just like ANYWHERE in the animal kingdom, where social constraints don't hold one gender down and incapable of supporting itself.

Read the abstract, it's fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships