Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 09:56 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,138 times

Advertisements

I've just started blocking people online if they don't respond after 2-3 days, because it seems that that's a decent amount of time to indicate that if someone's interested then they would have responded/messaged by then so it's more for me, so I can move on, forget about it, and not have to keep checking and wondering, and possibly deal with them popping up again.

What about you? What amount of time do you feel is normal or reasonable for someone to respond or message, if they're interested? I find it's usually 1-2 days, but I'll give them another day or two, or longer, if I'm bored or busy and haven't been online for a while anyway...but usually it seems like I was right in that if it's been 1-3 days then I might as well just block them anyway and forget about it.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times
Why do you block someone who isn't even contacting you??? LOL! What's the purpose?

If the person just randomly popped up again that would really be that upsetting? How come? But I mean more to the point...they're NOT contacting you...I don't know. Honestly, this seems a little silly.

My answer: I have only blocked one person in my entire life and we had a real history and there was real impact, and legitimate, sometimes frightening harassment in an ongoing way.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Why do you block someone who isn't even contacting you??? LOL! What's the purpose?
to...prevent them from contacting you...or being able to contact you...

Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
to...prevent them from contacting you...or being able to contact you...
Right, my point is...they're already NOT contacting you.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:14 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
Quote:
Right, my point is...they're already NOT contacting you.
I think it's all about 'control' for this generation. There is no fathomable reason someone would have to block others who have already shown they are not interested. I don't call the chimney sweep to tell them to skip my house because I don't have a fireplace. Redundancy department of redundancy.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
If the person just randomly popped up again that would really be that upsetting? How come?
for me, yes. after a certain amount of time, anyway. mainly because it seems to indicate interest, and if you start talking to someone, usually you talk every day (and they're usually the ones messaging me), so after several days, a week, etc...if they don't message for a day, or two, or three...usually it's safe to assume they won't be, so might as well just block them so you can forget about it and move on. as I said in my original post.

Quote:
But I mean more to the point...they're NOT contacting you...I don't know.
obviously. but it's to prevent them from contacting, if you had read the whole post.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:22 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,388 times
Quote:
for me, yes. after a certain amount of time, anyway. mainly because it seems to indicate interest, and if you start talking to someone, usually you talk every day (and they're usually the ones messaging me), so after several days, a week, etc...if they don't message for a day, or two, or three...usually it's safe to assume they won't be, so might as well just block them so you can forget about it and move on. as I said in my original post.

obviously. but it's to prevent them from contacting, if you had read the whole post.
I'm with you on this. I block people for two reasons; a.) they don't respond to my messages in a reasonable amount of time. Which is much less often than... b.) If they contacted me and i'm not attracted to them or they have a dealbreaker in their profile.

By blocking them I am eliminating them from the other profiles, effectively streamlining the process. Also, by blocking someone you're not interested in, it sends a clear message that you're not a viable match.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I'm with you on this. I block people for two reasons; a.) they don't respond to my messages in a reasonable amount of time. Which is much less often than... b.) If they contacted me and i'm not attracted to them or they have a dealbreaker in their profile.

By blocking them I am eliminating them from the other profiles, effectively streamlining the process. Also, by blocking someone you're not interested in, it sends a clear message that you're not a viable match.
yes, thank you. the only other reason I've blocked people, are the people that keep sending messages with no response, and even make up another profile and keep doing it (so obviously blocking them doesn't even help in that case, you have to tell them to f-off)...the kind of scum that make women want to delete their profile.

I wish I could block (or rather, 'hide', some other people, like ones I've already dated, and would rather not see...but you can't do that on some sites... :/) so yes, it does help (for some people, at least) to have out of sight, out of mind...

Old 08-14-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:

I did read the whole post. You did not mention that apparently, you're talking about someone you had a history with? And they suddenly dissapear??? Well...for two to three days.

And you don't call them?. "Hi, we have a history! Why haven't you texted in two days? Let's officially break up so I can move on."

Old 08-14-2018, 10:40 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,388 times
Quote:
yes, thank you. the only other reason I've blocked people, are the people that keep sending messages with no response, and even make up another profile and keep doing it (so obviously blocking them doesn't even help in that case, you have to tell them to f-off)...the kind of scum that make women want to delete their profile.

I wish I could block (or rather, 'hide', some other people, like ones I've already dated, and would rather not see...but you can't do that on some sites... :/) so yes, it does help (for some people, at least) to have out of sight, out of mind...
I only use two online dating sites; bumble and eharmony. On bumble, it's pretty simple. The woman has 24 hours to initiate contact, if she doesn't, you move on. If she does initiate contact, I usually always respond within 15 to 30 minutes as my ipad gives me an auditory notification when someone messages me. I see no reason why it would take someone 24 hours to respond, but if they do take that long, I'll bear with them. If they do it again, I'll simply assume that they're not interested in me or they want to play games, then I'll unmatch them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships