Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 07:58 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times

Advertisements

A female friend of mine posted on FB about how she keeps getting warnings from Tinder that since she hasn't been active in so long, they threaten to deactivate her.

The post spiraled into a conversation about online dating/apps. She said she isn't really interested in dating right now at all, esp. with being a busy single mother. Then says that she just prefers to browse around in it, kind of like looking through a catalog while waiting for your dental appt., but with no intention of meeting.

Then she says, "Sounds crappy, I know, but...it is, what it is"

And I'm thinking, "Yeah, that is crappy, but she isn't alone and there are tons of women out there like that that just go as far as to having chat buddies, but when you bring up meeting, they stop responding/ghost"

So...this kind of gives you an idea of how much people are up there online with no intention of meeting....and the "it is what it is", though crappy, is par for the course, yes?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Par for the course for both guys and gals. Plenty of people use it to just kill time. Or turn it on when in a new area to see whats around. Heck, loads of people delete the apps but not their profiles, so they're just out there. I've seen people that I know are married and not looking for years on them from time to time. No biggie. I've only bothered to meet, I think, one person in like 3 mos. The app has no way of knowing if I met 0 or 20.

I don't at all believe the statement that they threaten to delete here for being inactive (yeah, not happening... if she isn't on there, she wouldn't see warnings, and if she is on there, she wouldn't get them... so yeah, not true), since it is entirely to the benefit of the app to have her on there forever (match learned this years ago). The more profiles the better, which is why they embed so many fake profiles in there as well (pretty easily identifiable if you have a clue) since they need to keep people engaged in swiping.

It's a non issue.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:23 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Don't you ever talk to men about all these dating topics you're so keen to talk to women about? Don't you have any guy friends who talk about what they do on Tinder or OLD?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:29 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
I think it's asking a lot for people to remove their online profiles every time they are too busy to date for awhile.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think it's asking a lot for people to remove their online profiles every time they are too busy to date for awhile.

It is interesting that they monitor the conversations and figure out who is really meeting or not as well.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:31 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't you ever talk to men about all these dating topics you're so keen to talk to women about? Don't you have any guy friends who talk about what they do on Tinder or OLD?
Oh yeah quite frequently. In fact, that's what inspired this post. Men complaining how they hardly ever get responses and she is reflective of what's part of the problem since women are getting tons of emails. I have seen tons of men complaining why they rarely get responses, or if they get a response, the lady ghosts when they attempt to set up a meeting. Since it's typically on the man to ask the women out, just makes sense since the ball is being put in their court.

In fact, I participated in threads that discussed this very thing. It's only the fact that I am a man that has an interest in women that my posts comes off sounding as such, as I have no interest in dating men.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:32 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
A female friend of mine posted on FB about how she keeps getting warnings from Tinder that since she hasn't been active in so long, they threaten to deactivate her.

The post spiraled into a conversation about online dating/apps. She said she isn't really interested in dating right now at all, esp. with being a busy single mother. Then says that she just prefers to browse around in it, kind of like looking through a catalog while waiting for your dental appt., but with no intention of meeting.

Then she says, "Sounds crappy, I know, but...it is, what it is"

And I'm thinking, "Yeah, that is crappy, but she isn't alone and there are tons of women out there like that that just go as far as to having chat buddies, but when you bring up meeting, they stop responding/ghost"

So...this kind of gives you an idea of how much people are up there online with no intention of meeting....and the "it is what it is", though crappy, is par for the course, yes?
Men as well. A close woman friend that's been an avid user of Tinder since its inception just recently told me that 90% of all men she encounters, never intend to meet; they're just on there for an "ego boost". When pressured to meet....its crickets.

She said it was never like this, but it has evolved into a chatting app.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is interesting that they monitor the conversations and figure out who is really meeting or not as well.
You know, if I found out a guy I was interested in wasted his time like that I would be majorly turned off. It seems so...effete.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Men as well. A close woman friend that's been an avid user of Tinder since its inception just recently told me that 90% of all men she encounters, never intend to meet; they're just on there for an ego boost. When pressured to meet....its crickets.

She said it was never like this, but it has evolved into a chatting app.

This is one of the two big complaints from my female friends as well.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:34 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
People like the OP mention are easy to ferret out. When I was on online dating apps, if someone didn't want to meet in a reasonable amount time I simply moved on from them. It's really no big deal. There are a lot of people on these apps that are just bored and looking for online entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships