Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:17 PM

272 posts, read 218,427 times

Advertisements

I was watching an episode of Desperate Housewives (I know, guilty pleasure) and there's a scene talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOqgbk2tYd8

But it got me thinking, when it comes to finding a good man, what is it that makes you feel safe? Not just in terms of physical safety but emotionally and spiritually safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 06:22 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times
I love that set so much. It's in Burbank. I think it's also Grandview (Ghost Whisperer) and it was even Leave it to Beaver. IIRC.

Safe...hmmm...he has to be willing to take care of things. That doesn't mean he HAS to - I expect to take care of things too. It's the fact that he would be *willing* to. I guess just...acting like an adult. Capable.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,453,798 times
For me to feel safe with a man, I have to feel overwhelmingly that I can trust him not to exploit my vulnerability.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:15 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,626,036 times
No man has ever particularly made me feel safe, but I like men who are non-threatening. I had a guy doing some work in my house today and I wasn’t watching him the whole time, but I wasn’t worried about it because he had a non-threatening appearance so I felt safe. I never once thought he might attack me or steal anything, so it was fine. I don’t think this is what the OP meant though. lol

For me to feel emotionally safe, he would have to be very accepting of me and not judgmental. I would need to know that he’s trustworthy.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:20 PM

52,308 posts, read 52,764,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
For me to feel safe with a man, I have to feel overwhelmingly that I can trust him not to exploit my vulnerability.
When I was 18 or so I was driving alone and came across an elderly lady on the side of the road with apparent car troubles. I pull over and walk up to her and asked her if I could help out. She was a little small elderly black woman and looking at her I realized that she was practically terrified of me. I'm literally not a scary guy, especially back then, I was skinny and like a puppy dog. I quickly and politely left after she refused any help. I remember her all these 30 years later. I'll always remember that look of fear and uncertainty she had.

I say this because it made me really understand how women may feel so much more vulnerable than men and myself in particular.

I've done my best to not be a guy that would make a woman feel uncomfortable. To the point of not being as aggressive in pursuing women in the romantic sense. Luckily, I never had to work that hard anyway.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:23 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
My own capability do defend myself. Why would I need a man to feel safe? I don't truly trust anyone, just myself.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:28 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
My own capability do defend myself. Why would I need a man to feel safe? I don't truly trust anyone, just myself.

I clicked on the thread because of the oddity of the question.

If I feel safe or unsafe, it has nothing to do with a man. How would a man make one feel safe?

The most unsafe I ever felt in my life was when I was married. I learned how to make myself feel safe when I realized that a woman has a kitchen full of weapons.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
When I was 18 or so I was driving alone and came across an elderly lady on the side of the road with apparent car troubles. I pull over and walk up to her and asked her if I could help out. She was a little small elderly black woman and looking at her I realized that she was practically terrified of me. I'm literally not a scary guy, especially back then, I was skinny and like a puppy dog. I quickly and politely left after she refused any help. I remember her all these 30 years later. I'll always remember that look of fear and uncertainty she had.

I say this because it made me really understand how women may feel so much more vulnerable than men and myself in particular.

I've done my best to not be a guy that would make a woman feel uncomfortable. To the point of not being as aggressive in pursuing women in the romantic sense. Luckily, I never had to work that hard anyway.
That woman, like so many other girls and women, probably had an incident (or several) in her lifetime, that she was on her tensest of nerves. You mention that she was small, old, female, and black - she had all those characteristics that each, by themselves, is adequate to make one feel vulnerable, and exploitable. I hope you didn't take it personally, but countless women who were younger, stronger, bigger, have been victimized in horrifying ways for merely having a breakdown on a highway. So much so, that LE started releasing warnings and instructions for what women should do if they find themselves broke down and alone. This was of course before every five year old had their own cell phone.

Sometimes, like in the case of your little old lady, there's just no way to feel 'safe' no matter how well intended a Good Samaritan might be. I hope you don't take her reaction personally. I can only imagine what that poor old lady lived through before that car trouble incident.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh my, I misinterpreted the question. I thought he was asking about what makes a woman feel safe in the company of a specific man.

As others have said, the safest I have felt has been without a man. I don't know if I ever really felt safe with my ex hub in the house. Hence, ex.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:37 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,670,201 times
I've had moments or periods where a man has made me feel safe but it's never been consistent and ongoing. I guess when I find that one man that makes me feel that way consistently, he'll probably be "the one".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships