Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 10:21 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,262 times

Advertisements

You were in love with an idea of who she could be and not who she was.

She is ill and may always be ill; you didn't do anything wrong. There is nothing you could do to help her. Put that thought aside.

Keep busy, do not have any contact with her or her relatives. Time is a great healer but you have to help it by not obsessing and going over the past. If you can't do that alone, get some counseling.

Good luck on finding someone who will appreciate your worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 03:00 AM

7 posts, read 3,388 times
Thanks guys for the encouraging words. I woke up better today as i read the city data replies. I will begin Gym on monday. Maybe I can find a way to get her out of my head.

I live in a small area and we are bound to bump into each other. what do I do when we do?

I will be friendly but it will be awkward.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:27 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,930,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelck View Post
Hello there,

Recently because of unstable mood lately I have been lurking on this website looking for answers to complex questions of my relationship. We broke up months ago but the romance that we shared still haunts me. No matter how much I try to forget, those thoughts I have of us still visits me.

This may in fact be a very long post, so brace yourselves.

So I met this girl whilst I was out with the boys. You know how it is. Sometimes you hang out with friends, dancing, drinking then all of the sudden your eyes meet another girls eyes and that feeling hits you in the tummy. Men know all too well that feeling of the butterfly within his stomach. So we dance a bit and exchange numbers. Who would think that you can meet the someone that would have such an impact on your life, in a bar? of all places. If someone had prophesied this to me I would have told them their were liars.

Anyway we began texting and calling each other and our romance began to grow. As someone who has had a nightmare with a previous relationship before, i thought to myself this was just Karma giving me the relationship I deserved. She was perfect. Everything I could ask for in a lover and we didn't even have sex yet. There was no words to express how intelligent she was, how caring, how loving. I should have known because it was too good to be true. I have initial worries about our age different because I am nearly a decade older, but things seemed very good.

So after a while I had to travel for a month to another country on a business trip and I tell her that when I come back I would love to continue this relationship. So I travel many miles away to a foreign land on business. We chat the whole time messaging each other. I think we must have texted almost everyday. Well the business trip lasted a whole month with me becoming more and more anxious to meet my lady. When you have these feelings days feel like months. Finally the business trip is over and I can get back to my lady. Spent another many hours on the plane I can't wait to be home.

The next day I call her to arrange a meeting. I bought her a present and can't wait to give it to her. I am waiting nervously at this cafe to see her. About 10 mins later she arrives at the venue, however something is wrong. She has lost some much weight. I mean so bad I can see her skeleton bones on her shoulder. It is funny how you can often overlook certain traits when you have feelings for someone. Obvious signals of problems can seem like no big deal. We hug and kiss, talk a bunch about what happened since I was away etc. After catching up we part ways but keep contact on the phone. I do mention to her that I am concerned about her physical state and that I think she should try and stop the weight loss. Also I politely as her to stop seeing the crazy dietitian because there is nothing else to lose.. I mean I was only gone a month, how can you drop weight that quickly? (Looking back I should have not said this)

So we continue the relationship and things just seem like a dream. It was like Vanilla Skies and the sex was very good. I felt like I won the lottery. We were both happy nothing was wrong. I become Mr Romance, sending flowers and candy. I even began to walk differently. More confident because I had the girl of my dreams. One time she came over to mine and we went out and had an excellent time. However after the lovely date she starts behaving in a very strange way. She keeps going to the bathroom. Constantly. (I should have clocked on to this also because I consider myself a fairly astute guy but I had rosy colored glasses on)

It all began to fall apart about a few months later. She writes me how happy she is that things are going well and that she tells me one her dark secrets from her past. How she once indulged in a form of self bodily harm through a form of cutting. She claims at the time she was a teenager and that it was only once (again another red flag that my rosy colored glasses should have picked up). As usual I tell her that it was in the past and this is today. We are together and we can both fix anything.

After about a week or so later she tells me that she wants to come over. So I meet her at my place, and everything is still cool, that was until we had to go to sleep. I try to touch her getting ready for the usual deed and she freaks out. I calm her down and ask her what is wrong. She tells me she has been seeing a psychologist about some issues she was having. I manage to calm her down and put her to sleep. The next morning I make us breakfast but she seems out of sort and wanted to go home quickly. I get drive her home and assure her that nothing about this changes how i feel about her.

The next day I call her and reassure her that I am there for her and whatever problems she is facing is not impossible and that we can over them together. I offer to take time off work and go with her to her counseling sessions and whatever she needs I will support her. So we both agree to go together to and she offers to go with me on a certain date. So that date comes and I leave the office early because I am planning to go with her. I call her phone she doesn’t answer. Then I send a message to which she replies that she was in the shower and just came out. She tells me that she will be on her way to the therapist. So I ask her where to go so i can meet her. She behaves as if I have no idea what I am talking about and that she prefer to go alone. So I happily oblige.

Things begin to go from bad to worse from this point. Petty arguments become bigger and bigger and the girl that I saw, so many ago, is hardly recognizable both in physical and mental form. We can't have sex because she hates the idea and feels anxiety about the whole thing. Things get so bad that I consider leaving the relationship all together but I think to myself things will get better. Except there is that part of my brain saying you can get leave this relationship before it goes south. Except you are going to be the jerk that leaves a girl when she is in critical condition and needs your help. So I decide to stay and try and work things out. But the arguments get worse to the point that I am beginning to not recognize myself. Her mood changes from hot to cold. She is always too busy to meet. I am constantly apologizing for things I didn’t do wrong just so that I can stay with her. I just can't get anything right. I feel like I am walking on a string and my relationship is on the edge of a pin. One slight move the wrong way and it is all over.

Well the final nail in the coffin came mid December just before Christmas. My then GF collapses and has to go to the hospital. I get the message from her and rush down stairs like a bat out of hell. The office staff must have thought I lost my mind. Just before I start the ignition i get a call from her saying she is ok and that the doctors have diagnosed her with anorexia. I feel horrible and offer to come see her after work but she declines and tells me she will call me at night. When I get home I call one of her relatives and seek advice on how I can help her because I am really worried. The relative informs me of some shocking news. Not only is one of her parents in hospital over a serious illness but she herself has issues and that there is little I can do except support her anyway that I can. Her problems stem from things that happened in her teen years and that they thought I should break up with her and try and remain friends instead. How absurd and idea, I thought to myself. You want me to break her heart? No way, I thought to myself we will fight this thing.

The next day I call to see how she is and she tells me she is with one of her relatives in the hospital. I tell her I know about everything and that I am staying to fight beside her in regards to her issue and that I was aware of the illness of one of her parents because I spoke to one of her relatives the day before. Nothing was going to tear me away. This was the final nail in the coffin and if I had known it was going to end this way, I would have kept my mouth shut. She literally flips out. I mean she goes crazy. I am sure at this point had I been in from of her she would have hit me. It get so bad she hangs up. In 10 mins I receive a message informing me that our relationship is over. I call back trying to patch things up but she is not accepting any kind of apology. I may as well go and jump off a bridge, for all she cares. I think let me give her space and call her later. So I call her later after everything has calmed down and try to plead with her not to act rash and that I had her best interest at heart. She tells me she is still mad and that the best I can hope for is friendship right now and that she can’t be in a relationship right now. Devastated doesn’t even begin to cover how i feel. I felt like the world around me was crashing around me.

I decide to give her some space and didn’t contact her for a while until new years eve where I sent her and her relatives a new years message. I received replies from all of them even her. And she asked if we can remain friends to which I wrote a lengthy email explaining why I can’t be her friend because of the feeling. So we don’t speak for a few months and at this point I got very good at staring at walls for hours on end. I don’t hear anything until a 2 months later where she contacts a relative of mine and she impresses upon them that therapy was great and that she still wants a friendship with me. I was going to call and accept the offer with the hopes that I can resurrect our relationship, but on the advice of a certain friend of mine she tells the fact that she is doing this is very suspicious and that I should stay put and not respond. She hardly knows this particular relative and how of the blue she sends a message after a long time.

So at this point she removes me of instagram and facebook. I didn’t like it but I accepted it. I decide to stay put but about a month later a friend informs be she has a new love and has plastered photos of them all over social media. I didn’t need this at this point. I was at the point of forgetting about her (or so i thought) and this guy tells me this, at this point. I felt really bad, I mean I felt a mix of emotions and I began to feel guilty about the situation. I can only imagine how things would have turned out if I took the “lets remain friends option. I began blaming myself for what happened. If only I did this, If only I did that, If only I didn’t do that. My brain began to run in a needless circle. I constantly review old messages and texts trying to find out where i failed.

I still feel horrible and guilty and I not sure why. I didn’t do anything wrong (at least I think I didn't) but try to love her the best I can. She broke our relationship like it meant nothing and moved on without a second thought. Why do I feel so guilty?

I apologize for the long text. I even feel horrible expressing my problems on a website.

Thanks for any help on the matter...
I'm really sorry about what happened. I did read everything you wrote because I am the other half of a former relationship where the other can't move on and I did (and I feel terrible about it. We parted ways amicably and there was nothing more than that we grew apart and developed different values and interests). I think what you really need to realize is the happiness part in the beginning of your relationship was a facade, that the reality was the walking on egg-shells. If that is what you wanted in a relationship then it will be difficult for you to move on from that and with fairly good reason (In my opinion it's tougher when there wasn't anything glaringly "wrong" with the other person, that one person moved on and the other didn't for whatever reason). However, I really think you dodged a bullet here. The gf may have been what you wanted in the beginning, but that really isn't how she is.

I'm not sure how long your relationship lasted because you give no time indicators but it didn't seem like it was years and years (though I may be mistaken). Sometimes it takes a year or more for people to show their true colors and it sounds like that is what happened when the happiness part of your relationship took a turn for the worse. The facade cracked and you saw how she really is. It doesn't do much good to pine after a figment. Those aren't real. You couldn't have it even if you and her were together still.

Like I intimated before I really do think you will look back on this, if you can get to the point where you realize that what you are pining for really didn't exist, and understand how fortunate you are that things actually didn't work out. For right now, try to get some interest outside of dating/relationships--do you have a hobby or something you like to do?

When I was broken up with a long time ago in college (at the time I was devastated but looking back, I'm glad things didn't work out) I forced myself to do something else besides pine away or look for another relationship (worked on jigsaw puzzles, watched old black-and-white movies). It really worked! A few months later I was happy just being me and a little while after that without me looking for it I met the person I had a long-term relationship with about ten years (the one which sadly ended when we just grew apart).

I really believe the old cliched saying here will turn out to be true for you, that in time you will get past this. Best wishes, and I do think this is very normal for you to feel this way after a relationship where at some point it was good; you just need some time to heal and get some perspective on things.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for the encouraging words. I woke up better today as i read the city data replies. I will begin Gym on monday. Maybe I can find a way to get her out of my head.

I live in a small area and we are bound to bump into each other. what do I do when we do?

I will be friendly but it will be awkward.
Awkward won’t kill you. Keep it brief and businesslike.

“How you doing? Good to see you. Gotta go....”

Don’t foster drama. You have to make a concerted effort to stop romanticizing this and move yourself forward.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:00 AM

New development - One of her parents just passed.

Should I send some kind of condolence...

Old 09-02-2018, 11:11 AM

34,238 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:

NO! You are just using that as an excuse for contact. You are much better off without her as she is a very unstable person with a lot of issues, none of which are healthy. Just hope she gets better, and move on. Believe me, you are better off. I know from experience that being involved with someone with mental issues, personality disorders, etc is NOT healthy, nor a basis for a relationship.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:44 PM

1,058 posts, read 677,111 times
This girl had serious issues when you met her. You just couldn't see them because you were so enamored by her. Be glad you dodged this bullet. You can't save people. She needs to work on herself.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:54 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,969 times
Quote:

Yes. Mail a card signed by you with no return address or contact info.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:

Just curious - who told you that her parent passed away?

Old 09-03-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Just curious - who told you that her parent passed away?
A friend of mine, who later became a friend of hers through me sent me a text message. I knew eventually that this was going to happen because the parent was terminally ill.

I feel bad about it but it is her new boyfriends problem, not mine.

I am even beginning to find it a little suspicious how our mutual friend keeps sending me information. Almost like she is indirectly telling me.

But it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships