Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 02:26 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times

Advertisements

I recall the creepy thread started earlier, and I wanted to say I got into a conversation with a rather perceptive woman on this case. I've heard countless times, that a good looking man can get away with flirting with a woman in public or even approaching her, as opposed to a lesser attractive man...who comes off as creepy.

She said the lesser attractive men are less confident, look at you creepily from across the room, and simply don't know how to approach. And if they do approach, he's already creeped her out if he hadn't already.

Then he blames it on his looks and not how he comes off in his approach.

Is there some validity to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 02:49 PM

296 posts, read 265,945 times
Since both "creepy" and "attractive" are subjective, it's really hard to say. Some people's "creepy" is another person's "interesting and quirky".

Old 08-26-2018, 02:50 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica32 View Post
Since both "creepy" and "attractive" are subjective, it's really hard to say. Some people's "creepy" is another person's "interesting and quirky".
Right, but what she was saying is the creepiness excudes from his lack of confidence.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:53 PM

296 posts, read 265,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Right, but what she was saying is the creepiness excudes from his lack of confidence.
That doesn't make sense to me. In my brain, creepy equals potentially dangerous, stalker, might stab you in the neck with a poison dart during a date. Not having self confidence means more like someone who is just not as comfortable with the opposite sex, perhaps not as experienced, something like that. So I guess I define those two adjectives in a different fashion than the person(s) you spoke with.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
The how and when are creepy, looks do not play into it. A good lookimg guy can be creepy. It has happened to me plenty of times.

Being awkward doesn’t make you creepy. But there is a little bit of validity on how lack of comfidence, if it manifests into poor social skills will make someone come across as creepy. E.g. not knowing when to go away when someone is sending off leave me alome/not interested signals.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:04 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Creepy means stalker like, dangerous.

Men who are shy and are nervous about approaching women aren't what I would qualify as creepy.

Men who slip stuff in a woman's drink are an example of what I'd call creepy.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:11 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
I made the creepy thread and it had nothing to do with public approaches. Anyway, to answer the question unattractive and creepy are two different things. Unattractive often has to do with how you look and I will call it that. Creepy has to do with your approach. Someone could be attractive and still creepy.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:24 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I recall the creepy thread started earlier, and I wanted to say I got into a conversation with a rather perceptive woman on this case. I've heard countless times, that a good looking man can get away with flirting with a woman in public or even approaching her, as opposed to a lesser attractive man...who comes off as creepy.

She said the lesser attractive men are less confident, look at you creepily from across the room, and simply don't know how to approach. And if they do approach, he's already creeped her out if he hadn't already.

Then he blames it on his looks and not how he comes off in his approach.

Is there some validity to this?
I don't know, because IME, creepy is creepy; where the person rates on some scale on the genetic lottery is irrelevant. Good-looking guys can, and sometimes do, come across creepy. Maybe they're overly forward, maybe they have a vibe that doesn't conform with their words--like body language saying one thing, words saying another, or voice intonation saying something else. Maybe he's inappropriate with his words. Whatever. We've been through this umpteen times on this forum. An average guy with a warm smile can charm. End of story.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Creepy is a word that is completely overused. In recent times, it has been a word that has gained traction. The spike in the use of the word originates in the Millennial generation by women tending to be more socially inept than average to describe anything that takes them out of their safe space. A lot of times it's not actually creepy at all.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:57 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
When a guy is creepy but attractive, it just takes a minute longer to get to the Creep Factor. Attractive may get him close enough... but creepy loses out every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships