Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:52 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times

Advertisements

No need. The marriage institution itself will be irrelevant in 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 10:18 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Why don't we just eliminate the legal definition of "marriage" and replace it with a system designed to protect spouses and children? Then we can make the concept of marriage a religion and tradition thing...

Oh, that's right. We'd have the same system we have today, except different words codifying it.
Elimination of "marriage" would mean that the person named as your beneficiary doesn't need to be someone of the opposite gender (in most states), can be anyone relationship wise (even just a friend or relative), and can be married to someone else (or single). It would also be (as the OP suggested) a non-lifetime-binding contract.

That's not the same system we have today and the implications is far reaching than simply omitting terms.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
No need. The marriage institution itself will be irrelevant in 50 years.
I'm not religious. However, I think in 50 years it will still be relevant. I am just a believer of separation of church and state as well as letting people pursue happiness as they see it.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:29 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
I'm not opposed to marriage per se, so don't err in putting me in the anti-marriage camp.

I do think the current situation can turn into a horrible mess in its worst case.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:35 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
23 years and still going strong. Never cheated or had a desire to. Hoping our expiration date only ends when one of us has taken our last breath.
I tell ALL looking to get married for the first time. If you find that right ONE, life is great.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:45 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Again... false equivalency. As you said... typically a married couple is an economic unit. That isn't necessarily true today.. and is less and less applicable. Especially when a married couple in most states is still a man and woman of which neither are married to another.

Again... take legal marriage and remove lifetime binding contract (among other things) and ... you essentially have no marriage contract that resembles religious matrimony but with similar provisions/protections.

I also don't believe a couple who has a marriage that resembles religious matrimony should have privileges (estate tax exemption in this case) that other couples that do not resemble religious matrimony. You either tax all estates or tax none.
We will tax all; that's kinda my point.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Elimination of "marriage" would mean that the person named as your beneficiary doesn't need to be someone of the opposite gender (in most states), can be anyone relationship wise (even just a friend or relative), and can be married to someone else (or single). It would also be (as the OP suggested) a non-lifetime-binding contract.

That's not the same system we have today and the implications is far reaching than simply omitting terms.
You can certainly name anyone you please, of any gender, any marital status, any relationship to you, etc, right now. Your estate does not escape tax, though.

What reason do you have to assume that absent legal marriage, this same ability would continue to exist, but you can now name the person of your choosing as the one person with a special status?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I'm not religious. However, I think in 50 years it will still be relevant. I am just a believer of separation of church and state as well as letting people pursue happiness as they see it.
I completely agree. However, I don't view legal marriage as something religious, and thus something which violates the beloved principal of separation of church and state.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
We will tax all; that's kinda my point.
I am fine with that. I don't think taxation is enough reason to write in religious marriage into law.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You can certainly name anyone you please, of any gender, any marital status, any relationship to you, etc, right now. Your estate does not escape tax, though.
That's kinda my point. Why make exception to those that fit/live the traditional definition of religious marriage be given special privileges.

Quote:
What reason do you have to assume that absent legal marriage, this same ability would continue to exist, but you can now name the person of your choosing as the one person with a special status?
I have no reason to... that's why absent of legal marriage there would need to be a framework of laws to protect the beneficiaries. Separation of church and state... protect the individuals not the religious institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships