Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Are you sure?
Lol. Ok you got me.
Technically I have never had this but I’ve always tried on my side and wanted it. The guys couldn’t do it. And I don’t know why. Like, why can’t we be lovers and best friends at the same time?

On the flip side, I’ve yet to have a platonic male friendship either, even though I want one. So whatever is going to happen here, I am willing to see how it unfolds.

Last edited by srjth; 09-18-2018 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
The man's behavior on your date could possibly be partly explained by the "Metoo"thing. He doesnt want to be accused of anything. Men are in a real dilemma these days. Not agressive=means not interested. Agressive=sexual predictor. Men cannot read minds.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The man's behavior on your date could possibly be partly explained by the "Metoo"thing. He doesnt want to be accused of anything. Men are in a real dilemma these days. Not agressive=means not interested. Agressive=sexual predictor. Men cannot read minds.

No, but it isn't an issue if one can communicate and read non-verbal cues, which are usually as loud as verbal ones.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I had something to do last night, that’s why I couldn’t go. I definitely get the feeling that he likes to do last minute dates, based on his patterns. Very spontaneous. I’m fine with last minute dates too (not judging him) I will go if I can, I’m spontaneous too, but I can’t always make them and I hope he wouldn’t be mad if I can’t sometimes.
What you're calling "spontaneous," most people would call "still married and not able to freely allot his time."

Quote:
Technically I have never had this but I’ve always tried on my side and wanted it. The guys couldn’t do it. And I don’t know why. Like, why can’t we be lovers and best friends at the same time?
It sounds like you're trying to skip steps in the process.

Quote:
On the flip side, I’ve yet to have a platonic male friendship either, even though I want one. So whatever is going to happen here, I am willing to see how it unfolds.
I don't know why you seem to be hung up on having a male platonic friend.

You're willing to see how it unfolds? Well it sounds like you're willing to overlook your own stated dealbreakers whenever a guy is "super cute."

Old 09-18-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
What you're calling "spontaneous," most people would call "still married and not able to freely allot his time."

I know. That's what one of my friends thinks.

With that all I can really do is just wait and see.

Quote:
It sounds like you're trying to skip steps in the process.
What are the steps? Just wondering what you mean.

Quote:
I don't know why you seem to be hung up on this having a male platonic friend.
It's not THAT serious. If I don't get one I won't die.

Quote:
You're willing to see how it unfolds? Well it sounds like you're willing to overlook your own stated dealbreakers whenever a guy is "super cute."
What dealbreakers? You mean the kids? Well they live 3.5 hours away and he goes to see them once a month, so that I can deal with.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:05 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
I know. That's what one of my friends thinks.

With that all I can really do is just wait and see.
No, that's not all you can do. You also can tell him, "You know what? It sounds like you have a lot going on. Why don't you give me a call when your divorce is final?"

Quote:
What are the steps? Just wondering what you mean.
The "friends first" thing? People don't generally develop romance and friendship at the same time. Unless they start off in bed, there usually is some level of comfort and trust that develops before "romance" comes along.

Quote:
What dealbreakers? You mean the kids? Well they live 3.5 hours away and he goes to see them once a month, so that I can deal with.
Kids, still married, etc. The stuff you've talked about in your threads here.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
May I inquire if you are not of the same cloth in believing that a friendship is the foundation of relationship?
Maybe He is more mature in understanding what it takes in the long run of sustainability.

He was forthright and shared his standards. Is that unacceptable in your dating guidelines?

Every guy that I ever gave a second glance to, I made sure to be direct that without a "trust" and "Honesty" that is found amongst friends we weren't moving on to the next level.

If though you are allowing your imagination to decide if he is married or separated...address it and move along.
I too believe there must be friendship but IMO there does also need to be that spark, and for me, anyway, it has always been there from the beginning. Otherwise....well, that's what "just friends" are. A connection and getting along, without wanting something romantic.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
No, that's not all you can do. You also can tell him, "You know what? It sounds like you have a lot going on. Why don't you give me a call when your divorce is final?"

I can't say that until I'm sure (which I'm not) that he's still married.

Quote:
The "friends first" thing? People don't generally develop romance and friendship at the same time. Unless they start off in bed, there usually is some level of comfort and trust that develops before "romance" comes along.
Well this will be a new experience for me for sure. I will keep close tabs on how I feel about it along the way.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I too believe there must be friendship but IMO there does also need to be that spark, and for me, anyway, it has always been there from the beginning. Otherwise....well, that's what "just friends" are. A connection and getting along, without wanting something romantic.
Yes!!!!

Old 09-18-2018, 08:32 AM

So I remember that my ex-husband was this way when we first met. He asked me out, he was there in presence, he looked attractive to me, but he just wasn't very....affectionate, verbally or physically. Of course I was super young and could not recognize this at all and so what did I do? I did most of the work to make him relax and was bubbly and affectionate with him because I liked him and wanted to help him. This worked and of course he liked it. Eventually he opened up sexually (i.e. he wanted and initiated sex with me) and asked to marry me but the man NEVER opened up emotionally to me. He never showed me verbal affection and never non-sexual physical affection (i.e. just plain old touch). But the man was there. He was there... and he wanted to be with me. This confused the heck out of me, just as I am confused now with this new guy and my fear is that this guy is the same way. Because I know it exists. This time I am different though. I am not doing the work because had I not with my ex-husband, I think I would have saw and accepted the real him earlier. It didn't work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships