Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 02:19 PM

1,593 posts, read 776,422 times

Advertisements

Met a woman briefly in a professional setting about six weeks ago, just long enough to introduce ourselves. I didn't think I'd see her again any time soon (different city), so I didn't take it any further than that. Ran into her again recently at another event. We apparently share some mutual friends, who she was with. I reintroduced myself to her and chatted a bit. I think she's very attractive and she wasn't wearing a ring. She was friendly but didn't seem to give me any signs of interest (not that I've had a lot of success reading THOSE correctly).

But, pretty late last night she friended me on Facebook. I know, doesn't necessarily mean much. But she lives relatively close, works in the same general field, is very attractive, and seems like we share some commonality judging by her Facebook page. She's single. I'd like to get to know her better. I don't get opportunities like this very often, and I'd like to ask her out. But, it's unlikely I'm going to run into her again in person for a long while (next year), so it'll have to be done over Facebook.

So, how do I best go about asking her out? Be direct? Try to start a casual conversation with her first (I know she'd probably see through that)? Go for a friends type deal and see if I can get to know her better that way? Try to feel her out through our mutual friends?

Looking for any recommendations, I have not had success at this in the past.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Give it time. Post occasionally on her FB. See if she reciprocates occasionally. After a period of friendly exchanges like that. message her, to ask if she'd like to get together for coffee on the weekend. Or if there's a free event in your area, you could ask her if she'd like to meet you there, like an art fair, free concert, or whatever, and present that as a coffee get-together.

Note: she doesn't have to give you "signals" when encountering you the 2nd time. She was friendly. That's enough. A lot of women aren't even thinking in terms of a random guy potentially being a date. They're not constantly on the prowl, like that. It doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested, if you made a gesture. The fact is, that she's open, generally speaking, because she was friendly. The fact that you have mutual friends is a plus factor in your favor; it means you're in her circle, though somewhat distantly at the moment, but still, it means that people she knows and trusts know you. It means you're pre-vetted, to some extent. It also means you could conceivably ask your friends about her, at least to find out if she's dating anyone.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-21-2018 at 02:36 PM..

Old 10-21-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Give it time. Post occasionally on her FB. See if she reciprocates occasionally. After a period of friendly exchanges like that. message her, to ask if she'd like to get together for coffee on the weekend. Or if there's a free event in your area, you could ask her if she'd like to meet you there, like an art fair, free concert, or whatever, and present that as a coffee get-together.

Yeah. I tried something like that very recently, actually, with another woman (sort of the same set of circumstances, but I see her more often). Slow-play, exactly as you described it, over the course of months. Eventually we started chatting and she gave me her number. I worked my way up to asking her out for coffee. She said yes (a first for me, that Yes) but then bailed on the date right before we were to meet (I'd already driven to her city). She ghosted me afterwards. I'm assuming I misread all the signals.

I know: Different strokes for different folks. What works for some doesn't work for others. But the way my mind works is "X didn't work then, so let's try Y this time."

Old 10-21-2018, 02:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
How far apart do you live?

Old 10-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
Yeah. I tried something like that very recently, actually, with another woman (sort of the same set of circumstances, but I see her more often). Slow-play, exactly as you described it, over the course of months. Eventually we started chatting and she gave me her number. I worked my way up to asking her out for coffee. She said yes (a first for me, that Yes) but then bailed on the date right before we were to meet (I'd already driven to her city). She ghosted me afterwards. I'm assuming I misread all the signals.

I know: Different strokes for different folks. What works for some doesn't work for others. But the way my mind works is "X didn't work then, so let's try Y this time."
That's odd. Why would she give you her number, if she weren't interested in a simple coffee date or whatever? Did she volunteer her number, or did you ask for it? If you requested it, then it seems that she only gave it to you to be polite. That's too bad, OP. Don't let it get you down, though.

And bear in mind, that you do have friends in common with your new prospect. That's not magic, but it means the circumstances are a little different, than with the other person you mentioned.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
How far apart do you live?
70 miles. That's "relatively nearby" for where I live.

Edit: Wait, the one in the OP, or the other girl I described from a few weeks ago? The one in the OP lives 70 miles. My failed coffee date lives 130 miles away.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's odd. Why would she give you her number, if she weren't interested in a simple coffee date or whatever? Did she volunteer her number, or did you ask for it? If you requested it, then it seems that she only gave it to you to be polite. That's too bad, OP. Don't let it get you down, though.
She volunteered it. Moved from FB chat to phone texts. I've still never asked a girl specifically for her number. Don't know how common that even is anymore, what with social media taking over.

Edit: Well, that's the short version. Longer version is, she didn't respond to anything for about a week. Then, started texting me again...seemed to have good conversation, and I thought made a connection over some shared interests. So I take one more shot and ask her if she wants to catch coffee on another weekend when I'm going to be in her city, in a few weeks. "Sorry, I'm going to be busy that whole weekend."

So, done with that.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
She volunteered it. Moved from FB chat to phone texts. I've still never asked a girl specifically for her number. Don't know how common that even is anymore, what with social media taking over.
OK, now that does seem odd. You'll just have to chalk it up as a flakey person, or whatever. Don't let it reflect on you. Write it off. Keep on truckin'!

Old 10-21-2018, 02:57 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:

Edit: Well, that's the short version. Longer version is, she didn't respond to anything for about a week. Then, started texting me again...seemed to have good conversation, and I thought made a connection over some shared interests. So I take one more shot and ask her if she wants to catch coffee on another weekend when I'm going to be in her city, in a few weeks. "Sorry, I'm going to be busy that whole weekend."

So, done with that.
Did you meet this woman in professional circumstances, as well? She may have wanted to network, not date.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:03 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Stop asking women for "coffee", and ask them on a real DATE. Dinner, then some activity afterwards. Museums, shows, party at friends, ice skating. Anything. If you have confidence issues it comes through, especially with the coffee thing. The worst thing she can do is say no to a date, but at least you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships