Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I actually know one. Not those exact words, but she was dating a guy...was talking about him wanting to "test drive" her, dating-wise. And she tells us, "If he wants to test drive this, he better buy me (named off a big, name brand necklace)." Laughter ensued. Of course, she said that expensive piece of jewelry was an equivalent to "commitment" from the man in her eyes.
And there's no way she was snapping back sarcastically at a gross and uncalled for comment, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 05:22 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Are you also a trophy? If so, you have a fighting chance. Is it bad? No, you'll be making an implied agreement with another adult.
I have recently observed other men who have been swarmed over by younger ladies. So, yes I must say that I am a trophy myself [in comparison to those other men].

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
What do you mean by "trophy" wife? Yes, it's a serious and respectfully asked question.
The inter-web says: "a young, attractive wife regarded as a status symbol for an older man".

Old 10-23-2018, 05:30 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When the day comes, I will be looking for a trophy wife.

Is that bad?
Of course you want the best wife possible, in terms of personality, looks, shared values, financial stability, etc. What you can get depends on what you bring to the table. I'm dating again nearly two years after losing my husband, who was 15 years older and, similarly to you, I was pretty sure I'd outlive him and was always open to the idea of another relationship after he left this earth. (We had plenty of time to talk during his last illness and he supported the idea.)

Just remember that the women you're likely to consider are also likely to have high standards and definite ideas of what they want. It may take awhile!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:

When the day comes, I will be looking for a trophy wife.

Is that bad?
Do you have a lot of money? Like, a lot? That's the men who get trophy wives.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:42 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,355,697 times
Quote:
The inter-web says: "a young, attractive wife regarded as a status symbol for an older man".
I think your desire to find a trophy wife is only "bad" if it goes against your own conscience. It's nobody else's business, IMO. If you are conflicted about the moral status of your desire, give it some deep thought and do what your heart tells you. I'd go with that; it's usually right.

I, for one, could not care any less than I do about what people think about my choice of a man. It's not for them to say. I will say this though, I have been with a guy who was gorgeous, by almost anyone's assessment. He was boring and a dud. No amount of his outside could have made up for his barren insides. I learned a lot from that experience and have not made that mistake again.

Ya know, if I am with a man who is attractive on the outside but becomes ugly on the inside, I will leave him. Conversely, if I am with a man who loses the initial outward attractiveness that was one aspects of what drew my to him, e.g., he sustains major burns from a vehicle collision, but he retains his internal goodness, there is nothing that could separate me from him other than death.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:34 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Of course you want the best wife possible, in terms of personality, looks, shared values, financial stability, etc. What you can get depends on what you bring to the table. I'm dating again nearly two years after losing my husband, who was 15 years older and, similarly to you, I was pretty sure I'd outlive him and was always open to the idea of another relationship after he left this earth. (We had plenty of time to talk during his last illness and he supported the idea.)
Sorry to hear of your loss, you have my condolences.

Quote:
... Just remember that the women you're likely to consider are also likely to have high standards and definite ideas of what they want. It may take awhile!
Thank you for your advice.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:21 PM

777 posts, read 452,757 times
As a woman in her mid-50s, I think it may be a thing. But whatever. You like what you like. My SO is a few year younger, but he didn't want a woman that outweighed him. You like what you like.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:28 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
The concern several women have expressed for the almost certain disappointment older men who may want to date younger women will face is, well, let's say touching. I hope the guys take heed

Old 10-23-2018, 09:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
The concern several women have expressed for the almost certain disappointment older men who may want to date younger women will face is, well, let's say touching. I hope the guys take heed
They can go for it, why not? But if you want to know how we women feel about it, many of us having been there, it's not really that weird that we're going to answer honestly.

Guys "like what they like" and "want to be turned on" but so do we. And unless you're talking about a high schooler, most women don't "need" a man's money or think that "established" men are hotter no matter what the "established" man's age is, depending upon the age of the woman. If we're talking averages, there's a sort of ceiling there too.

Anyone can approach anyone, there's no law against a simple hello AFAIK.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:42 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
<snip>

My boyfriend is my Mother's age. My Mom is coming to visit me this weekend, and will be meeting him for the first time. That should be...interesting.
DO post details of the visit, if you feel so inclined.

I have a good friend who married a man 35 years her senior. She was very young when she met him, and he was a widower who kept himself in good shape. They once figured out that he turned 40 on the day she started kindergarten. He had a son older than she was.

They were happy until his death at 79. Had two children who were teenagers when he died. It has been nearly ten years, and she dates again, but she loved him and still mourns him.

He was a bit older than her parents, both of whom liked him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships