Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 05:43 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

So my weirdly long-term FWB situation seems to be over. We talked about giving a relationship a try and he did one of his disappearing acts after saying he wanted to give it a go. I went into it a while back knowing that any future was unlikely and I was fine with that. I was not ready to be in any kind of relationship given my situation, and he was just what i needed at the time. I think I was good for him too - he's a combat vet with severe PTSD, and I am a good listener and very hard to shock. I have no regrets about it, and I'm a realist about why we couldn't take it farther.

But after more than a year of therapy to deal with a bunch of issues, I feel ready to give a relationship a try (thus the situation with the FWB). I'm 42, so that's a little sad, I guess. Bu. t there was a lot of stuff in my past to work through.

In any case, there is a brand-new member of one of my creative groups that I belong to. He's smart and good-looking and seems to find me interesting. In our group discussions, he has repeatedly referenced my comments (and I have really enjoyed his contributions) and after I friended him on facebook, he started liking my posts pretty regularly, so I know we have similar values. He appears to be single, but possibly newly divorced.

I'm a beloved member of this group and have made a diverse range of friends through it. Basically, I don't want to poop where I eat, to put it more delicately than I usually do. But this is the first guy I've had a serious interest in other than the FWB in a looong time.

So I'm looking for nonawkward ideas on how to find out this guy's relationship status and ask him out for drinks (or coffee???). And how do I make sure the group dynamic stays chill - I think this guy is a great addition to the group, my attraction aside. He has great insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 07:38 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Take your time and get to know him better in as natural way as possible. If he’s interested, he’ll let you know.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

In any case, there is a brand-new member of one of my creative groups that I belong to.
How "brand new" to the group is he? You don't want to attack too early and scare him off.

Does the group ever go out after meeting to hang out/socialize etc? To me, that would be a logical setting in which to pair off with him, talk, flirt a teeny tiny bit, and get to know him better.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:42 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Get to know him as a group member. No need to rush things or take it to another level. You see him on a regular basis at the meetings.

Take it slow.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:03 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,636 times
Are you worried some other female from the group is going to get to him first since he is such a catch?

Also, with him being newly divorced- my rational side says just be friends and get to know him, but if the chemistry was incredible then I would probably be all ova that!

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:15 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
In any case, there is a brand-new member of one of my creative groups that I belong to. He's smart and good-looking and seems to find me interesting. In our group discussions, he has repeatedly referenced my comments (and I have really enjoyed his contributions) and after I friended him on facebook, he started liking my posts pretty regularly, so I know we have similar values. He appears to be single, but possibly newly divorced.

First, take a deep breath and relax.
Second, you need to find out if he's even divorced or single before you keep growing your feelings towards him.
Third, if he is single, you have two ways to do it. You can either rush in, which is my preferred way, but sometimes explodes in my face (and his); or you can take it slow and get to know him slowly and wait for him to show his interest in you. In my opinion, both methods are risky, so it's just a matter of which one you're more comfortable with.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:59 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Well, you know you like him as a friend, so move forward with that. I would ask him out for drinks or something, keep the conversation on your shared interests and see what's up.

That will give you chance to find out if he is single and such, and the worst case scenario if he isn't single is you've made a new friend.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-11-2018, 11:12 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Take it slow seems to be the general consensus. Well, that and verify his singletude. Got it.

I think the attraction IS there on his part. I felt like he was looking at me the whole time. It was a little weird. But then also, I'm kind of an extrovert when I'm in a comfortable situation, and I'm VERY comfortable with this crowd.So maybe he just found me obnoxious, lol.

Either way, we'll see if he shows up to the next meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships