Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:21 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdsharkey View Post
geez, sounds like my story but I didn't have 2 million to give. Anyway, my wife became depressed after both kids started school although I didn't know how depressed. Went a couple years with very little sex but figured it was a temporary thing. After a while she began acting much differently then hit me with the divorce thing. Of course she blamed me, I didn't care for her, didn't meet her needs blah blah. We went to counceling at my suggestion. still didn't figure her seeing someone. Then found a letter he wrote her. She'd been having an affair for quite a while 6 months or more. I tried making her happy, tried everything because of the kids until I realized nothing was going to work. We separated, and she got pregnant by the guy that was her soul mate, except he dumped her when she told him she was pregnant. She filled the kids with her hate and I refused to do the same. That was 27 years ago. I met someone and married her 22 years ago and still very happy. Kids grew up and realized on their own what happened and that she told them lies for years. Now the ex lives in a small apartment with dogs and cats and lives such a filthy life the grandchildren wont go inside to see her. Of course I lost all those years of my children not wanting to see me which I can never get back. But in the end, my ex paid a heavy price. I almost feel sorry for her. Almost.
That is so sad. Smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 09:01 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdsharkey View Post
geez, sounds like my story but I didn't have 2 million to give. Anyway, my wife became depressed after both kids started school although I didn't know how depressed. Went a couple years with very little sex but figured it was a temporary thing. After a while she began acting much differently then hit me with the divorce thing. Of course she blamed me, I didn't care for her, didn't meet her needs blah blah. We went to counceling at my suggestion. still didn't figure her seeing someone. Then found a letter he wrote her. She'd been having an affair for quite a while 6 months or more. I tried making her happy, tried everything because of the kids until I realized nothing was going to work. We separated, and she got pregnant by the guy that was her soul mate, except he dumped her when she told him she was pregnant. She filled the kids with her hate and I refused to do the same. That was 27 years ago. I met someone and married her 22 years ago and still very happy. Kids grew up and realized on their own what happened and that she told them lies for years. Now the ex lives in a small apartment with dogs and cats and lives such a filthy life the grandchildren wont go inside to see her. Of course I lost all those years of my children not wanting to see me which I can never get back. But in the end, my ex paid a heavy price. I almost feel sorry for her. Almost.
I'm sorry you went through that, and that your kids went through that. Realize, that depression is a mental illness. That should be clear, at this point. It's tragic, how couples fail to communicate. She needed mental health care, way back then, but probably didn't realize it, and instead, blamed you. Anytime sex drops off radically, for months, not to mention--two years, it's a symptom of something serious.

Very sad for everyone involved.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I would not take her back, cut her loose. If I were you, I’m done with this woman.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 AM

553 posts, read 302,604 times
This brings up a good point that people aren’t mind readers in relationships.

No one should pull away and stop having sex and expect their partner to get to the bottom of why they are so upset.

And if you notice a change in your partner, it’s equally important to tell your partner you notice a change, and ask what is going on.

The husband cannot be blamed for this any more than the ex wife.

And if the wife exhibited signs of depression and pulling away from the kids, all the more reason to get them into therapy so that they don’t have abandonment issues later on in life.

Last edited by Levels77; 11-14-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 11:24 AM

1,078 posts, read 938,528 times
I really appreciate you trying to work through this and take responsibility for your part in the relationship, OP. That is a loving and mature response to crisis.

But do realize there are limits you need to observe for yourself and her sake. Don’t enable her and her emotionally abusive treatment of you, her alcoholism, etc. Protecting the kids is critical and maintaining as much custody and visitation as you can is the best way to do it. Don’t speak badly of their mother either, but do listen if they want to talk. Therapy is a great idea too, for them AND you.

I wish you the very best and hope the divorce does go smoothly. Keep it business and get s solid lawyer. Document every contact and try to do as many things through email possible to have a written record, if you end up needing it. Realize that while you didn’t do everything right (you’re only human) she is ultimately responsible for her own choices and you cannot love her enough to save her from herself or self destruction if she is bent on it. Release yourself from that notion, it’s not your place to take that on.

I hope you get a happy ending out of this down the road, and closing this chapter with her is the first step to moving toward that.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:49 PM

468 posts, read 616,273 times
I can see where this is going to end up for her, and it ain't pretty. She has made some very poor decisions.

I do not believe that unhappiness can be used as an excuse for cheating. If you are unhappy, you tell your partner first, before running into the arms of another person. She seems very morally immature.

I wish you all the health and happiness in future.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:28 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
My ex was targeted by a sociopath...she manipulated his vulnerabilities and insecurities and convinced him of all sorts of things that were not reality. He was unhappy, and she just rolled right over him. He learned pretty quickly that she was controlling his every move, but he was powerless to do anything about it.
After a few years of her machinations he had a really hard time extricating her from his life.

She was welcome to him...he was unhappy and angry all the time. He was a morally weak person from the start and I should never have married him

Old 11-18-2018, 05:35 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Why would she only ask for 20% when she is legally entitled to 50%?

Old 05-02-2019, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 239 times
Very sorry you had to go through this. Hoping that you and your children are doing well.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:17 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,873,231 times
Well, sociopaths are more exciting in this overly shallow, hypergamistic world we now live in. She'll be sorry when she gets tired of her newfound beau beating her senseless every week, or maybe not.

I've seen this happen close to home (and we probably all have a story). A woman I know with a 8 year old daughter left a decent responsible man just to ride the "CC" with a guy who took her on expensive holidays every two seconds, only to be abused by her and attacked repeatedly. Now she's found somebody else, is still very unhappy and gained about 400lbs. Her kid can't be any better off for it, what a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships