Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 06:47 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I think those that do well with being alone probably had been through the trials and tribulations of marriage. Maybe once, twice, or thrice. By that time, they are too damaged to really have loneliness creep in. At this pointed, they are psychologically changed.

If they aren't damaged, then they simply got tired of looking at the same face over and over again or just preferred their own space.

Those who have years long dry spells are likely to be on the crunch to find someone.
I am happily single and have never been married. There are plenty of people who really aren’t that interested in relationship. I have friends, I have interests, I keep myself busy. If I happen to meet a guy I like along the way, great, but I am not going to go out of my way to do it. I don’t think that I am “damaged” - I just knew I didn’t want children from a fairly young age and pushing myself into a relationship just to have a relationship didn’t make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 07:06 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I am happily single and have never been married. There are plenty of people who really aren’t that interested in relationship. I have friends, I have interests, I keep myself busy. If I happen to meet a guy I like along the way, great, but I am not going to go out of my way to do it. I don’t think that I am “damaged” - I just knew I didn’t want children from a fairly young age and pushing myself into a relationship just to have a relationship didn’t make sense.
Well, I didn't consider children to be a factor. When I reached 40 I decided not to have them. I guess people that are interested in a relationship are clashing with those that are not?

I noticed in your response here, it's followed with, "If the right guy comes along, then great". Which kind of indicates that you'd be interested...but only if the right guy came along.

But...define "Going out of your way to do it"? Does this mean attending singles mixers, events, dating sites?

Old 12-22-2018, 08:10 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I think those that do well with being alone probably had been through the trials and tribulations of marriage. Maybe once, twice, or thrice. By that time, they are too damaged to really have loneliness creep in. At this pointed, they are psychologically changed.

If they aren't damaged, then they simply got tired of looking at the same face over and over again or just preferred their own space.

Those who have years long dry spells are likely to be on the crunch to find someone.

Yes, I would agree that the majority of people who are okay being alone have probably been burned and don't want to risk putting their hand in the fire again. They don't think it's worth it. As they say, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. They may still get lonely though, just not enough to do anything about it. It's worth mentioning that a smaller percentage of people exist who have never been burned but are still content to be alone.

I am ready for love and I am looking for that guy who is ready for love too, but is not bitter or jaded or trying to half-ass it (i.e. say no marriage, etc.) and his heart is fully open.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:09 AM

67 posts, read 34,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
“Better than being turned into a stump.”
What?

Old 12-22-2018, 09:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Imho, men generally want a women for sex and companionship. Women, traditionally needed a man to support them financially. Today, women can earn their own money, and their family will help to support them to some degree, or the govt will provide them a living. So, their need for men is limited

Old 12-22-2018, 10:31 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
because its sooooo much easier for a lady to attract attention or get a date.....all she has to do is smile....and men come running.....

ladies determine 100% if there is a date to begin with....and also a second date..... and how fast it initially progresses..
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
....not this again
@reneeh: right? When will this thinking ever die?

Yep. All we women have to do is smile, and we're suddenly surrounded by good, attractive, quality guys looking for the same thing we are.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
This is true if she is just looking for sex, doesn't care if it is good sex, doesn't care if the man views her as a convenient body instead of a person.

But if she wants real connection, well, that is every bit as elusive for women as it is for men.
Bingo! I don't get why some men can't seem to grasp this concept.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I dunno, I feel like for the loner man, the idea of a woman to be partnered with brings enhancements to his life.

But in the perception of a loner woman, a man would be a detriment, not an enhancement.

Maybe if men were, by and large, more giving and brought more to the table in a relationship, that could be different.

Or maybe it's because introverted women just don't like people, and they see men as absolutely being people. Which they do not like. So. Pretty straightforward. She doesn't like people, sees you as a people, and has no desire to interact with you. Pretty sound logic.

Begs the question of why an introverted man who doesn't like people would totally make an exception for a woman if he can engage in sex with her. Could it be he doesn't...see her...as..."people?" It's a thought...
I think that's a very worthwhile thought.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:41 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Imho, men generally want a women for sex and companionship. Women, traditionally needed a man to support them financially. Today, women can earn their own money, and their family will help to support them to some degree, or the govt will provide them a living. So, their need for men is limited
I can only hope the world isn't this transactional.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:46 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I can only hope the world isn't this transactional.
You didn’t know about Government Jobs for Wimmenz? Well no, I suppose not, you’re a man, you gotta make it on your own. You’ll never hear about Government Jobs for Menz. You guys can’t even plan a secret meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships