Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 AM

73 posts, read 34,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toknow View Post
Sorry? I never said any of these things. If I did, show me where.

Why are people bothered by honesty? How could I have told my story and NOT looked narcissistic?

Real question.

I wanted to be as honest as possible about my experiences so people could offer advice. If some of my experiences sound "positive" why does this bother people? Why?
This is from your very first post

"I try to keep myself up. I do my hair, make up, stay fit. I get a lot of stares, comments by men. I get the sense they are attracted on a physical level but it's not translating into relationships. "

Lots of stares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 AM

151 posts, read 90,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintbox View Post
There is a big difference between positive and narcissism. But you see how defensive you have gotten? You have even admitted that you look narcissistic and seem angered by it?
I didn't. I'm asking you: how could I have told the truth of my dating experience without YOU seeing me as narcissistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintbox View Post
This is from your very first post

"I try to keep myself up. I do my hair, make up, stay fit. I get a lot of stares, comments by men. I get the sense they are attracted on a physical level but it's not translating into relationships. "

Lots of stares?
Yes. This is the truth of my experience. Again, why are you bothered by this? Should I leave out details?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Look, I never said I was smarter or more beautiful than anyone in the Midwest. If someone read that, it is because that it was they wanted to read.

I said I work with a lot of smart, handsome men but they're mostly married or in relationships.
So it's not you who's wrong, it's how other people interpret you and they are wrong?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I didn't. I'm asking you: how could I have told the truth of my dating experience without YOU seeing me as narcissistic?

Yes. This is the truth of my experience. Again, why are you bothered by this? Should I leave out details?

The first issue is that you are claiming it's the "truth" of your dating experience. It really is just your perception of your dating experience. Just like the guy you said was staring at you at the library. You formed a conclusion of what you perceived happened. Unless he actually told you, you do not know the truth.

Secondly, I am not bothered at all. You've had 32 pages of basically supportive posts and you never seemed to lose your composure. Now I come along and make less than 10 posts and you are getting hostile. Perhaps this is how you handle conflicts in a relationship?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:52 AM

^^^^^When someone is looking in my eyes and when I move somewhere else they're still looking in my eyes then they're looking at me.

The bottom line: You misread my comment on the Midwest and were bothered enough to create an account to tell me how narcissistic I am.

You're ironically trying to prop up your own ego.

Anything I say you will twist to prove as narcissism so at this point I'll end the conversation with you. I would appreciate it if you'd do the same.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Is there some compelling reason why you have to live in the Midwest? You already know you'd have a better selection of compatible men back in metro Boston or a similar high cost of living place where white collar professionals migrate.
My reasons are to save to start my own business. It is more affordable here so I can do that. I also like the men here. I have considered moving because I miss home. But my girlfriends back home haven't told me anything great about the dating scene there.

My other option is New York. What do you think?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:01 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,033,395 times
I would live in Brooklyn in a heartbeat if I was in my 20s again.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I would live in Brooklyn in a heartbeat if I was in my 20s again.
Brooklyn would be my top choice too. I have never lived in New York but I have a few friends there who I randomly met in different places. We get along really well. And there are so many different people there that the odds are better, right?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:28 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,033,395 times
Quote:
Brooklyn would be my top choice too. I have never lived in New York but I have a few friends there who I randomly met in different places. We get along really well. And there are so many different people there that the odds are better, right?

I don't know about odds. But there are my type of people there. I suspect yours too.

Like, Worcester and Providence are relatively similar size cities and roughly the same cost to buy. My work is much closer to Worcester for the most part. I commute from Providence. Providence has a much larger population of educated creative people (music, arts, etc), there are more of my people. People I connect with. So, an extra hour or so a day of driving it is.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't know about odds. But there are my type of people there. I suspect yours too.

Like, Worcester and Providence are relatively similar size cities and roughly the same cost to buy. My work is much closer to Worcester for the most part. I commute from Providence. Providence has a much larger population of educated creative people (music, arts, etc), there are more of my people. People I connect with. So, an extra hour or so a day of driving it is.
Are you from Mass. too?

I was told that Providence changed. I don't remember it like how you describe but I have not been there since 2005 or something.

I think I could still save money by moving in with a family member. I would like to live alone but I'd like to be in a good relationship more.

I want to give here a good shot first before I make real plans. I've been here for more than a year but it could take longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships