Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:24 PM

202 posts, read 144,135 times

Advertisements

I live in an area where the cost of living is pretty high ( CA) and make around 40K to 50K a year with the job I chose.

I know for some people a job is just a job and anothers people typcially make their careers as their lives.

That said 2500$ - 2800$ doesn't really take you too far and you sure won't be able to buy a house not without your partner too.

That said I have also met a few women who were expecting the future of being a house wife or who wanted to live a pretty expensive lifestyle which I pretty had no future with and ended things pretty fast while others don't care too much about .

At the most I can do is rent and live pretty okay but at least by myself I can't buy a house or expect to give kids or a wife one day a luxury with JUST MY SALARY.

Does your salary matter in a relationship in the long run?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 10:26 PM

293 posts, read 121,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
I live in an area where the cost of living is pretty high ( CA) and make around 40K to 50K a year with the job I chose.

I know for some people a job is just a job and anothers people typcially make their careers as their lives.

That said 2500$ - 2800$ doesn't really take you too far and you sure won't be able to buy a house not without your partner too.

That said I have also met a few women who were expecting the future of being a house wife or who wanted to live a pretty expensive lifestyle which I pretty had no future with and ended things pretty fast while others don't care too much about .

At the most I can do is rent and live pretty okay but at least by myself I can't buy a house or expect to give kids or a wife one day a luxury with JUST MY SALARY.

To some, yes
To others, no
To the rest, varying degrees

Old 03-03-2019, 10:39 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Always, not do much the dollar amount but what you do with it. No one wants to date a money pit.

But you can always pick up people with no money
Homeless man, 26, survives by picking up different women every night | MMAjunkie.com MMA Forums

Homeless guy makes $150/day too.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:19 AM

999 posts, read 553,983 times
No, it doesn't matter. I want someone frugal who doesn't place a large value on material possessions and wants to live a simple life based on cooking good food at home, going out for hikes, and enjoying the simple things. I also want someone who is passionate about their dreams, but the dreams don't have to be anything that would make them rich.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:26 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Does your " SALARY " matter to your Partner or your dating life.
Yes. For a THOUSAND reasons.
Does it have to be the single fulcrum for all decisions? No.

Quote:
I live in an area where the cost of living is pretty high...
Think "parity" with your social/intellectual cohort.
You're forced into accepting a subset of that cohort... those who will say they don't care.
Or someone from an even lower salary level cohort without that social/intellectual compatibility.

Quote:
Of course it does. Maintaining it at a minimum but so does improving it.
Without those there won't be a long run. Even from within that subset^.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:33 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
I suppose I have a related question. What about debt and how early is too early to have that conversation?

With 1/2 of Americans unable to cover an unexpected $400 bill, this shouldn't be a surprise. But at what point do you volunteer such info so that no one is blindsided?

Old 03-04-2019, 06:44 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
What about debt and how early is too early to have that conversation?
Think solvency. That whatever you might owe... can it be managed on income?
Managed in this context extends to ALSO affording the 20 other common needs for income.

Quote:
But at what point do you volunteer such info so that no one is blindsided?
a) it's never too early to mention you're drowning in debt.
b) if you've gotten to the point of 'serious' you've waited too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Old 03-04-2019, 12:24 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
For me, its not how much they earn it is how they spend it (which implies their views on material things)

When I first met my ex-wife, she had a lot of debt.... but a lot of it was due to college expenses but she also splurged when she wasn't suppose to.

Didn't mind the college debt... but it did cause a little "unfairness" post marriage due to the difference in discretionary income. So I dumped my entire savings to start a clean slate. No regrets

As for her splurging once-in-a-while, she learned from it and changed. She is actually more frugal than I now.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:35 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:

Yes.

My husband makes about $20k a year more than I do. WE bought a house together but ultimately wanted to make sure that, if god forbid, we separated either of us could afford the house by ourselves.

So while, yes, we share $$, my income by myself is just as important as ours together.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:28 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Having lived in LA for 8 years, I can tell you my point of view. I'm female. I was poor when I lived there. I started out making $13k a year and when I left, I was making $45k. I dated the poorest of guys who had no hope of a future making much more. I didn't want to live an expensive lifestyle, but I DID want to be a stay at home mom. Having grown up with a mother who had to work and divorced parents, it was important to me. I knew that wouldn't be possible in LA. I moved to Chicago and kept working, upping my income over several years. It was around then I decided I was no longer dating guys who made nothing. I didn't need to live a fancy life. Just wanted to be able to raise a family. I was lucky I found someone who agreed with me.

It's harder when you live in an expensive place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships