Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:00 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Woah is this thread coming in hot at millennial guys!

Sure the population of unemployed gamers in moms basement has risen, but it's certainly not the only, or biggest factor. For every one of those, there's a psychotic mess of a girl or girls who have never had any career besides basic retail. Here in Denver you can find as many lazy unbathed baked all day stoner girls as guys... I really don't believe somehow in the 21st century, females have continued along fine while vast swaths of males have fallen through the cracks into an apathetic video game trap. There's always been a decent percent of both sexes which really don't have their stuff together, and I would say this percent is shrinking, not rising as time goes on. You know how many weirdos there were 200 years ago???
Yeah, seems that the men are being singled out as the losers here, when it's clearly just as bad with both genders.

Quote:
My guesses as to why this gap is occurring is:

1. Guys are willing to date / have sex with girls that are below their "level" in income, education, ambition, and looks but girls are by and large not. Guys would hit up a girl who's still living with her mom. In a similar vein older guys and younger girls will hook up but not vice versa.
Yep, men tend to be more forgiving with a woman's living situation with her parents and her part-time retail job in retail or restaurant business.

No, joke, I think I saw a strikingly beautiful mid-30-something Perkins waitress a few weeks ago. For a moment, I couldn't believe she was a waitress. She was pretty damned good at her job, too.

Quote:
2. OLD is clearly a failure at creating meaningful interactions for the masses, but a lot of the traditional places where interactions have taken place, churches, the town bar, the grocery store / being out and about, family/friend social events... seem to have eroded. And things like Meetup has not plugged this gap. Especially in big cities, it seems like people don't have as big of real "not virtual" social networks.
100% agreed here.

What do you mean by "Meetup has not plugged this gap"? By that you mean that Meetup is more of an online venue than off line? That it blurs the gap between reality and virtuality? I think I know what you mean that Meetup's attempt, initially, was to get people out of their homes to meet others, but now with thousands of members in a single group, only a handful of people actually go to an event in real time.

I think they spend more time on Meetup just window shopping, "Things to do in <insert city>".

Old 03-31-2019, 11:08 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
I started a long thread last year partly about this, per an article's research findings, but even I didn't think it's that bad for young men. What a disaster is brewing.

Some suggestions I made last time that I want to reiterate are urging men and women to look more physically attractive (to reduce the rush for those who are) - although many guys are genetically seriously disadvantaged in how handsome they can look - and government cracking down on monopoly and de facto toxic behaviors among dating websites.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:31 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Woah is this thread coming in hot at millennial guys!

Sure the population of unemployed gamers in moms basement has risen, but it's certainly not the only, or biggest factor. For every one of those, there's a psychotic mess of a girl or girls who have never had any career besides basic retail. Here in Denver you can find as many lazy unbathed baked all day stoner girls as guys... I really don't believe somehow in the 21st century, females have continued along fine while vast swaths of males have fallen through the cracks into an apathetic video game trap. There's always been a decent percent of both sexes which really don't have their stuff together, and I would say this percent is shrinking, not rising as time goes on. You know how many weirdos there were 200 years ago???

My guesses as to why this gap is occurring is:

1. Guys are willing to date / have sex with girls that are below their "level" in income, education, ambition, and looks but girls are by and large not. Guys would hit up a girl who's still living with her mom. In a similar vein older guys and younger girls will hook up but not vice versa.

2. OLD is clearly a failure at creating meaningful interactions for the masses, but a lot of the traditional places where interactions have taken place, churches, the town bar, the grocery store / being out and about, family/friend social events... seem to have eroded. And things like Meetup has not plugged this gap. Especially in big cities, it seems like people don't have as big of real "not virtual" social networks.
I agree with a lot of what you say here. I try in my posts to always say that anything I say about men can easily be applied to women. I don't date women, though, so I can't comment on what it's like to try to establish a romantic relationship with one. But I've known and worked with enough women in my life to have learned -- decades ago -- that women are not vessels of virtue. That's a whole other discussion, though.

Having said that, I do think men are more likely than women are to abuse drugs (not that plenty of women don't). And, as I said upthread, older men, are AS likely, if not MORE likely, to do so than Millennial guys are. The common belief that older guys somehow have their acts together, personally, emotionally, and professionally, better than do younger guys, simply isn't true. Lots of older guys seem to have never grown up, and lots have major issues.

Dislaimer: yes, this applies to women as well. I've known many women who mentally and emotionally never left high school.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:34 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Admittedly, I'm kind of uncomfortable with how millennials get bagged on so much today.
They wouldn’t get bagged on if it were largely true. Stereotypes exist for a reason and in this particular case it is strongly supported by real world examples.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:38 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
They wouldn’t get bagged on if it were largely true. Stereotypes exist for a reason and in this particular case it is strongly supported by real world examples.

I think there are lots of productive things that they are good at and it's not nice to down them so much, I think they need encouragement in this hard world. They ARE our future and products of us, afterall.

But I don't have the energy to argue so whatever.....

Old 03-31-2019, 11:43 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
You talk as if millienials are the only ones who do silly things.

The generation before us wasn't any better.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
IMO, Boomers don't get bagged on enough. In keeping with the topic of this thread, they are the most unhealthy and overweight of any generation living today. I could say plenty more about them, but I'd be going off topic.

No, I'm not a Millennial. I'm a GenXer.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:50 AM

641 posts, read 405,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
IMO, Boomers don't get bagged on enough. In keeping with the topic of this thread, they are the most unhealthy and overweight of any generation living today. I could say plenty more about them, but I'd be going off topic.

No, I'm not a Millennial. I'm a GenXer.
Millenials are the legacy of boomers anyway, for better or worse.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:54 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffzero View Post
Yet it's OK for females to sit around watching reality tv and sitting on relationship forums all day every day? Seems like some of you are just mad that men have hobbies that you don't like.

Do you have this same attitude towards women who sit around gossiping, watching reality tv, and sitting on relationship forums all day? I never understood why society is always trying to police men's lives and hobbies so much. But if someone were to say "maybe women should get off the couch, hit the gym, remove that thigh cellulite," people would be raging about misogyny and "teh patriarchy" trying to tell women what to do.

Some people are paying out of pocket to go to school. Men are expected to get high paying jobs to afford being able to have women live off of them, since men having to put the family on their backs are some of the gender roles that somehow won't go away. Whereas it's still somehow OK for women to take easy, low paying women's jobs, since it's still somehow OK for them be stay at home moms who depend on men to keep a roof over their heads.

The aggression towards men is hilarious. I've seen so many broke females with dead end jobs with no car, who live off their parents, or who live off their boyfriends, who end up being fat, and ugly, and maybe that plays a reason as to why many men are opting out of relationships.

Men still have a higher income average than women, yet this comment section makes it seems like all men are bums if they're not in a relationship. Maybe men are just losing interest in having their life revolving around someone who sits around waiting to be chased, paid for, taken care of, and being a chore. People always seem to get offended at men who mind their own business, but then these same people cry about men hitting on them in public. Men are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
I was going to opt out relationships for good cause I got tired of confrontational women in real life and online, until I met my wife who is absolutely the most loving and compassionate woman I've ever dated. She asked me out and talked to me first and it was then I knew she was worth taking a risk for.

If a woman or man can't respect your hobbies then they aren't the person for you. That's just how I see it.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
Millenials are the legacy of boomers anyway, for better or worse.
True. So, for all the Boomers out there complaining ad nauseum about Millennials: this is the result of the hyper-indulgent helicopter parenting trend (which was essentially narcissistic) that YOU began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships