Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 02:08 PM

293 posts, read 190,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
He KNOWS what you want.

If he wants to marry you, he'll ask you when he's ready. Continuing to pressure him about it won't make him move faster, but it may change his mind about you altogether.

So quit being a pest and just wait. Let this happen naturally...
LOL you are so right, I am just being annoying because it seriously just seems like EVERYONE I know his getting engaged. Heck, 15 people out of my 100 person high school graduating class are either engaged/married now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 02:26 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
LOL you are so right, I am just being annoying because it seriously just seems like EVERYONE I know his getting engaged. Heck, 15 people out of my 100 person high school graduating class are either engaged/married now
Too late now, but if I were in your shoes, I would not have moved across the country, nor
started playing wife with him without actually being his wife. He already has everything he needs and wants, so there is no incentive for him to change anything. You have no leverage to make any demands on him at this point.

I would not bring it up again before your previously agreed upon timeline. If he doesn't follow through at that time, then move out. All the best to you.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:37 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,601,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Too late now, but if I were in your shoes, I would not have moved across the country, nor
started playing wife with him without actually being his wife. He already has everything he needs and wants, so there is no incentive for him to change anything. You have no leverage to make any demands on him at this point.

I would not bring it up again before your previously agreed upon timeline. If he doesn't follow through at that time, then move out. All the best to you.

The incentive should be he loves her and wants to make her happy and stands to lose her love otherwise. The timeline doesn't seem unreasonable and, hopefully he will surprise you earlier. I would agree that if he doesn't follow through, it would be time to leave.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:42 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Don't agree with the concept of a timeline for this stuff. Just comes off as unnatural, phony, an unnecessary burden and, a lame attempt to keep up with the Joneses *cringe.* Not my style. But to each their own.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:54 PM

561 posts, read 324,505 times
Is it possible that he's trying to plan something for when you might not be expecting it and that's impossible if you're asking about it every day or is he not that type? Or is it possible that he thinks you're expecting something over the top when he proposes and he has nothing figured out?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:34 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
This really isn't a good reason to get married. What other people do has no bearing on your relationship. You're 25...what's the rush? The absence of financial barriers doesn't mean it's the right time to commit to spending your lives together. Don't you want him to move forward because he wants to, and not because you nagged him into it?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:35 PM

801 posts, read 615,644 times
This is like when kids want something for Christmas or their birthdays and keep bringing it up so often, in hopes that you're planning on THAT thing, that it literally sucks all the joy out of the gift before you've even bought it. It makes you want to chuck it at them or set it down in front of them, wrapped in a paper bag. LOL

Settle down and let the man do his thing! It'll be fine.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:11 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
This really isn't a good reason to get married. What other people do has no bearing on your relationship. You're 25...what's the rush? The absence of financial barriers doesn't mean it's the right time to commit to spending your lives together. Don't you want him to move forward because he wants to, and not because you nagged him into it?
I have friends who got married because they thought it was what they were supposed to be doing. Guess what? They are the ones who got divorced. Marriage is not a race. You don’t go into it because everyone else is doing it or what others are doing. You do it because it’s right for you as a couple.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:24 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Skip the engagement. You already live together. Duh.

Quit asking. Give him six months. If he doesn’t bring marriage up himself, move back home. In the meantime zip it.
This...because in the event you DO get engaged the next thing is that it will be an endless engagement - happens all the time. If he doesn't want to get engaged even after getting into a better financial situation that is very interesting. I was just hearing that for most men, their main reason for not getting married was they didn't feel financially ready.

Be prepared for another 5 years...

Old 04-08-2019, 04:29 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
I have found that when men want to get married, they do....and when they dont, they wont. Im not saying he wont eventually marry you, but if he cant even talk about getting engaged in 6 months, it doesnt sound like its something he wants to do. If marriage was on his timeline, he would have no problem getting engaged, and waffling on the actual wedding date, but this guy is back pedaling on even getting engaged.

I wouldnt be holding my breath on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships