Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,889 times

Advertisements

I am turning 44 years old in about 2 days. I have nice things going for me. I am almost complete with remodeling my home that I lived in for 3 years. I have really enjoyed working with contractors over the last 2 years researching new fancy remodeling designs. My neighbors talk to me and say what wonderful things that i have done with my home. Every contractor told me all I need now is a nice woman in my life. That is something that is what I missing. I do enjoy having interests in music, sports (boating, baseball, billards). I like to watch musical concerts on television or when the opportunity comes to attend a concert. I enjoy going for walks on the riverwalk near where I live. But all that inside sometimes I feel a tear in my eye when I see younger couples who are married and here I will be 44 in 2 days and I am not in that circuit. I was engaged to be married 7 years ago. Unfortunately things got rocky between my ex fiance and I and I was very hurt after the breakup. But I dated on and off ofer the last few years but took into remodeling my home which kept me happy and taking part in some fun sports events and boating . I have a rewarding and stable career as an engineer which allows me to do fun things. But is it too late for me to find someone? I see these couples with families and they are out and smiling and everything. My dad is giving me an extremely hard time whenever he is on the phone with me he asks what I am up to in the evening? I told him that I do things outside the house and somedays when I have a really busy day I, like to unwind to some music in the evening then go out a bit. . He is 81 years old and he just sits in the house and listens to the radio and complains about walking. He worries more about the weather and that is the only thing he talks about. He is disabled because he cant see too well. But I am not criticizing him about that nor would I do something like that. But he candeally get annoying sometimes. My mom is the complete opposite . She always jokes with me and she knows that God will have someone for me in the future. I always help my folks out especially my dad whenever he needs i t but he can get on mynerves. One thing that he really annoys me with is that he knows some guys kid who is same age as me who is married with three kids and he is on some parish committee making money for the parish.. I actua ln ly know the main guy on th as t parish and he is an older gentlema and he said that he is the main guy who makes the money. It seems my dad is rubbing in things about this marriedguy with 3kids to upset me. My neighbors know I am single and they told me to follow my heart and that something will come for me. To keepenjoy il what i do. Am i too old to get married? Why is my dad hurting me with thing he says? ? Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 09:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveasonglove2 View Post
I am turning 44 years old in about 2 days. I have nice things going for me. I am almost complete with remodeling my home that I lived in for 3 years. I have really enjoyed working with contractors over the last 2 years researching new fancy remodeling designs. My neighbors talk to me and say what wonderful things that i have done with my home. Every contractor told me all I need now is a nice woman in my life. That is something that is what I missing. I do enjoy having interests in music, sports (boating, baseball, billards). I like to watch musical concerts on television or when the opportunity comes to attend a concert. I enjoy going for walks on the riverwalk near where I live. But all that inside sometimes I feel a tear in my eye when I see younger couples who are married and here I will be 44 in 2 days and I am not in that circuit. I was engaged to be married 7 years ago. Unfortunately things got rocky between my ex fiance and I and I was very hurt after the breakup. But I dated on and off ofer the last few years but took into remodeling my home which kept me happy and taking part in some fun sports events and boating . I have a rewarding and stable career as an engineer which allows me to do fun things. But is it too late for me to find someone? I see these couples with families and they are out and smiling and everything. My dad is giving me an extremely hard time whenever he is on the phone with me he asks what I am up to in the evening? I told him that I do things outside the house and somedays when I have a really busy day I, like to unwind to some music in the evening then go out a bit. . He is 81 years old and he just sits in the house and listens to the radio and complains about walking. He worries more about the weather and that is the only thing he talks about. He is disabled because he cant see too well. But I am not criticizing him about that nor would I do something like that. But he candeally get annoying sometimes. My mom is the complete opposite . She always jokes with me and she knows that God will have someone for me in the future. I always help my folks out especially my dad whenever he needs i t but he can get on mynerves. One thing that he really annoys me with is that he knows some guys kid who is same age as me who is married with three kids and he is on some parish committee making money for the parish.. I actua ln ly know the main guy on th as t parish and he is an older gentlema and he said that he is the main guy who makes the money. It seems my dad is rubbing in things about this marriedguy with 3kids to upset me. My neighbors know I am single and they told me to follow my heart and that something will come for me. To keepenjoy il what i do. Am i too old to get married? Why is my dad hurting me with thing he says? ? Please help
How did things get "rocky" with your ex-fiancee?

Old 07-06-2019, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
How did things get "rocky" with your ex-fiancee?
Long story. Just that her parents said some hurtful things to me and I was always nice to them.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
You do have some great things going for you. I'm an optimist, so I will say it's not necessarily too late.

Is this your first account here? It sounds like the influence of your father is the biggest hindrance to your happiness. If you can research ways to let his comments roll off your back, you'd be better able to enjoy what you HAVE accomplished.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:34 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,884,686 times
If you’re happy single, your dad’s words shouldn’t sting. You should be able to dismiss him as a funny old guy who only has one marker for happiness: married with kids.

If you’re taking it personally, maybe you’d like to figure out how to meet someone? I’d have to suggest OLD. A sensitive intelligent guy with a decent job, remodeling his home is a standout, seriously.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:36 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,914,211 times
Of course it isn't too late.

Don't take the things your father says too much to heart. Sounds like things will unfold in due time. When I was 44 I would have loved to meet a guy like you.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:36 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,935,035 times
You do know that 50,60,70 year olds and so forth get married too?
44 isn't the end all. Go date someone in their mid to late 30's. Or whatever age you want. Don't compare yourself to others,the grass isn't always greener. Congrats on your success in your job and home.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:44 PM

11,402 posts, read 24,493,663 times
Something’s off.

When a man controls all of the remodeling and decorating in his home and leaves no room for a woman’s input, he’s pretty much gone round the bend. You’ve lost a major draw to a potential partner. Enjoy the single life.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:20 PM

1,593 posts, read 779,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Something’s off.

When a man controls all of the remodeling and decorating in his home and leaves no room for a woman’s input, he’s pretty much gone round the bend. You’ve lost a major draw to a potential partner. Enjoy the single life.

Uh, what woman? He's supposed to hold off on a project that he wants to complete in case a future hypothetical ladyfriend wants input? Doesn't seem reasonable to me. If it was a "Their" house, sure, but there is no "Their," just "His." To me the weird thing would be waiting for a non-existent "She" to tell him how to finish his own house.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:30 AM

23,411 posts, read 19,043,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Something’s off.

Hang on there! Being a bit harsh don't you think? This approach works for Ptilonorhynchidae bower birds, so why not the OP? The most accomplished nest engineers do find mates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowerbird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships