Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 01:31 PM

220 posts, read 196,376 times

Advertisements

I had a sort of serious heart to heart with my BF last night. He has decided to self quarantine at home with his parents because he is afraid of getting sick. I sympathize.

However i feel sort of "abandoned" i mean yes he calls me daily and communication i suppose is still a two way street but i would never in a million years would have considered staying away from him if **** hits the fan. I am glad that he is protecting himself though but it sort of made me realize no matter what - I am always going to be alone in this world...The only person you can truly depend on is yourself.

I guess he considers me a high risk because i commute to work into the City so i could potentially get him sick. (he is kind of a hypochondriac) I guess I am just trying to figure if my feelings are over the top

Anyone else going through something similar? For those dating are you still planning to see each other? I expect the married couples should have no change in their current situations

Old 03-13-2020, 01:39 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,868 times
Its a dangerous virus because it has a long incubation period. You can be a carrier but not know it. I think its a good idea for anyone to self-quarantine if it is at all a possibility for them. (For some people its not because of their jobs.) But the more people isolate themselves, the faster the virus will be contained.

Older people and people with suppressed immune systems are at the greatest risk, so while you may not be sick, you may be killing people just by breathing the virus out in public places.

So I don't think he's wrong.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
It's a bit unusual to me, but I guess it's a smart choice, especially since you apparently live in the NYC area. What alternative would you want him to pursue? There's not really a halfway option right now.

If he's a hypochondriac you may need to consider whether that will affect your lifestyle choices in the future, whether he will want to opt out of things more often than not. I work with someone like that, and after a while it becomes exhausting and frustrating.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:44 PM

2,066 posts, read 902,312 times
No, but if my new girlfriend wants to stay in for most of the weekend and have lots of sex with me instead of going to a club, music event or restaurant, I'm good with that.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:03 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,813,945 times
I'm in NYC as well, and given almost everything shutting down, I think it would be affecting most people's relationships unless they're married or live together.

I usually see my bf on Friday nights, however due to all the schools closings and kids after school programs shutting down, my bf has decided to take his kids tonight until Sunday to avoid them going stir crazy, which I totally understand. We do however plan on seeing each other Sunday evening, that is if there's no curfew or something imposed by then. Neither of us are that concerned about contracting the virus, since we are not in a high risk age group and don't see our elderly parents that often (his live in another country). I'm currently working from home and live by myself, he owns a business but hasn't had much traffic since due what's been going on.

Sounds like your boyfriend lives with his parents, so it probably is a good idea for him to self quarantine, I don't know how old his parents are but if they're over 60, they are at high risk, and he can't run the risk of infecting them.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Its a dangerous virus because it has a long incubation period. You can be a carrier but not know it. I think its a good idea for anyone to self-quarantine if it is at all a possibility for them. (For some people its not because of their jobs.) But the more people isolate themselves, the faster the virus will be contained.

Older people and people with suppressed immune systems are at the greatest risk, so while you may not be sick, you may be killing people just by breathing the virus out in public places.

So I don't think he's wrong.
He isn't wrong at all. He actually just called and said he thought about it and decided to take the risk and come over. I guess he considered my feelings of isolation and is willing to still be around. Now i am thinking maybe i should just let him continue to self quarantine. I am not sick and i do take all the precautions but you never know ...

I would miss him greatly but we both will live right?

Old 03-13-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
No, but if my new girlfriend wants to stay in for most of the weekend and have lots of sex with me instead of going to a club, music event or restaurant, I'm good with that.
The life cocooning!

Old 03-13-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I'm in NYC as well, and given almost everything shutting down, I think it would be affecting most people's relationships unless they're married or live together.

I usually see my bf on Friday nights, however due to all the schools closings and kids after school programs shutting down, my bf has decided to take his kids tonight until Sunday to avoid them going stir crazy, which I totally understand. We do however plan on seeing each other Sunday evening, that is if there's no curfew or something imposed by then. Neither of us are that concerned about contracting the virus, since we are not in a high risk age group and don't see our elderly parents that often (his live in another country). I'm currently working from home and live by myself, he owns a business but hasn't had much traffic since due what's been going on.

Sounds like your boyfriend lives with his parents, so it probably is a good idea for him to self quarantine, I don't know how old his parents are but if they're over 60, they are at high risk, and he can't run the risk of infecting them.
Yeah this is true. They are in that bracket. Okay i will call him back to cancel.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:32 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,589,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynpad View Post
I had a sort of serious heart to heart with my BF last night. He has decided to self quarantine at home with his parents because he is afraid of getting sick. I sympathize.

However i feel sort of "abandoned" i mean yes he calls me daily and communication i suppose is still a two way street but i would never in a million years would have considered staying away from him if **** hits the fan. I am glad that he is protecting himself though but it sort of made me realize no matter what - I am always going to be alone in this world...The only person you can truly depend on is yourself.

I guess he considers me a high risk because i commute to work into the City so i could potentially get him sick. (he is kind of a hypochondriac) I guess I am just trying to figure if my feelings are over the top

Anyone else going through something similar? For those dating are you still planning to see each other? I expect the married couples should have no change in their current situations

The problem might be that he lives with his parents.........

If neither of you are at high risk for complications tho.......because of age or underlying health conditions..........then I don't see why you couldn't just be together & watch movies or cook a meal together & have serious cuddle time....& isolate yourselves together away from his parents.....at your place??? If he would rather isolate himself with his parents than you....something may be wrong with the relationship IMO that has nothing to do with the coronavirus...

Old 03-13-2020, 02:51 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
The problem might be that he lives with his parents.........

If neither of you are at high risk for complications tho.......because of age or underlying health conditions..........then I don't see why you couldn't just be together & watch movies or cook a meal together & have serious cuddle time....& isolate yourselves together away from his parents.....at your place??? If he would rather isolate himself with his parents than you....something may be wrong with the relationship IMO that has nothing to do with the coronavirus...

It has an incubation period of 24 days or something long like that though. So he would have to be committed to staying at her place long past the incubation period, or else he could be carrying it and carry it back home to his parents. It seems to make more sense to stay where he lives. And if his parents fall ill, he can take care of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.