Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 2,927 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking of doing some online speed dating. Anyone here has experience? If so how was it, how much did it cost and how many dates did you have?

Thanks,
Ross
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 10:43 AM

760 posts, read 423,036 times
Nah. Online dating is a waste of time for most men, as there are far more men in online dating apps and communities than there are women. Either have your family or friends introduce you to women who are single and looking to date, or go out and approach the women you see walking by that you find to be attractive. Go up to them and say hi.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:29 AM

177 posts, read 131,050 times
Back when I was single there was a speed dating event held locally which took place in a banquet room of a restaurant. I cant remember how much it cost, I'm thinking $25 or so, but I signed up because I thought it might be a good way to meet someone in person and not online. I have to say the event was a blast. Every five minutes people changed seats and moved on to the next person to chat and see if there were any common interests. Although I didn't end up meeting anyone I especially cared for to consider dating, it was fun meeting new and interesting people.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:58 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,032,722 times
Online speed dating? First time I hear about this.

I went to a speed dating event once. Don't remember what I paid. They had different themes for groups and I think I chose the "professional" group.

The guys I met there:

1. Obese, could barely walk
2. a special needs guy who had issues speaking
3. A guy that was way shorter than me
4. A guy that was way shorter than me
5. A guy that was way shorter than me
6. bald guy (I like hair)
7. guy from an Arab country
8. a nice looking guy who had nothing to say
9. a ridiculous dressed man
10. handicapped man (wheelchair)

I guess speed dating can work. It did not work for me

Old 09-07-2021, 12:08 PM

4,056 posts, read 3,330,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Adams View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of doing some online speed dating. Anyone here has experience? If so how was it, how much did it cost and how many dates did you have?

Thanks,
Ross
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Online speed dating? First time I hear about this.

I went to a speed dating event once. Don't remember what I paid. They had different themes for groups and I think I chose the "professional" group.

The guys I met there:

1. Obese, could barely walk
2. a special needs guy who had issues speaking
3. A guy that was way shorter than me
4. A guy that was way shorter than me
5. A guy that was way shorter than me
6. bald guy (I like hair)
7. guy from an Arab country
8. a nice looking guy who had nothing to say
9. a ridiculous dressed man
10. handicapped man (wheelchair)

I guess speed dating can work. It did not work for me
I did a regular in person speed dating event when I lived in Los Angeles and not an on line speed dating event.

From a dating skills perspective I thought it was great from an actual meeting people perspective I thought it was fair.

How it worked is you talked to a woman for 3 mins. Then you moved on to the next table and you talked to another woman. After each woman you met, both of you wrote down on a paper whether you would be willing to hear from this person again. I think I interacted with about 20 women of which 11 were willing to hear from me, 5 of which I was intersted in hearing back from and 3 women where we both were interested in meeting again.

If you are one of these guys who has any issues starting up a conversation with a woman you just met, I thought this was great practice. You talked to a lot of woman, you could try different things to see what did and didn't work and at the end of the night you got feedback on how well you did.

From an actual meeting people perspective, though it was fair. There were quite a few obese women. There were quite a few people from a really different class background, I was in grad school at the time and there were a few women working in fast food. Now it wasn't exclusively that, but there is a wide range of people out there and speed dating was exposing you to the full range of humanity.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:40 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,032,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
I did a regular in person speed dating event when I lived in Los Angeles and not an on line speed dating event.

From a dating skills perspective I thought it was great from an actual meeting people perspective I thought it was fair.

How it worked is you talked to a woman for 3 mins. Then you moved on to the next table and you talked to another woman. After each woman you met, both of you wrote down on a paper whether you would be willing to hear from this person again. I think I interacted with about 20 women of which 11 were willing to hear from me, 5 of which I was intersted in hearing back from and 3 women where we both were interested in meeting again.

If you are one of these guys who has any issues starting up a conversation with a woman you just met, I thought this was great practice. You talked to a lot of woman, you could try different things to see what did and didn't work and at the end of the night you got feedback on how well you did.

From an actual meeting people perspective, though it was fair. There were quite a few obese women. There were quite a few people from a really different class background, I was in grad school at the time and there were a few women working in fast food. Now it wasn't exclusively that, but there is a wide range of people out there and speed dating was exposing you to the full range of humanity.
Mine was in LA, too. Same concept, just less people. And yes, the idea was great but if you have a type or if you have any requirements other than the person be breathing, it is really unlikely to find a future partner.

Stand in front of a store and look at the next 10 people that come out who are around your age. Would you be attracted to any of them?

The only benefit I got from speed dating was that I got more confident in talking to strangers.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:50 PM

4,056 posts, read 3,330,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Mine was in LA, too. Same concept, just less people. And yes, the idea was great but if you have a type or if you have any requirements other than the person be breathing, it is really unlikely to find a future partner.

Stand in front of a store and look at the next 10 people that come out who are around your age. Would you be attracted to any of them?

The only benefit I got from speed dating was that I got more confident in talking to strangers.
That is honest. It was too much of talking to the next 20 people you met in line at the DMV.

Although to be fair, I think that is also a problem with things like online dating and meeting women in bars.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:39 PM

15,076 posts, read 10,143,066 times
Speed dating in general sounds intimidating to me... before my time... I think.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:40 PM

271 posts, read 296,887 times
I tried online speed dating a few months ago. I think it cost around $20 or so, but it was a total waste of time. The biggest problem is that they just match you up with 10 random women (I am a straight man) from all over the US, despite the fact that it was advertised as a "local" event. I'm not interested in long-distance relationships and none of the women appealed to me enough to overcome that.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:58 PM

6,906 posts, read 4,920,978 times
I do not think it would be as fun online. I think in real life it could be a riot. I've never been to one so I could be wrong. I think it should be approached as just something fun to do rather than as serious business. Then again, I think all dating should be fun, not the angst ridden event that they seem to be for so many posters. I think maybe it would be better for people that really like people. Extroverts and middleverts. Introverts might have trouble.

I think OP should try it. What is there to lose besides whatever they charge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships