Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2022, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,726 times

Advertisements

How can you tell if someone really loves you? I mean by their actions not so much what they say. I know as people age they may latch on to a person out of fear of being alone not so much that they love the person.

If the partner has financial resources do you think that flowers or a gift every now or then is relevant to showing you care? In the past my experience has been that I enjoy surprising my partner with a thoughtful token even picking up or making their favorite dessert to make them happy. I did this for a while with my current partner and he appreciated it by saying that’s so sweet but never reciprocated with anything no matter how small. No flowers for Valentine’s Day or birthday but he did buy a nice card and a practical gift. So I stopped.

I noticed that when his adult kids came for dinner they came empty handed even when it was his birthday. No card either Thought that was weird (and sad).

Same thing when I asked him to join my son and I for my sons birthday at a restaurant. Didn’t expect him to bring my son a gift but a card would have been nice.

Should I say something to him or just accept it?

Old 10-02-2022, 08:00 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findingbalance View Post
How can you tell if someone really loves you? I mean by their actions not so much what they say. I know as people age they may latch on to a person out of fear of being alone not so much that they love the person.

If the partner has financial resources do you think that flowers or a gift every now or then is relevant to showing you care? In the past my experience has been that I enjoy surprising my partner with a thoughtful token even picking up or making their favorite dessert to make them happy. I did this for a while with my current partner and he appreciated it by saying that’s so sweet but never reciprocated with anything no matter how small. No flowers for Valentine’s Day or birthday but he did buy a nice card and a practical gift. So I stopped.

I noticed that when his adult kids came for dinner they came empty handed even when it was his birthday. No card either Thought that was weird (and sad).

Same thing when I asked him to join my son and I for my sons birthday at a restaurant. Didn’t expect him to bring my son a gift but a card would have been nice.

This might be a case of either differing "love languages" or a person who is simply oblivious towards gift and card giving niceties and occasions.

Have you talked with your partner about this? With some people, hints and leading by example don't work but direct conversations do to resolve these sorts of expectations and concerns.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:06 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
The fact that there is no tradition being done of exchanging gifts or cards is okay since there's an agreement between all parties involved. I think it's weird that your partner didn't know to tell you his tradition of not giving gifts beforehand. Ask him if this is how he's lived his entire life under his parents. Be direct. Tell him how most of society has formed a tradition of giving gifts and see how he reacts. If he cuts you off or doesn't value your opinion, then you may have your answer.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:45 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Something about the OP sure seems familiar.

Anyhoo, I'll bite.

It all depends on how long the OP has been with this guy. If it's only a few months, then yes should be mentioned. Many advice found online on having difficult conversations with a partner.

If it's longer, a year or more, let it go. Too late at that point.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:59 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findingbalance View Post

Some people express love with their action - day after day showing care, devotion and affection. Flowers and gifts - maybe, on very special occasions.
Getting flowers and gifts doesn't necessary means that you are loved.
I know of people bringing flowers and gifts because they feel guilty... (there might be many reasons for that incl. neglect, domestic violence, cheating etc.)

I find bringing a card for birthday or other occasions, when attending the event in person, unnecessary. Unless everyone is signing it, to make it memorable.
A card is sent in case of absence, when someone can't say best wishes in person.

Going to birthday party or any other invitation empty handed is very rude, though.

Last edited by elnina; 10-02-2022 at 10:13 PM..

Old 10-02-2022, 10:17 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Something about the OP sure seems familiar..
On second thought - yes, you are right.
Troll tread.

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships