Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I confess my fake profile or start sth. new that is real from the beginning?
Confess your fake profile and present your real self. 5 62.50%
Make a new profile that is honest from the start. If he shows no long-term interest, just leave it be. 1 12.50%
Make a new profile that is honest from the start. If he shows no long-term interest, confess your fake profile. 0 0%
Risky: Say that your old pictures were very old and present new real pics and don't mention the old ones were fake. 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 01:23 PM

127 posts, read 54,334 times

Advertisements

Hi dear community,

I've been using a Fake Profile on a dating website and occasionally chatted with a guy, let's call him Vincent.
Since he already had a girlfriend, we decided to have friendship-like-chatting with no higher aim than a friendship. That was two years ago and we were writting for two years, but it was not continuous, we wrote each other every 2-3 months during these two years. He said he liked my personality very much and he admired my creativity. He stopped writing to me, probably because I was hesitant to meet him in real life.

My beauty currently is a 6,5 out of 10 and my fake profile was a 8 out of 10. The guy itself was a 8/10, but now his beauty has fallen to about 7 of 10. So yes, my fake profile gave an inaccurate impression of me.

I liked him and continue to like Vincent and I thought many times before about confessing to him that my profile was fake. But I didn't do it.
I think that I should rather trust "collective swarm intelligence" of this community than my own feelings because you, you together as a whole are making more rational actions than I could ever do.

I thought about making a new profile, a more real one with real pics of me, and writing to him again and start a new relationship with him from scratch.

Alternatively, I may confess to him that I was fake and present the real me. In this case, I don't know what his reaction will be exactly like, what do you think it will be most likely like? Surely he will be shocked in a negative way.

There is a second alternative: I could claim the pictures were very old and present my new pics without telling that the old ones were fake. But this is very risky. He could think that they were fake afterwards. I never submitted a pic of my face. Just distant full body pics. I chose a fake profile that has ismilair body shape to mine.

What do you think that I should do?

Should I confess my fake profile?

Or should I make a real, new profile of me?

I am scared that in this case he might not react or fastly lose interest and then I don't know what I should do then.

[Edit: Dear Mods, I am sorry I forgot that we have here separate non-romantic relationships and (love) relationships forum. You can move this into Non-Romantic Relationships forum, please.]

Last edited by AvrilLavigne; 02-22-2024 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 01:26 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I think the time to confess you have fake photos of someone else was a few sentences of your first conversation with him 2 years ago. Why did you make a fake profile in the first place? Did I miss that with your post?

Old 02-22-2024, 02:45 PM

1,387 posts, read 909,333 times
Love the user name considering Avril Lavigne has been a fake for 20 years now.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:49 PM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Love the user name considering Avril Lavigne has been a fake for 20 years now.

Pfft! I just spit out my Diet Coke!

Old 02-22-2024, 03:05 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
If it was just friends I think a fake profile can be taken lightly. Just tell him it started out as kind of a joke and since you were not really asking for him to make any physical investment it did not seem relevant.

Old 02-22-2024, 03:08 PM

867 posts, read 456,506 times
Gorrrrddd almighty.
And no ones mentioned he has a gf anyway and but he's still on a date site too and he wants to meet you, was he gonna bring her along too or what.

Anywayyyy, me thinks your both faking it.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:26 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
So your options are to confess you've spent two years lying, or build up a whole new lie? Sounds like it's time to cut your losses and take this as learning your lesson to never do this again. (Does his girlfriend know about you or this dating site?)

Old 02-22-2024, 09:46 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Does it even matter? Confess or don't confess.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:03 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Don't do it.

He's got a girlfriend, he thinks you're hot, and you're totally not --- just keep chatting forever online and never meet him.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:34 AM

1,238 posts, read 820,537 times
1. A guy who has a girlfriend but is also on a dating site is not a catch. He is either unfaithful or not looking for anything but a platonic pen pal.

2. Decide now whether online pen pals have a valuable place in your life, or not. If not, don't pursue one in the future. Arrange to meet in person (in a public place) within a short time of making an online introduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships