Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

how would I be there for a friend that is doing the damage to herself? How can I help that? I would stay her friend but I wouldn't know how to help that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Why would you not defend your friend? The point of friendship is being there through both the good and the bad. BE THERE FOR HER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 PM

lol....she knows they are married. Don't you see this as an ethical issue, not an emotionally retarded issue? Psychologists aren't the most ethical people either. They work on mental illnesses like depression and anxiety disorders not this sort of stuff. It sounds like a fatal attraction type of situation...minus the drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlchick View Post
That would drive me crazy too! It's just so hard to watch. You just want to shake them and say "HE USING YOU!" lol

Anyway, I wouldn't just scream the obvious. I would say, "I think you could benefit from talking to someone. You're just such a wonderful girl but are not meeting the right people. Here is the name of someone my friend uses and really likes ___[insert psychologist name]__________"

Old 06-23-2008, 09:45 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
It sounds like your friends moral compass is askew, not her self esteem.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:46 PM

I totally agree. It doesn't have much to do with being emotionally retarded/low self esteemed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
It sounds like your friends moral compass is askew, not her self esteem.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
If this were an isolated incident I might be able to say she got in to a bad situation, has low self esteem, blah, blah, blah! It sounds like she keeps you around because you will always look past her bad choices and will not call her out on it.

A real friend would have a very stern talk with her about her choices...and this woman is making CHOICES, the mens wives aren't!

Last edited by mrstewart; 06-23-2008 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Ooops...spelling, again.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 PM

She reminds me of a gay guy friend I had that would sleep around with married men. He would do it without a second thought and it was a habit. I don't talk to him anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
If this were an isolated incident I might be able to say she got in to a bad situation, has low self esteem, blah, blah, blah! It sounds like she keeps you around because you will always look past her bad choices and will not call her out on it.

A real friend would have a very stern talk with her about her choices...and this woman is making CHOICES, the mens wives aren't!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:51 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lol....she knows they are married. Don't you see this as an ethical issue, not an emotionally retarded issue? Psychologists aren't the most ethical people either. They work on mental illnesses like depression and anxiety disorders not this sort of stuff. It sounds like a fatal attraction type of situation...minus the drama.

Why am I even responding?

Anyway, yes I suppose it is an ethical issue. But nonetheless, I'm just thinking practically about what can be done to help this woman.

Wow. You are right. Not every single psychologist is a saint. Fascinating. What does that have to do her getting help from someone who has helped others in her situation?

You are totally wrong about that last point. Psychologists deal with all sorts of issues that impair someone's functioning and happiness. Mood disorders, eating disorders, coping with cancer, forensic, adjustment, couples issues, violence, substance abuse, infertility, race issues, learning disabilities, brain issues, developmental issues, self-esteem, parenting, abuse, smoking cessation and yes, even personality disorders. Though some are quite a bit more resistant to change than others (did I miss anything jessiegirl?)

Back to the OP - get your friend some therapy. There's probably more to it than you think.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 PM

despite the bazillion amounts of psychologists the nation is still a dysfunctional place.

i'd say get her help with a professional that specializes in that area.

Quote:

Anyway, yes I suppose it is an ethical issue. But nonetheless, I'm just thinking practically about what can be done to help this woman.

Wow. You are right. Not every single psychologist is a saint. Fascinating. What does that have to do her getting help from someone who has helped others in her situation?

You are totally wrong about that last point. Psychologists deal with all sorts of issues that impair someone's functioning and happiness. Mood disorders, eating disorders, coping with cancer, forensic, adjustment, couples issues, violence, substance abuse, infertility, race issues, learning disabilities, brain issues, developmental issues, self-esteem, parenting, abuse, smoking cessation and yes, even personality disorders. Though some are quite a bit more resistant to change than others (did I miss anything jessiegirl?)

Back to the OP - get your friend some therapy. There's probably more to it than you think.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
despite the bazillion amounts of psychologists the nation is still a dysfunctional place.

i'd say get her help with a professional that specializes in that area.
I would argue that dispite a "bazillion" psychologists in this nation, the fact is that not enough people avail themselves of their services and THAT is why we encounter so much dysfuntion all around us.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:

RIGHT. There's always more to a situation like this than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships