Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:45 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times

Advertisements

I've read a few topics similiar to this, but none quite what I am looking for. Also feel kind of weird asking about this, but from reading here a good bit, it seems people are pretty open and blunt here, so thats what I am looking for.

Having finally gotten mostly over a relationship that ended bad, I'm looking to get back into the game, slowly, so to speak.

Through college I made what I think was a pretty big mistake by not dating a Taiwan girl who seemed to be really into me at the time. Not but I was against the culture thing or anything, but I sort of was a little too focused on college and finishing it, so I didn't really date much then anyhow.

So basically, I'm asking for advice are there any clues that one can pick up on to determine if an Asian girl is into you or not, or even open to the idea, because I really do not want to take too many chances on being offensive.

I'm in my early 30s, career wise very well established and what not and perhaps could be considered a bit of a workaholic. I've always dated someone a few to several years younger than me so thats something I'm sort of looking to continue. Just an average looking guy who does take care of himself as far as health and exercise is concerned but still somewhat slim.

Perhaps I am going about it all wrong, but about the only exposure I have is when you goto those China/Japanese buffet type places or sushi shops. Is it considered disrespectful to try to talk to them in this setting?

My upbringing teaches that the woman doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to. If she chooses to fine, but the point being she doesn't have to. Is this on par with Asian cultures in general, or old tradition and changing, or what

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times
Anyone that needs to ask these questions is WAY too focused on race to make an interracial relationship work.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:03 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
There is one reason I have heard that white guys are into Asian women to the degree this guy is but its not something that would be considered appropriate to discuss on this forum.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:54 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
There is one reason I have heard that white guys are into Asian women to the degree this guy is but its not something that would be considered appropriate to discuss on this forum.
LOL, yep!

And starla is absolutely right about this type of questions.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:05 AM

123 posts, read 351,579 times
It really depends actually.

Women react differently to show interest in men. Some will go out of their way to ask a guy out while others would act all coy and wait for him to ask him out. But I'm sure a guy can tell whether she's into him.be polite and just find out casually from the waitress where's from originally. Small yet sincere talk always work.

I'm asian - born and bred here in Singapore. I guess the main difference between Asian women and American is that we tend to be slightly more reserved. You like a girl- ask her out.

Moving forward,the Asian girl you fancy- is she staying with her family? Asian culture prides itself on family values so if she's staying with her family then chances are she's pretty grounded and likes you take the lead in the relationship (to the best of my understanding)

Best of luck!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 AM

123 posts, read 351,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
I've read a few topics similiar to this, but none quite what I am looking for. Also feel kind of weird asking about this, but from reading here a good bit, it seems people are pretty open and blunt here, so thats what I am looking for.

Having finally gotten mostly over a relationship that ended bad, I'm looking to get back into the game, slowly, so to speak.

Through college I made what I think was a pretty big mistake by not dating a Taiwan girl who seemed to be really into me at the time. Not but I was against the culture thing or anything, but I sort of was a little too focused on college and finishing it, so I didn't really date much then anyhow.

So basically, I'm asking for advice are there any clues that one can pick up on to determine if an Asian girl is into you or not, or even open to the idea, because I really do not want to take too many chances on being offensive.

I'm in my early 30s, career wise very well established and what not and perhaps could be considered a bit of a workaholic. I've always dated someone a few to several years younger than me so thats something I'm sort of looking to continue. Just an average looking guy who does take care of himself as far as health and exercise is concerned but still somewhat slim.

Perhaps I am going about it all wrong, but about the only exposure I have is when you goto those China/Japanese buffet type places or sushi shops. Is it considered disrespectful to try to talk to them in this setting?

My upbringing teaches that the woman doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to. If she chooses to fine, but the point being she doesn't have to. Is this on par with Asian cultures in general, or old tradition and changing, or what

Thanks for any thoughts.
I'm Asian and reading your post..am kind offended actually.

You make it sound as though we are in an entirely diff world of our own. And the fact that you limit those that you meet now at luch dinner buffets? Geeze. Widening your social circle might be a gd start.

Anyway, yes we are slightly more reserved than American women. We are not as forthcoming and wait for the guy to make the move. Even after the first date, most asian women would wait for the guy to take the lead first.

A nice decent,casual conversation like how are you?so where are you originally from with that particular girl you fancy should be a gd starting point.

And dude, women do work here in Asia.I know of few who takes on the role of lady of leisure

Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 AM

549 posts, read 1,929,468 times
You're at a buffet and you're thinking of women? You do know that there's food there, right????

Old 07-05-2008, 01:14 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
Wow. The Internet is always proof that no matter how hard you try to do things right, things can be misinterpreted, taken in the worst possible way.. etc.

Instead of asking follow up questions I just want to take time to thank everyone for their comments.

My comments about my upbringing that teaches that women don't have to work if they choose not to is specifically catered to MY upbringing. It assumes nothing and nothing to do with any other culture or women of that culture. This was about -me-, no one else.

Sorry if that is offensive, but I don't see how in the world it could have been.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Wow. The Internet is always proof that no matter how hard you try to do things right, things can be misinterpreted, taken in the worst possible way.. etc.

Instead of asking follow up questions I just want to take time to thank everyone for their comments.

My comments about my upbringing that teaches that women don't have to work if they choose not to is specifically catered to MY upbringing. It assumes nothing and nothing to do with any other culture or women of that culture. This was about -me-, no one else.

Sorry if that is offensive, but I don't see how in the world it could have been.
I figured it was all about you, I should imagine your one of those unlucky guys who find that pretty, petite, little Asian women "fit" better considering your "short" comings.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:14 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:

Thanks for any thoughts.
Well, I'm an Asian woman who has only dated white men. And I have waitressed on and off during my life. So here are my thoughts.

1. Don't generalize about us Asian women. We are all different, whether it's because of our specific nationality (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Viet etc..), our educational level, our life experiences or just as individuals.

2. Don't ask out your Asian waitresses, because we find that creepy. It's like you are only attracted to us because of our Asian looks or maybe it's because we are polite submissive servers and so might make you a good girlfriend or wife. And trust me, we have a lot more personality and attitude than we show at work. And we just are at the restaurant to work and make money, not pick up men. Respect us as professional food servers and don't ask us out.

3. About this latest failed relationship of yours, was your old girlfriend white? At the very least, she was not an Asian. And what was wrong with your relationship with her? Are you thinking that if you had dated the Taiwanese girl instead, you wouldn't have had the same problems? Why do you think dating an Asian woman would be the answer to your relationship problems?

4. Even if my family was wealthy and I had an allowance, I would still want to work. I don't understand what your comment is about Asian women preferring not to work if they don't have to. And why would you want to have a relationship with a woman that would prefer not to work? Did your last girlfriend chose her career over you? So you think an Asian woman would choose her man over a career? Is that the appeal?

5. Again about you wanting to ask out an Asian waitress, I think that's creepy because you are in your early 30's and successful, so dating a waitress would be most likely dating a woman that is younger than you, less educated and not very career minded... so therefore not your equal and actually beneath you. It makes you seem that you desire female companionship that would not be very challenging to you intellectually and you would easily be the dominant one in the relationship financially.

6. I would feel less creeped out if you were interested in asking out an Asian female co-worker or other Asian woman that you had something in common with. Having your first thoughts be about asking out some Asian woman who works in a restaurant seems uncool to me.

6. Do you speak any Asian languages at all? It doesn't seem like you do. And how well will you be able to communicate well with an Asian woman for whom English is her second language? Maybe you would welcome less talk in your next relationship.

7. Signs that an Asian woman likes you. Well we are all different. Some of us are outgoing, others quiet and shy. It's important to show her and her family respect and to be polite to all of them. And she needs to feel comfortable in your company.

8. What might be appealing about dating you. If you treat her as an equal but still with respect. If you are less male chauvinistic than the other people in her life.

That's all I can think of for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships