Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you cheat on your current or future SO if you'd get away with it?
I'm a man; yes, I would cheat. 3 2.14%
I'm a woman; yes I would cheat. 4 2.86%
I'm a man; no I wouldn't cheat. 37 26.43%
I'm a woman; no I wouldn't cheat. 82 58.57%
I'm a man; I don't know if I'd cheat. 7 5.00%
I'm a woman; I don't know if I'd cheat. 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, but isn't that what basically marriage vows are?? Be faithful and stay married??

I do agree it does sound a little bit co-dependent.
Yes, but I'm always suspicious of such pompous declarations. I've said this before - I'd be very cautious of anybody starting to describe himself as being honest or tooting his own horn about just any virtue of this nature. I'm yet to see a truly honest person feeling the need to do that. It just goes without saying... it's encompassed in his reality... it's not something to be broadcasted.

If You Got To Ask, You Ain't Got It!

I can't imagine ever having to ask a man IF he loves me or ask him to promise me fidelity. To me it comes with the territory and if it doesn't, then the man goes out of the territory - it's as simple as that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,953 times
I guess it depends on how happy you are in the relationship. Sucky answer but its true!!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:48 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Personally I don't think I could live with myself or even look at myself in the mirror each morning if I was a cheater. So I know deep down in my heart I would never consider it. I think if most people did not put themselves in a tempting situation (getting overly drunk at a bar or hanging around questionable folks) to begin with, there wouldn't be so many cheaters out there. Every person is different thats for sure...but I know who I am and I know what morals I live by...so it is easy for me to not be a cheater. Or ever consider it.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 AM

10 posts, read 26,375 times
Depends on the situation, I probably wouldn't but it's not out of the question. I mean I'd rather just break-up with the girl than cheat on her rather by sneaking around. However, if I was in a situation where the urgency was high (a girl with a great personality and physical apperance) and it being despite the fact I was or am in a good relationship, I wouldn't completely rule cheating out.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
*Off topic *

I have to say that Lindsey may come across a bit of a cynic, but I think she's very funny! I enjoy reading her post's.
Be that as it may, her statement was way over the line.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 AM

439 posts, read 1,232,678 times
I have been cheated on and it sucks. I think my wife saved my life, I was drinking alot and didnt care about much, and she has set me staright. I couldnt think i would find anyone better than her. I would never cheat

Old 07-22-2008, 06:38 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Personally I don't think I could live with myself or even look at myself in the mirror each morning if I was a cheater. So I know deep down in my heart I would never consider it. I think if most people did not put themselves in a tempting situation (getting overly drunk at a bar or hanging around questionable folks) to begin with, there wouldn't be so many cheaters out there. Every person is different thats for sure...but I know who I am and I know what morals I live by...so it is easy for me to not be a cheater. Or ever consider it.
I know I couldn't live with myself.

As said before, yes, everybody's capable. Just because one is capable doesn't mean they can't say they never will. I'm physically capable of robbing a bank, painting my house purple, playing with a rattlesnake, or jump off a bridge. However, I can say with absolute certainty that I will never do any of these things - unless of course, someone were to hold a gun to my head. And if someone were to hold a gun to my head to force me to cheat, then it wouldn't be cheating. It would be rape.

Then there's the argument that people who cheat never thought they would cheat, either. That may be true. However, just because cheaters never thought they would cheat does not mean that all people who think they won't cheat are cheaters.

I do have free will, and am capable of exercising restraint. If I know something is wrong and against my beliefs, I won't do it. Simple as that. It doesn't make me pious, and I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I simply know myself.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yes, but I'm always suspicious of such pompous declarations. I've said this before - I'd be very cautious of anybody starting to describe himself as being honest or tooting his own horn about just any virtue of this nature. I'm yet to see a truly honest person feeling the need to do that. It just goes without saying... it's encompassed in his reality... it's not something to be broadcasted.

If You Got To Ask, You Ain't Got It!

I can't imagine ever having to ask a man IF he loves me or ask him to promise me fidelity. To me it comes with the territory and if it doesn't, then the man goes out of the territory - it's as simple as that!
Exactly. It's kind of like someone said. When somebody starts talking about their integrity at the dinner table, that's when I start counting the silverware.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:11 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
Someone mentioned honesty in this post somewhere so here goes.

I don't even think about it, I've never met a women I liked more than my wife. I'm 50 so my choices would be some young thing that talked so much my heart would feel like it was beating backwards and I couldn't relate to on the level I would want or someone my age that has been screwed over so many times that if there was any beauty left I wouldn't be able to see it. And then theres the question of why would I want to...no no no, I'll just set back here and read and add my 2 cents thank you very much. You know whats exciting to me, a new hobby, knowing my kids are going to College and hearing about exciting new things they have done, vacations, learning, entertaining.
All that and it would kill her so while I'm laughing as I'm typing go ahead people....make me Jealous!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:21 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Hmm, as heart-warming as it sounds, I'm not sure how I feel about such promises... For some reason they smell of insecurity and co-dependency to me. It's as if you give each other cart blanche to do anything else displeasing, but...
Sierra - this post sounds so cynical!! I know everyone is a product of their experiences, but I am living in hope that I don't come back on here in a few years agreeing with this because I've been screwed over.

Right now, what he said sounds just fine to me!

I think this whole conversation has gotton a little out of hand. It's up there with the 'could you commit murder'.

Most people of course say no... but now, it's Ossama Binladen, or the guy who just murdered your family or whatever.

So OK, in SOME circumstances, most people are capable of anything. But in ususal circumstances, there are not many people who would think themselves capable of murder. Does that make them smug and self congratulatory as well?

I don't get why it's so hard to take someone's word for it that they would not cheat. Ach, what do I know - I can only hope that I get to continue in my innocent assumption that my wedding vows meant something to both of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships