Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 01:16 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
Maybe because black women don't take care of themsleves, and black guys were told if they did, that indiscriminate white women would want them.

How do you even say something like that? I think people just fall n love with who they fall in love with. Of cousre you see someones face firts so that is what atttracts you but longer into the relationship you start seeing more than just a face. You see the whole person no matter what color skin or ethnic backround they are from. Anyone can be beautiful!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:23 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Has nothing at all to do with stereotypes. Its more to do with wondering why black males always seem to be in great shape with low body fat and why black females for the most part seem to be overweight. It cant be a gene thing because often times we are talking about brother and sister - one being fit (male) and other being fat (female).

I don't think the OP intended for this thread to be focused on health and fitness. So no, this thread is not about why a lot of back women are out of shape.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Yayoi, didnt know you were the spokesperson for the OP but you are wrong anyway. However, I think it is quite relevant to the OPs question on why black males are considered attractive but not females. But thanks for you trying to keep this thread on topic anyway.

If one were to use the entertainment industry as a very small sampling, and take a look at how black males and females are portrayed, one could indeed come to the conclusion that size and shape does indeed play a role. Black men are shown as being handsome or sexy (Usher, Denzel, The Rock, Vin Deisel, Tyson Beckford, Dwayne Wade, etc) and black women usually portrayed as one of two categories - the "Not sexy" category (Omarosa, MoNique, Oprah, Whoopie, Sherry Sheppard, Loretta Devine, Queen Latifah, etc.) or the "Sexy and attractive, but dont really look 100% black" category (Vanessa Williams, Halle Berry, Thandie Newton, Rashida Jones, Beyonce, Ildi Silva, etc). These women are considered attractive because they are in shape.

The key term in the OPs post is "Attractive". Since we are not talking about what a person is like on the inside (personality, talent, ethics, morality) we must be talking about what a person looks like on the OUTSIDE (body, shape, face, hair, etc.). So, with that being said, I stand by what I mentioned before that I think its because most (I said MOST not ALL) dark skinned black women you see in the media (TV, movies, magazines, etc.) are not attractive because they more often than not are overweight which the majority of MEN find to be UNATTRACTIVE.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,047,728 times
DB I wasn't specifically referring to your post when I made the comment about stereotypes.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:51 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
Could it be that black women (women in general, really) spend more time taking care of other people, that they don't have the time nor the energy to take care of themselves?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
Maybe because black women don't take care of themsleves, and black guys were told if they did, that indiscriminate white women would want them.
Wow...just wow.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Could it be that black women (women in general, really) spend more time taking care of other people, that they don't have the time nor the energy to take care of themselves?
This is a poor excuse and a cop-out. I dont buy it.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
This is a poor excuse and a cop-out. I dont buy it.
Meh! No skin off my nose....carry on!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM

OP, There are a few dark skinned black women who I find to be beautiful:

Serena Williams
Naomi Cambell
Tatyana Ali

One may even say that they are sex symbols.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:14 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
I'm still trying to get over the fact that someone said Queen Latifah wasn't pretty.
I for one thing she's beautiful!

Before my married days, I guess I'm the opposite. I liked the light beautiful cocoa skin..milk chocolate is how I believe my friend called it.

I have a nephew that is only attracted to very dark skinned women, and I have to say I think they're very pretty.

I do see what you mean tho that they aren't portrayed much in the media. Could it be the lighting would be more difficult? Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.