Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:24 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,235,046 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that a lot of people have a sort of low key automatic "heh heh heh" after most things they say. I've also noticed, especially at work, that these people and their comments are viewed differently than those without.
There are times at work (a room full of cubicles) that I'm in a Beavis and Butthead show with all the automatic bursts of giggle or whatever you want to call it after everything they say. "I can't belivee Bill from dept x called you about product y he he he. I dont really remember noticing this before so I'm not sure if its a generational thing (I'm older in a younger work environment) or what.
But I have noticed the rather interesting psychological phenomena of the people that have it seem to be better thought of by both peers and supervision than those of equal or superior job knowledge that don't.
It seems like such a manipulative tool I can't quite get with it. Plus it tends to drive me nuts, partly because there isn't enough work going on and too much bs'ing he he he. If it were even ocassionally laughter about funny things or events I'd be ok. But just....everything someone says then he he he. And it seems to be working for them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 04:27 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,753,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've noticed that a lot of people have a sort of low key automatic "heh heh heh" after most things they say. I've also noticed, especially at work, that these people and their comments are viewed differently than those without.
There are times at work (a room full of cubicles) that I'm in a Beavis and Butthead show with all the automatic bursts of giggle or whatever you want to call it after everything they say. "I can't belivee Bill from dept x called you about product y he he he. I dont really remember noticing this before so I'm not sure if its a generational thing (I'm older in a younger work environment) or what.
But I have noticed the rather interesting psychological phenomena of the people that have it seem to be better thought of by both peers and supervision than those of equal or superior job knowledge that don't.
It seems like such a manipulative tool I can't quite get with it. Plus it tends to drive me nuts, partly because there isn't enough work going on and too much bs'ing he he he. If it were even ocassionally laughter about funny things or events I'd be ok. But just....everything someone says then he he he. And it seems to be working for them!
You would hate to take my neighbouring cubicle

But you may not, I tend to travel and stay away from the cube a lot

Old 06-27-2009, 04:36 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,903,230 times
I worked in an office for a long period of time and I had a boss (in her fifties, no less) who evidently thought that every time she said something, a laugh was good to wrap it up with.

She giggled and she laughed and she giggled and she laughed. Every time she said something I held my breath, waiting for the laugh. And 99% of the time, nothing she said was funny - at all! (And this was a woman who never told any jokes.)

I think people who speak and then laugh it off think they're softening the blow of their words. They aren't - they just look kind of dense, awkward and stupid. Or they might think laughing or giggling helps them to hold on to their youth. Or maybe it's a passive-aggressive behavior. Or maybe they're just afraid of silences.

I finally confronted her one day, when she was just giggling and giggling without saying anything. I asked her,"WHAT is so funny?"

She never giggled again.

I left that office, went to work for a different company and haven't encountered anyone in the workplace who thinks this is a good communication techinique. It isn't. Unless you're telling a really funny joke.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I worked in an office for a long period of time and I had a boss (in her fifties, no less) who evidently thought that every time she said something, a laugh was good to wrap it up with.

She giggled and she laughed and she giggled and she laughed. Every time she said something I held my breath, waiting for the laugh. And 99% of the time, nothing she said was funny - at all! (And this was a woman who never told any jokes.)
I'll happily take this boss, any given day, rather than the grumpy 50-something tuxedo bugger, lost into the wsj, who responds terse and rarely gives a smile.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I'll happily take this boss, any given day, rather than the grumpy 50-something tuxedo bugger, lost into the wsj, who responds terse and rarely gives a smile.
I had both of those in the same office - it was called Attorneys and Legal Secretary.

I'm glad I'm gone from there now.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I had both of those in the same office - it was called Attorneys and Legal Secretary.

I'm glad I'm gone from there now.
Actual quote on a nice sunny morning, by the lobby. In the centre of a huge maelstrom of wrangling, wherein he was part of every meeting for an entire week.

"Tony, <sips coffee from that ridiculous, tall corporate coffee flask>, <adjusts glasses>, well....... can you write me up the exact problem and the exact solution of the current issue for my better understanding"

Old 06-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Actual quote on a nice sunny morning, by the lobby. In the centre of a huge maelstrom of wrangling, wherein he was part of every meeting for an entire week.

"Tony, <sips coffee from that ridiculous, tall corporate coffee flask>, <adjusts glasses>, well....... can you write me up the exact problem and the exact solution of the current issue for my better understanding"

I would totally believe it!

By the way, I love to laugh, I love funny jokes, and I love funny people. But people who laugh "for effect" - a person can tell when it's soul-less and not for real.

But laughing over jokes, and life - it's great. And I love those times when you can't stop laughing.

With the world and current events, we need more laughing times and days more than ever.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 06-27-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-27-2009, 05:50 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,235,046 times
In my office which doesn't mean anything statistically, I 'd say the Beavis and Buttheads are
typically under thirty.
But in todays society POSITIVITY and POSITIVE ATTITUDE are everything (being nice, polite, hardworking and professional are so out of style) so I feel like I should get one of those he he he things. I just don't know how. Should I practice in front of the mirror? It might be scary.

Last edited by Giesela; 06-27-2009 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-27-2009, 06:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,068,218 times
Quote:
Um .............................. what?

Old 06-27-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
In my office which doesn't mean anything statistically, I 'd say the Beavis and Buttheads are
typically under thirty.
But in todays society POSITIVITY and POSITIVE ATTITUDE are everything (being nice, polite, hardworking and professional are so out of style) so I feel like I should get one of those he he he things. I just don't know how. Should I practice in front of the mirror? It might be scary.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Why would you want to laugh like two teenage nimrods from a cartoon movie? Especially if they are not of your particular generation? What's wrong with a genuine smile and an occasional laugh now and then when the mood warrants it?

Why would you want to dumb yourself down for an office culture that doesn't seem to have a lot of emotional intelligence?

When I worked in the particular office I wrote about, my boss laughed so much, there were times she seemed unstable and insane. And when people came to talk to her about paperwork or meetings, she was the only one laughing. At that point the people gave up trying to relay to her what their original purpose was, and walked over to me instead. But she did it to herself - she made herself look silly. Then she accused me later of trying to be the boss. I was shocked. "Who did I tell what to do?" She had no answer for that one.

I would never go the Beavis and Butthead route. I'm a grown woman. I'm no teenage boy nor have the desire to be or act like one.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 06-27-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships