Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times

Advertisements

I just want to pick up on a reply I put on another thread.

We're friends, right? I can tell you my honest opinion, because you know my intent is not to hurt your feelings.

Okay. Here goes.

I am your friend. I am not a sales target. I am not a way for you to earn a living or potential commission. My friendship and my circle of other acquaintances are not assets for you to tap into, as if it were an oil field.

Because when you come to me with your AmWay, your Arbonne Cosmetics, your Cabi shows, your long-distance plans, your Avon, and everything else you care to name, that's how you make me feel. And if the rest of your friends were being perfectly honest, that's the way you make them feel, too.

So now, every time I see your name on my caller ID, I am forced to ask the awful question, "Does she want to talk to me, or does she want to peddle more crap?" Between the neighbors kids selling stuff to raise money for their band trip, the Boy Scouts selling popcorn to finance their activities, and the church choir staging yet another fundraiser to buy a new organ, I am assaulted by worthy people at every turn, seeking my money.

As my friend, you are supposed to be my refuge from that. I should be part of your word because you like me, and for no other reason. For I am not a prospect. I am not the Comstock Lode to be mined relentlessly. I am a living, breathing person who does not like to feel used. You know, the way it feels when you choose to taint our friendship with commerce.

Good luck with your business. Win the White Mercedes. Win top honors. Go for the gusto. But please don't hound me day after day, week after week, to help fund it. If I want to buy your stuff, I'll call you. Don't call me. Unless you just want to be my friend.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,905,675 times
Beautifully said!!! I've gotta rep you for that.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:39 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Hah...this happened in my family way back in the 80s! My long estranged aunt and uncle from my father's side came to our house to mend fences. They just happened to bring their Amway materials along. They literally grilled my parents for an hour about how wonderful Amway products were and how much they wanted my parents to get in on something that would be so helpful to our family financially. Needless to say, my parents were quietly furious.

Since there was nothing left to sell, we didn't hear from my aunt again for ten more years.

I also had this happen with a friend at work. We had grown very close. She was a divorcee and I was about to get divorced so we talked a lot (during down time). She invited me over to her house for "opinions" on her "new business". Like an idiot, I went. They all descended on me...there were four of them there and just me as the prospective "recruit". It's a pity because we had had a great friendship, but her putting me on the spot like that and wheedling me into going to her house under rather false pretenses just pretty much killed our association.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,545,955 times
I hear you on that! Rep from me too!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,391 times
As far as kids selling stuff and helping the church, you need to be there for friends. As for friends selling Avon, phones, etc. they need to ask once and drop it.

I don't have a problem at all w/buying things from kids to fund a band trip, or to help their school, etc. I have kids and I want my friends to buy from my kids as I do from theirs.

Also remember that your friends LIKE the stuff they are selling, they believe in it, and feel like they are doing it for you. A simple "no thank you" or joke and say "I ain't buy that crap, look what it did to you"

But I do know what you mean, some just won't stop until your not joking and say "keep that crap away from me".

Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
As far as kids selling stuff and helping the church, you need to be there for friends. As for friends selling Avon, phones, etc. they need to ask once and drop it.

I don't have a problem at all w/buying things from kids to fund a band trip, or to help their school, etc. I have kids and I want my friends to buy from my kids as I do from theirs.

Also remember that your friends LIKE the stuff they are selling, they believe in it, and feel like they are doing it for you. A simple "no thank you" or joke and say "I ain't buy that crap, look what it did to you"

But I do know what you mean, some just won't stop until your not joking and say "keep that crap away from me".
I hate anything being shoved down my throat. Don't even care what it is and whether I like it or not. I might buy the same thing somewhere else with no pressure. I also can't stand all these "good causes" my coworkers bring to work.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:35 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
You know, if you'd just sign up to be a represenative under ME, we woudln't have this problem...sheesh...

I hate when friends sell things. Got sucked into a jewelry party a few weeks back. I wear, exactly, two pieces of jewelry. My anniversary band and the journey pendant my husband bought me just before we split up (I think he was trying to tell me it was the end of the road ).

The really sad part is, my husband was in Amway (I was one of those negative wives they talk about ) and I actually like some of their products but I'm realllllly askeered to call a rep. so I shop at CVS.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:37 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,090,580 times
Very well said. I think I've lost about 5 or more friends over the years to this very thing.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,447 times
I've never allowed my kids to sell stuff door to door. I don't care if they don't win the prize at school. I'd rather throw in $100 for their class trip than buy $200 of candy and popcorn or gift wrap or trinkets or whatever. And I don't buy from the neighbors' kids, unless it's something I really want. (Like hoagies, delivered to my door on a set date. No cooking supper that night!)

Where I used to work, we would place our kids' stuff in the cafeteria and people could look at it and order if they wanted. No face to face asking, no putting anyone on the spot. I did that once in the seven years I worked there.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
Where I used to work, we would place our kids' stuff in the cafeteria and people could look at it and order if they wanted. No face to face asking, no putting anyone on the spot. I did that once in the seven years I worked there.
This stuff is in the kitchen in my office, too, but I still find it highly irritating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships