Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Well, today is Friday....Finally, and that always makes me happy! Paid the bills, which is a great feeling and am going to start shopping for the holidays....making decorations, etc....

Happy Friday!!!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:00 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
What did you do today that made you happy?
I woke up... I guess that's a start!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:10 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Well, well, well, a big hug and congratulations....what kind of puppy is she? And, Happy Happy Birthday, am wishing you many happy days with your new puppy....hugs
She's not a puppy. She's a year old. My search was for an adult female terrier mix about 20-25 pounds with a scruffy coat. She's young compared to the other dogs I looked at. The others ranged in age from 5-10 years old. I really liked the 10 year old one that was in TN (and I've adopted 3 dogs from TN), but while the rescue was really friendly in the beginning of the adoption application process, suddenly they stopped all communication with me. I waited for two weeks for some sort of reply, then I moved on to looking at other dogs. That annoyed me because while I don't mind being turned down (my yard isn't completely fenced in), while waiting for an answer from them (either way) I did miss adopting a small Cairn terrier in NY. However, I knew that little dog would easily find a new home.

I find some dog rescues weird and overprotective of their pooches. Some even seem to just want to collect them and then ask for donations of support. Actually since I have the green light on the NC dog, I will now leave a really angry message with the other rescue telling them I don't appreciate them wasting my time like that. And the lady in charge of the rescue was all full of "god bless" this and that, and how god must have brought me to them. And to be polite, I went along and accepted all the god blessings. I was even going to transport any of their other dogs if needed. Grrr. Hmmm... maybe they somehow found out I don't go to church every Sunday.

Anywho... for me, I prefer to adopt adult dogs. They come already housebroken, they are already grown so you can see what you're getting, they are past the chewing stage and not hyperactive anymore.

I also find that these "used" dogs love me very much, and in fact they love and appreciate me more than any dog that I got as a puppy. <<<-------- Actually this is true of relationships too. One of the reasons, I never fuss about a boyfriend's past is that having a terrible ex or exes just helps make him think that I'm the best girlfriend ever.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
She's not a puppy. She's a year old. My search was for an adult female terrier mix about 20-25 pounds with a scruffy coat. She's young compared to the other dogs I looked at. The others ranged in age from 5-10 years old. I really liked the 10 year old one that was in TN (and I've adopted 3 dogs from TN), but while the rescue was really friendly in the beginning of the adoption application process, suddenly they stopped all communication with me. I waited for two weeks for some sort of reply, then I moved on to looking at other dogs. That annoyed me because while I don't mind being turned down (my yard isn't completely fenced in), while waiting for an answer from them (either way) I did miss adopting a small Cairn terrier in NY. However, I knew that little dog would easily find a new home.

I find some dog rescues weird and overprotective of their pooches. Some even seem to just want to collect them and then ask for donations of support. Actually since I have the green light on the NC dog, I will now leave a really angry message with the other rescue telling them I don't appreciate them wasting my time like that. And the lady in charge of the rescue was all full of "god bless" this and that, and how god must have brought me to them. And to be polite, I went along and accepted all the god blessings. I was even going to transport any of their other dogs if needed. Grrr. Hmmm... maybe they somehow found out I don't go to church every Sunday.

Anywho... for me, I prefer to adopt adult dogs. They come already housebroken, they are already grown so you can see what you're getting, they are past the chewing stage and not hyperactive anymore.

I also find that these "used" dogs love me very much, and in fact they love and appreciate me more than any dog that I got as a puppy. <<<-------- Actually this is true of relationships too. One of the reasons, I never fuss about a boyfriend's past is that having a terrible ex or exes just helps make him think that I'm the best girlfriend ever.
Great story...I was looking at Italian Greyhounds and Bichons...I filled out applications, and some of those rescue people are weird...I was in bed, (work night) and the woman calls and wakes me up, told her I was in bed sleeping, could she call me back, she never did....but yeah, I hear ya. I've had dogs all my life, bred them, horses, cats, etc...and some of those people see a bit over the top, yanno. But I have gone into pet finder a lot and am still looking.

so, you've had good fortune with older dogs then...what I mean to say, is, are they pretty well house broken. I would like one that is...cuz I still work...and also one that doesn't yap, yap, yap a lot, as I have to think of my neighbors. And I am limited as to the size, can't be over 18 inches high or something to that effect.

I'm very thankful for people who commit to rescues...and love animals....my entire family were animal people...horses, horse shows, breeding, etc...my aunt raised German Shepards, trained, showed, gave classes...

but, some of these rescue people, not all, but some, are somewhat strange? And perhaps it is as you said, never thought of that, asking for donations, just b/c??? Hmmmmmm

Well, lots of luck...hope you two bond and make wonderful memories. Pets are extremely loyal and good company.

and your last paragraph, was priceless....you go girl

Old 11-14-2008, 07:27 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i lost my fear of being beaten by the worst fencer in my group
today, i am the worst fencer in my group
Huck... you are just getting cooler and cooler in my book! Wild lizard watching and now fencing! I fenced in freshman year of college. My high school German History teacher actually coached a small team that competed against the local college ones. But in high school, I was too involved in other activities to join. I was never a very good fencer, but I had two moments of glory. One was when my old school played Brown and I beat one of their best girls (I think that I had strong wrist action). And one tournament at MIT where I had a strong hit and the tip of my foil broke off. Otherwise, I still remember the agility exercises where we had to run up and down the stairs really fast. lol

And years later, my German History teacher become the fencing coach for my old college. Such a neat guy with his thick glasses and mutton chop sideburns! His class was my favorite class of all time! We had to sit in assigned seats (none of the other teachers required that). And before the lectures started, he would quiz us on the reading we had been assigned for homework. He would look down at his seating cheat in a very serious fashion, then call out a name and ask them a question. That student had to stand up to answer the question. However, if that person didn't do the reading assignment (and now he was caught) it was better to apologize than to try to fudge an answer. And then he would give a stern disappointed look and make a mark in his book. Three marks like that and he would take off a quarter point for the semester grade. Other black marks would be turning in a paper late. Class papers were due at the beginning of the school day. And every fifteen minutes late would mean a quarter point off the paper's marks. His midterm exam was a huge affair. The first half was 500 multiple choice with a few trick questions thrown in for sloppy readers. Then we could take a break and walk around. The last part of the test was in essay form. I think we must have had to come in on a Saturday to take that test. Our class also challenged the Russian History class to a game of soccer. Also this teacher taught a law class that was scheduled before school normally started. I wish that they made more teachers like him!! I think that I was disappointed not to find a teacher as good, challenging or passionate as him in college.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:38 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
but, some of these rescue people, not all, but some, are somewhat strange? And perhaps it is as you said, never thought of that, asking for donations, just b/c??? Hmmmmmm
It was a person that posted her own frustrations with rescues that pointed that out first. Many animal lovers aren't able to adopt another animal, and many sites have wonderful pictures and some very sad stories... and a conveniently located PayPal button for making donations on their pages.

In looking at dogs for almost two months now, I see the same puppies and dogs listed. Especially with the cairn terrier rescues. I understand that they might be too busy to update their pages, but I feel the lucky ones are the fostering families that get to keep these dogs for free. Sure they pay for the dog food, but the rescue group takes care of the medical expenses. So the fostering families enjoys the company of these dogs without having to pay a rehoming fee.

Overall rescue groups do great and necessary work. One other thing, there are just way too many cats in the shelters. And with cats, again, everyone wants to adopt a kitten and not an adult. We really need to heighten public awareness and make sure that all cats are spayed and neutered!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:10 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I finally got my computer back from the Apple store! Now I can sit on the sofa and talk to you guys and not be tied to a desk!

Old 11-14-2008, 05:36 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
I "adopted" two soldiers serving in Iraq/Kuwait and will go shopping this weekend to get stuff for their care packages.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:39 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
I missed having a car wreck! Whew!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:11 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times
I am happy because I was able to make sure that many of my children at my Learning Academy are getting "TOYS FOR TOTS" for Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships