Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
There's a Work & Employment forum for questions like this, ya know...
There always has to be at least one annoying concerned citizen! What is it to you? Is it your bandwith or your thread?! Or is it poking your eyes? What is it?!

She is used to the people on THIS forum and wants to hear THEIR opinions! Capiche?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
I got the offer from my kids' school.

Since my contract allowed for cancellation on 14 days notice, I told my kids school that I would be offering them that. When I called to tell them I'm quitting they just said "Thanks for calling to let us know" (They've had three or four new hires just not show up one day) and never gave me a chance to offer the 14 days (I figured they would). I just told them that I right now I have my integrity on one end of a balance and my kids on the other and my kids are a lot heavier. Still feel bad but I decide that I have to do what is best for my kids.

I just took a $6000 pay cut and I'm happy about it. I just wish I'd known they were going to make an offer before I took the other one.

So I guess I'm pond scum with no ethics. Maybe I should call my lawyer. Although I do beleive you have 72 hours to void a contract where I live and I signed it yesterday morning.

But my husband earned some REALLY BIG browine points today. I was worried about the pay difference and he just said, you're going to be a lot happier at the girls' school.

So, is it still unethical if I was prepared to give them the 14 days notice that the contract required but they didn't take it?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
personally, I can't agree with that......of course, to each his own, and props to those who value thier work ethic that much but IMO......there's absolutely no way...no way whatsoever that I would put any job before my family. Granted....yes, maybe she should have asked more questions regarding the hours or days and you live and learn but still.......it's such a cut throat corporate world out there and if you are not prepared to do what is best for your own family in order to uphold what means the most to you.....then who's going to? If your time with your family is your top priority and the company truly did mislead or lied by omission than i'm sorry but......you have to do what you have to do. I value my job, I love my job, I think my job is very important to public education and I work my arse off for my company because I belive in the greater good.....but, it doesn't affect my family.....if they were to come to me tomorrow and say "hey....we need you to start working saturdays" .....I'd either have a serious talk with them about reconsidering that or I'd be gone......contract or no contract.
Asking more questions wouldn't have mattered. I was on unemployment. You're required to take any offer given or you lose your benefits so I would have taken it anyway and done what I did. Tell my kids they had to transfer to the public schools. Given a choice between eating and them going to the public schools, eating wins so I would have taken it anyway. I just would have known from day one I was going to be miserable in this job. Now, given a choice between a lesser paying job that allows us to eat and avoids public schools...new job wins.

BTW, my husband who has hired many people has seen this several times over. He says it's not uncommon for someone who has been out of work for a while to get back to back offers and employers know that. When I called the woman who recommended me for this job, her response was "This happens all the time" and that she would have made the same choice.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:42 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
it's not uncommon for someone who has been out of work for a while to get back to back offers and employers know that. When I called the woman who recommended me for this job, her response was "This happens all the time" and that she would have made the same choice.
exactly. it's no big deal.
you have skills, you are in demand, you are a professional.
nothing wrong with saying no, and you are acting like a professional, you called,you let them know, you thanked them for the offer, all of that is professional

nothing unethical whatsoever in anything you are doing, and no you are not pond scum or anything else. you are a skilled professional, and you are doing what skilled professionals do, making wise career choices. Anyone in the workplace has to respect that

Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Can't you just ask your exisiting school to give you the same terms as the new one?
That way at least you give them the opportunity to make it right before just upping and leaving.

If they can't match the conditions, then leave. At least you will know you gave them an opportunity to correct first.

Good luck!
They can't match the conditions without my kids switching schools. If my kids went there, I'd have the same deal I have now. But my kids would still have to switch schools. The point is to avoid that as they are in a charter that fits them very well. They woudln't fit in in this charter which serves mainly intercity kids who are seriously behind grade level. Both of my kids are well above grade level across the board. So much so they need an individualized education.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:04 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I got the offer from my kids' school.

Since my contract allowed for cancellation on 14 days notice, I told my kids school that I would be offering them that. When I called to tell them I'm quitting they just said "Thanks for calling to let us know" (They've had three or four new hires just not show up one day) and never gave me a chance to offer the 14 days (I figured they would). I just told them that I right now I have my integrity on one end of a balance and my kids on the other and my kids are a lot heavier. Still feel bad but I decide that I have to do what is best for my kids.

I just took a $6000 pay cut and I'm happy about it. I just wish I'd known they were going to make an offer before I took the other one.

So I guess I'm pond scum with no ethics. Maybe I should call my lawyer. Although I do beleive you have 72 hours to void a contract where I live and I signed it yesterday morning.

But my husband earned some REALLY BIG browine points today. I was worried about the pay difference and he just said, you're going to be a lot happier at the girls' school.

So, is it still unethical if I was prepared to give them the 14 days notice that the contract required but they didn't take it?
Since the contract had a cancellation clause and you were willing to abide by it, you have done nothing contractually wrong and ethically have not violated the contract. The only ethics problem is you made a promise and now feel bad you had to break it. I don't think that rates you as pond scum. I'm guessing contractually, they couldn't hold you to the 14 days anyway. You can certainly feel bad about it, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. My wife did almost the same thing. She went to a new job and turned in her resignation the next day (her supervisor was later investigated). She felt bad about it, but the place had problems.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Since the contract had a cancellation clause and you were willing to abide by it, you have done nothing contractually wrong and ethically have not violated the contract. The only ethics problem is you made a promise and now feel bad you had to break it. I don't think that rates you as pond scum. I'm guessing contractually, they couldn't hold you to the 14 days anyway. You can certainly feel bad about it, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. My wife did almost the same thing. She went to a new job and turned in her resignation the next day (her supervisor was later investigated). She felt bad about it, but the place had problems.
Thanks. I know this kind of thing happens all the time. I just never expected to be the one doing it. At least school hadn't started yet. I would have considered it unethical to move then. Kids, especially underprivilidged kids like I would have been teaching, need stability from day one.

The 14 day clause surprised me. I did not expect that in a teacher contract. I had expected to be given a yearly contract. One thing they had told me was that while class sizes start large, the expell a lot of kids early on and they drop. I have a feeling that 14 day clause is there so they can get rid of excess teachers at semester change. There were way too many new teachers there. Nearly 50% of us were first year teachers and they were still interviewing. The only teacher with experience at this school in my department was the department head!!! There were red flags all over the place. Which explains why the pay was so good for a charter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships