Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

I find geeky intelligent men very hot, but I'm semi-geeky myself. And knowing that they aren't good at picking up women is sweet, plus I prefer my dates not to be womanizers. No players or man-sluts for me.

I think that intelligent men are best matched with intelligent women so that they can both appreciate each other's intelligence fully. My stepdad fell in love with my mom because of her mind, and she came with three young children. And my boyfriend and I are also bonded by our brains. He finds my mind beautiful. We can talk about any topic, even his work and we never get bored with each others company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Whenever the subject of geeks comes up, I can't help flashing back to Foghorn Leghorn's little friend Egghead, Jr...
Last night at the restaurant, one of the busboys came up to me and told me that his Chinese customers really loved him. They were an older couple and with the international patent lawyers convention that's in town. He's a tiny guy with glasses and looks like a geek. I laughed and told him that Chinese people love geeks and that these customers would probably love for him marry one of their daughters.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:16 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Last night at the restaurant, one of the busboys came up to me and told me that his Chinese customers really loved him. They were an older couple and with the international patent lawyers convention that's in town. He's a tiny guy with glasses and looks like a geek. I laughed and told him that Chinese people love geeks and that these customers would probably love for him marry one of their daughters.
That's quite a stereotype right there.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Maybe they don't always "fail". They're just smart enough to see through those who profess interest in them.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:18 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
While he may be absolutely right, and I probably am the type of "smart guy" he's talking about, except for the part about being awkward socially, I've had to be social since I was very young and was expected to talk to senators, congressmen, heck even George Bush Sr. by the time I was out of high school. But the rest of the stuff, I am that smart guy, I just disagree with his conclusions. He is assuming that it's a puzzle everyone wants to solve at any price.

It's like if I am a military general and I really, badly want to take that hill because that hill gives me control over the valley below, which I deem to be something of high value to a war effort. If my leading officers tell me that taking that hill will cost me up to 70% of my forces, that's a price too steep to pay and I'd rather not bother. That's my opinion of girls and relationships -- if the price is too steep, I won't pay it, and it's not a puzzle worth solving.

So when he says that girls aren't impressed by logical thinking, boy, I know that first hand, most girls aren't logical at all. But I am. Intensely logical and rational, and with no tolerance for much besides that. I don't like feelings, and I don't like seeing other people's feelings, unless it's my baseball team celebrating victory, that's the only feeling I want to see. Laughter and happiness, great. The rest, no thanks. Not interested. So his "solutions" are a deal-breaker to me, I don't want to find girls where the key to success is being stupider and more emotional or something. I'll pass. I'd rather be working, where I truly feel in my element, I truly feel like myself and like I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, or watching TV and relaxing. Girls are not worth the price he wants smart guys to pay.

The other sickening thing is this whole "being able to handle the tests that women throw at you" -- women don't get to throw tests at me. I get to test them. They don't get to choose me. I choose them. It doesn't work the way that this guy thinks it does, at least not in my book. If I had to wait until I was 50 years old, a multi-multi-millionaire, famous, successful, and powerful before I could tip the odds in my favor so that I would be the guy a chick wants, so be it. I am not playing on anyone else's terms, only mine. I don't play by other people's rules. So this whole idea that I'm going to be excited about "passing a test" by a girl, no thanks. Nobody holds the power over me.

To be fair, he's right that you have to make fun of girls and tease them, not put them on a pedestal, but I don't do that "as a game" anymore, I do it because that's actually how I prefer to behave anyway. I don't like kissing anyone's butt, and girls have ticked me off enough in the past that it's not hard to make fun of them anyway. That's why people give you this, "Well you'll find the greatest girl when you're expecting it the least." No, it's just that you will try, try, and try again to be nice to girls, and keep getting shot down, and finally get angry and give up, and tell the next girl who comes along to screw off, and for some reason she'll like you for it because "you're different." And you have no idea what just happened but when you weren't trying, you succeeded. It's not hard to understand.

Now if there is a girl who defies these silly games, maybe she is worth it.

Last edited by JonathanLB; 11-17-2008 at 11:29 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 11:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
fools rush in where wise men fear to tread.
smarts are natures way of saying this is an anaconda in the water and you dont swim near as well as she does, stay out out of the water.
you will follow the mini spirted beauty with the fish nets back to her place and have 30 minutes of paradise which you have probably done 5 or 6 times in your life
but she has done a 1000 times. she will laugh it all off as a lil fun in 2 to 3 days be ready for the next fling. you my little computer nerd friend will not be right in the head for 2 years. the other burning question, do i really want a trophy girl.
proverbs 31:10

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-18-2008 at 12:03 AM..

Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 PM

I guess you have a few options in life, and I always figured the options were make yourself strong enough to need no allies in order to succeed, or rely on other people for your happiness and hope for the best. I prefer the first course of action. For a while when I was in high school or early in college, I thought it'd be great to have a girlfriend and I'd be happy if I had one. Then I realized that was just other inadequacies talking and that if I fixed all of my weaknesses and turned them into strengths, and just simply became someone stronger, I would not have that desire anymore. And it worked. Not to say I'm not attracted to girls, but I have no real desire to be with a girl for any long period of time. Because I need nothing, and a girl usually wants or needs more than I do, the relationship always benefits her more than it can possibly benefit me. It's like if a country is completely self-sustaining, and allies with a country that needs oil shipments weekly. Well, obviously the latter country is going to get more out of that relationship.

When I was at this fundraising party with my dad, all older girls and people, they were dancing and stuff at the end, and there were some good looking ladies there, not my age, but you know, whatever. Anyway one of the girls was like, "You should go up there and dance," and I said, "No thanks, I hate dancing." She's like, "You hate dancing? How come?" "Because it's stupid and a total waste of energy, and it makes me feel retarded because there's no point to it. It's just in general a waste of energy and time." She's like, "Well you gotta dance if you want to get with the ladies!" I said, "Then I'd rather not, honestly." I mean girls overrate themselves sometimes, if it was 1) You must dance to get a girl, otherwise you can't get a girl or 2) Don't dance, don't get girls, I'd choose #2. Girls act all surprised, like they are such a desirable, amazing being that you should do anything for one. I'm sorry, I have standards and integrity, and I don't do anything I don't feel like doing, especially not for a girl. I live life on my terms, uncompromising, and I love it that way. I enjoy my life. I don't want to do things I hate just to please other people.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Maybe they don't always "fail". They're just smart enough to see through those who profess interest in them.
The world over seems to have this "success with/failure with" the opposite sex "obsession." Instead, define your own "success" and "failure."

Immature, but oftentimes very smart, guys always have to comment on how they wish they could get this "hot chick." But what is she really like? Ok, so let's assume the "hot" 23 or 24 year old "chick" who works at your favorite coffeehouse has agreed to go on a date with you. You get a lot of attention because you have this "decoration" on your arm and you are beaming but, deep down, you know it's about her looks and that it's next to impossible to have any meaningful dialogue. What you'll eventually learn is that she will bump you because her selection criteria is more superficial and/or that you will find her incredibly BORING.

By the way, the exact same scenario happens with the genders reversed: smart, regular girl and bubbleheaded guy.

Again, define your own "success" and "failure."

Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 PM

A smart girl who is also hot doesn't have to do anything to get a guy. She just has to exist. If she's sitting in a bar alone she'll get hit on 25 times if it's a slow night.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
JonathanLB,

I don't usually agree with your posts, but in this case, I think you're right. If a woman expects me to jump through hoops for her or feels the need to test me, I'll move on. I really get tired of people telling me what I have to do in order to impress women. I had one friend tell me I dress boring and that I need to have more style to attract women. I told her I would never be anything but myself and if women look at me and see a guy who's dull, too bad. I would rather be accepted for who I am than pretend to be something I'm not. No woman is worth that. I hear women say they hate when guys lie. Well, if a guy is pretending to be something he's not or doing things that he doesn't enjoy (like dancing) just to impress you, that's dishonest. A lot of women talk about wanting a guy who'll accept them the way they are (weight, age, kids, etc.). Well, that has to go both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships