Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times

Advertisements

Riding the El in Chicago a few years ago a lesbian was sitting across from me. I was reading her "lesbian manifesto" t shirt. I guess she thought i was staring at her and she yelled "what are you lookin at?" I replied "not much!" And she hit me with "her" biker wallet!!!!!!!!! Geesh! if ya dont want someone lookin at ya dont wear a message shirt okay?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Riding the El in Chicago a few years ago a lesbian was sitting across from me. I was reading her "lesbian manifesto" t shirt. I guess she thought i was staring at her and she yelled "what are you lookin at?" I replied "not much!" And she hit me with "her" biker wallet!!!!!!!!! Geesh! if ya dont want someone lookin at ya dont wear a message shirt okay?
I've noticed that about message t-shirts in general, aside from the fact that they're stupid beyond all belief. If you wear some lengthy bit of verbiage on the front of your shirt, don't be offended if people stare at you trying to read it.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:10 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,106,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

it seems that they divide into two basic camps: The easygoing, carefree types who are confident...and don't really worry about what the world thinks, and the brittle, neurotic types who always seem to want to pick a fight.
And this quote is talking about ________ -- fill in the blank:
Heteros
Gays & Lesbians
Men
Women
Teenagers
20-Somethings
30-Somethings
40-Somethings
50-Somethings
60-Somethings
70-Somethings
Religionists
Non-Religionists
Rich
Poor
Middle Class
Educated
Uneducated
Famous
Unknown
Drivers
Passengers
Family
Neighbors
Strangers
Employees
Bosses

-- and so on. You're talking about people. Everyone's just people, who come in relaxed versions and "brittle" (great word!) versions and all the shades in between.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don't.
(Thank you, Keith Olbermann.)

Old 09-16-2008, 12:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Hey Robert,

I've noticed that too with most lesbians I've met. I'm gay and clearly have been around the GLBT community and gotten to know people in it. I think a lot of people in the GLBT community have NPD not just lesbians, they often come from toxic backgrounds and it has nothing to do with you. They think a curious glance is a rude glare...I hear it all the time. They are so paranoid about people judging them yet they are some of the most judgmental and obnoxious. I'm not a psychologist but like you said, they are callous, crass, and trouble makers from the ones I've known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I guess I've worked with and gone to school with several lesbians over the years. At the time (college), I was pretty naive and oblivious to it and just thought they were girls with boxy frames and short hair, with a dose of tomboy thrown in.

Over the years, I've gotten better at "spotting" them. In a few office settings, they were the biggest of troublemakers and over half of them were eventually fired. I saw one yesterday leaving a restaurant...she worked at a past employer of mine and the firm fired her because of all her squabbles with people...it was a chronic problem that disrupted productivity. Everybody was glad to see her go.

Within the past month, I was seated on the commuter rail where the seats face each other. A real gruff one, about 35-40, was sitting across from and had a locket that looked like an image of the Virgin Mary. She caught me looking at this and thought I was looking at her (HIGHLY doubtful), puts her hand over her cell phone, and says "Please don't look at me, I'm talking to my girlfriend." Those seated around me looked at me and rolled their eyes, obviously disgusted at her crass behavior.

So what's the deal here? Why is there this brittle and calloused behavior? If they choose to play up the large and masculine look, that's their choice but why does it have to be accompanied by the surliness? Any theories or experiences like this?

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-16-2008 at 12:39 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 12:33 PM

lol...I don't see anything masculine about that. lol. Rude and bitter, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I guess it's them trying to be more masculine. Lesbians also tend to have a history of abuse more frequently than gays do, so that can explain why most gays are not seething with rage.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Are you female? Lesbians tend to alter their behavior and attitude when around women. They tend to be much less polite and kind around gay men or men in general, from the ones that I've know. Manipulative is what I call it.

You are lucky that you know nice lesbians! Good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC View Post
I think this statement needs to be qualified a bit.

My little sister is the president of her GLTBQ club in college, and I volunteer with gay and lesbian causes in my city. I would not call all lesbians "angry". I wouldn't even say that a quarter of them are angry.

I would say that "power lesbians", of the Jackie Warner type, are far more likely to be aggressive ... but that is something that is rewarded with other women, who tend to look up to them. The more high-powered the industry, the more likely that the most successful women are lesbians (in part because they do not allow heteronormative standards in the workplace to hamstring them into positions that pay less than they deserve).

I have not noticed a widespread surliness among lesbians. In fact, I'd say that most are pretty happy! They get the best of both worlds, IMO, and I must say that I'm a little jealous of the way that lesbians instantly understand each other in a way that heterosexuals do not. But that is another conversation for another day.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
nothin wrong with looking but leering is another issue.
10% of american population is gay
11% black
i think we can make a lil accomodation no?
trouble is when we get so used to wiping our feet on others
when they say something we think there is something wrong with them.
rudeness has become normal. you see it on CDF all the time.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:45 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,415 times
What? Huh? My best friend and roommate are lesbians and so sweet. Many of my friends are lesbians and are wonderful people. Perhaps you actions are bringing about such behavior? Let's tip the tables a bit for you:

True story: I was sitting on the bus yesterday and a straight guy got on (I knew he was straight because he wasn't very fashionable and he was out of shape). There were no seats available that weren't next to already occupied so he stood in the "door vestibule" for the whole trip. Why are straight men so snobby?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:46 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Hey Robert,

I've noticed that too with most lesbians I've met. I'm gay and clearly have been around the GLBT community and gotten to know people in it. I think a lot of people in the GLBT community have NPD not just lesbians, they often come from toxic backgrounds and it has nothing to do with you. They think a curious glance is a rude glare...I hear it all the time. They are so paranoid about people judging them yet they are some of the most judgmental and obnoxious. I'm not a psychologist but like you said, they are callous, crass, and trouble makers from the ones I've known.
Yeah, and ALL gay men are loud, effeminate, obnoxious queens. All of them. Every single one.

Quote:
lol...I don't see anything masculine about that. lol. Rude and bitter, yes.
I just don't really have anything to say to this that is nice, so I guess I'll say nothing.

Quote:
Are you female? Lesbians tend to alter their behavior and attitude when around women. They tend to be much less polite and kind around gay men or men in general, from the ones that I've know. Manipulative is what I call it.

You are lucky that you know nice lesbians! Good for you.
My Mother and her girlfriend let a friend of theirs move in with them for several months when he spilt up with his wife. They probably hang out with more women than men, but they definitely don't hate men. Especially gay ones. Some gay male couples are their best friends.

There is a little feature called 'multiple quote' on here Artsy. You should try it some time.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
What? Huh? My best friend and roommate are lesbians and so sweet. Many of my friends are lesbians and are wonderful people. Perhaps you actions are bringing about such behavior? Let's tip the tables a bit for you:

True story: I was sitting on the bus yesterday and a straight guy got on (I knew he was straight because he wasn't very fashionable and he was out of shape). There were no seats available that weren't next to already occupied so he stood in the "door vestibule" for the whole trip. Why are straight men so snobby?
Brilliant. You gotta hate those snobby straight guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships