Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 01:14 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Old sitcoms. That's pretty much where they were invented.
Well. In fairness I know of a few couples in the lifestyle who are into the "1950s household" dynamic as a "fetish." It is a thing. And if it's a matter of constructing a fantasy kingdom of your own wishes and desires in your home, then it can be as historically inaccurate as you like.

Of course that would require all that weird honesty and communication stuff. Ick. Assumptions, and then anger when the world doesn't meet one's expectations, that is just SO much more comfortable...apparently...

But it's funny what people glorify, and it's even funnier seeing companies try to profit from it, I mean if you've been to Walmart lately you may have seen a whole line of kitchen products branded "Pioneer Woman." Really? Pioneer women of the American suburbs, please. lol!

Too bad pretending some bizarre level of pseudo-traditionality does not magically make us expert cooks, because I could use some of that mojo...I'm not terribly talented in the kitchen, though I'm not quite a disaster either.

The funny thing about the OP (and in case no one noticed it's another old thread) was the part about sex. Because if my needs are being met (as in example #2) then I will probably want sex whenever he is up for it (as in example #1.) I'm not sure who benefits with a wife who is simply willing to lie there and endure unsatisfying sex so her man can scratch an itch. "Wifely duties" and all. Doesn't sound like much fun for anybody.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:35 PM

29,749 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But it's funny what people glorify, and it's even funnier seeing companies try to profit from it, I mean if you've been to Walmart lately you may have seen a whole line of kitchen products branded "Pioneer Woman." Really? Pioneer women of the American suburbs, please. lol!
I know it's off topic, but bless your heart for not knowing who the Pioneer Woman is. She's very much a guru for the suburban mom crowd.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I know it's off topic, but bless your heart for not knowing who the Pioneer Woman is. She's very much a guru for the suburban mom crowd.
Right I know but...it's the name, the whole...that whole thing though!

EDIT: At least SHE lives on a ranch!

"Saddle up the minivan, Becky! We're going to go rustle some organic kiwis from the wild frontiers of Whole Foods."

(Insert joke from imaginary "Pioneer" husband about kiwi rustling here.)

Old 12-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Right I know but...it's the name, the whole...that whole thing though!

EDIT: At least SHE lives on a ranch!

"Saddle up the minivan, Becky! We're going to go rustle some organic kiwis from the wild frontiers of Whole Foods."

(Insert joke from imaginary "Pioneer" husband about kiwi rustling here.)
I (hate)watch her Food Network show. It's not very traditional of me, I suppose, but I judge her for going to way too much trouble--like, you don't need to make your own potato chips. They sell them in bags, and the cowboys would be just as happy.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:49 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
?

What does this even mean?

As for making things vs buying them, why does everyone get so much more excited over the bread I bake vs the really nice store bread? Or potatoes? Or steak? Or anything? Why do I always say yes to my mom's cooking and usually say no to eating out?

Bc if you know what you are doing, at home TASTES BETTER.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:50 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
I got into a couple of interesting discussions today with women and we're starting to wonder what men these days are REALLY looking for. If you had the choice, which would you marry?

1) "Traditional" Woman: Has your children, stays at home to take care of them, cooks well, keeps the house very clean, wears very feminine clothing and keeps herself made up/hair done, etc, has sex whenever the husband wants, does more listening than talking, keeps her opinions to herself.
This person does not exist. It is a fallacy. She signed up for a husband to have a family and security and will get out of sex as much as she can.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
?

What does this even mean?
I was kvetching about the way there's this whole brand, "Pioneer Woman" ...I was aware there's a woman who has a cooking show behind it, though it did take a brief wiki peek to see the backstory (when somebody pokes me for ignorance, I'm willing to go have a look, not too proud for that!)

The whole "bless your heart" thing is a Southern tongue in cheek "fakey-nice" insult sort of deal.

And fleetiebelle was giving me grief for referring to the line of cookware in a fashion that indicated ignorance of the lady behind it (which was sort of/mostly/kinda true. I knew there was some woman, but knew little about her--I don't watch cooking shows.)

Mostly I point to the idea that:

a.) Some women legit are into the "traditional" homemaker image at least to some extent, so actually it should not be impossible for a guy to find that.

b.) It is kinda ridiculous from a woman in Mom jeans in the burbs ("pioneer?" "frontier?") but hey. Whatever floats yer dumplings.

And truly though, I think that whatever iteration of "traditional" there is today, is largely the roleplay of a fantasy thing that isn't REALLY historically accurate, combined with a bunch of quaint country tastes and notions. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

Then there was organic kiwi rustling. Because it made me snicker. No other reason.

I have no idea which notion you were questioning anyways. What were we talking about again? Pans?

Old 12-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I was kvetching about the way there's this whole brand, "Pioneer Woman" ...I was aware there's a woman who has a cooking show behind it, though it did take a brief wiki peek to see the backstory (when somebody pokes me for ignorance, I'm willing to go have a look, not too proud for that!)

The whole "bless your heart" thing is a Southern tongue in cheek "fakey-nice" insult sort of deal.

And fleetiebelle was giving me grief for referring to the line of cookware in a fashion that indicated ignorance of the lady behind it (which was sort of/mostly/kinda true. I knew there was some woman, but knew little about her--I don't watch cooking shows.)
I hope you know there was no insult intended. I know (and am related to) several women who luuurve the Pioneer Woman and are always posting her recipes and talking about wanting her cookware and accessories (and now that she's turned her podunk town into a tourist destination, watch out!) I was just expressing admiration of someone not familiar with her folksy "I'm just cooking a simple 5-course meal for my homeschooled children" ways.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:10 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,165,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
This is thumbs up !!!

And interestingly, my wife is Asian as well. I know for a fact that one of the reasons why she strives to look nice all the time is to keep pace with other Asian ladies LOL. She says "we are competitive" that way. But it's amazing that she has so much pride. Wish this would rub off on others

Old 12-06-2018, 02:12 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's who they want:

Has a full-time job, earns approximately half of the household income, if she has kids she goes back to work by the time each child is 2-3 years old, cooks well, keeps the house very clean, wears very feminine clothing and keeps herself made up/hair done, etc, has sex whenever the husband wants, does more listening than talking, keeps her opinions to herself, is very aware of the economy, politics, the world, etc.
She works. Cooks. Keeps the house clean. Wears feminine clothing..., has sex whenever HE wants...

And he drinks Bud.

Men who drink good beer want a human partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships