Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
the right moment
That's the problem. When is the right moment? On vacation, at a fancy restaurant, in bed.... when????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
That's the problem. When is the right moment? On vacation, at a fancy restaurant, in bed.... when????

You'll know when it comes.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
You'll know when it comes.
sounds like a sticky situation

Old 11-06-2008, 01:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
You always propose in your birthday suit....that has been tradition for many centuries now....good luck

Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
That's not bad. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure he has more reasons for waiting 4 months. i know I did. I waited until 2 days before christmas. I wanted the engagement and wedding to be specific dates. lol I also didn't want to propose on Christmas or Christmas Eve and be with a hundred other people who did the same. Two days before christmas, it is!

We both lived in NJ and went to NYC by the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center. I wanted to propose on the ice rink, but it was too stormy that night and it was closed down!!! Damnit! So we walked around while I brainstormed for an idea. Hey, there was a photographer taking Christmas pics of people... Maybe I could have him snap a pic as I kneel down in front of her and propose? Nah, I changed my mind, although that would have been great.

We ended up walking by a horse drawn carriage, and I immediately decided that's where it would be done. We took a ride around the city. It was a beautiful ride. Midway through, I got down on a knee and proposed while we were going through NYC 2 days before Christmas. It was great. (she said yes) This was about 14 years ago...

When we got off the ride, I announced it to the driver. He was prety happy for us, but probably happier for the very big tip I gave him. Ehh, I was excited.

So anyway, whatever plans you may have, it doesn't really matter. Just go with the flow.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
You know, I hate it when people succumb to the Entertainment Disease. That doesn't mean a proposal shouldn't take place in a romantic setting. But I think people today devote waaaaaay too much time to trying to invest a beautiful moment with ersatz drama, as if the act of asking a woman to be one's partner in life wasn't enough.

Instead, people have to do these over-the-top stunts, like have their proposal broadcast on the Jumbotron at ballfields, ask for her hand on live television, or surprise her at a party among a few dozen of her closest friends. Because, when that happens, it's no longer an intimate, private moment in the life of two people who love one another. Instead, it's a matter of public performance. And God help you if you get turned down.

Here's the thing. When you realize you want to marry someone, you want to get rolling right away. Not cool your heels four months until you make it to some exotic location to ask the question.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:48 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
My wife and I had been dating for almost a year when we saw a young couple with their little baby at the mall one weekend. My wife said to me that their baby was so cute. I then said to her our own will be just a beautiful. I did not think twice about saying it. It had been on my mind for some time. A week late I purchased her engagement ring. I guess for us it was pretty well understood that we would get married. We really didn't have to talk about it. She was not surprised at what I said. She told me she had always expected it to be that way. That’s what makes it so special. It happened so natural.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Your friend knows this girl better than you do (I hope). So he probably knows if she expects or would enjoy the Hawaiian beach scenerio more than the kitchen floor, etc.

We didn't have any romantic proposal or anything in our situation. It was just kind of obvious that we'd get married. We're just right for each other and it was evident right away.

Of course, we did get married in Hawaii...with the sunset...

Old 11-06-2008, 03:54 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Maybe I'm shallow, but then I was handed my engagement ring with the daily mail (Can't believe I ignored that big neon sign!!). Hawaii, beach, sunset? That would definitely work for me!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:07 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
I think thats awesome!
Apparently, you wouldn`t care to propose over a sink full of dirty dishes then, hmmm??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships