Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:16 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
That is the way it is!!!

A woman has complete control over the house, kids domestics and all but if the man for some reason sees fit to change the plans she is to comply! If you challenge you will have trouble not only in your marriage but with your children.
You have GOT to be kidding me!!!! get over here and i'll show you "comply"

Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me!!!! get over here and i'll show you "comply"
I thought I told you to get your butt back in the kitchen???

Old 12-09-2008, 12:21 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
hahaha......unless i'm sharpening knives.....I think YOU should go hahahahahahah I kid....actually, I love to cook for my hubby....but if i'm told to I won't....actually, if i'm told to do anything I probably won't do it

Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
I don't want to get you ladies all upset but times were different. The man was the bread winner and the wife was at home all the time.

Today, both have to work just to make ends meet. It's a different time now but we still have to cherish the authority figure in the home. The father should still have the right to discipline the children to maintain authority in the home. Alot of the authority the man had has been challenged by strong willed women. They undermind it to the point that the children see two adults that are not on the same page so they are running wild too. If Mom can question Dad..why can't I. So to keep your home running smoothly it would be best never to question or undermind the authority in the home. Nothing worse than watching a woman put a man down. They could give a wife a certificate for divorce for disrespecting him in his house.

You wouldn't have felt like a slave back then. You would have been proud to be of help to your family and husband. He would cherish the things you do for the family.
I agree with some of this, but not all. The culture was different. You most likely would not have thought as you do now. Women were anxious to get married and have families. Some enjoyed it, and some not. I thrived on it. I chose it so never felt like a slave. Of course, I didn't do all the things in that list! It also helps to have an appreciative and supportive husband. Sometimes it felt a bit much but we weren't carting kids all over the place, and we could stay home, so I don't think we were busier than mothers are now.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:27 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Being old enough to remember much of the 50's& 60's,[68&69 are a little hazy!] I really think ALOT of housewives put up with this crap not because they approved of this role in life but because they were simply floating thru the day under the influence of the newly patented VALIUM. Also. ALOT of housewives in that era were closet alcoholics. They werent all June Cleaver thats for sure!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:40 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
hahaha......unless i'm sharpening knives.....I think YOU should go hahahahahahah I kid....actually, I love to cook for my hubby....but if i'm told to I won't....actually, if i'm told to do anything I probably won't do it
He's got that down to a science I bet. "HEY! Don't get in the bedroom and don't get undressed either!!!"

Old 12-09-2008, 12:45 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Awesome. How do I teach my wife these things? Oh, dang...I am home before she is usually.

My mom totally did all these things. She is awesome. Probably the smartest one around here. Lol!
So did my Mom. She's been happily married for 45 year.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:21 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Hold on there!!

If you believe in creation the woman came from the man's rib. God created the woman to be a "helper" and a "compliment" of the man. It's not a flaw in the man's thinking it's how it is.

Is it the manufacter's fault when the consumer fails to read the directions in the manual?
Please tell me that you are not going to use a fairy tale to try and justify control over females. Does anyone except Sarah Palin still believe this nonsense?
Dude, both you and your wife evolved from little bitty things floating in the soup just like the rest of us. Equal little bitty things.

Are you saying that the bible - which is a compilation of stories writed by men (probably just like you) is a 'manual' for life? Really? I have nothing against the Bible - it's a good book, but it was not written by God. It was written by men, and some 'books' were accepted into it, others were rejected, and it was a man or a group of men who decided which bits to keep and which to discard.
Plus I imagne some things were subject to interpretation during the numerous translations which took place - has anyone read the original texts in their original language? Thought not.
Many of the sentiments in the bible are good sentiments, but a lot are just stories to illustrate a point. I have no doubt that many of the stories have some basis in reality, but the Adam and Eve story is quite obviously not one of them. Please do not use Adam and Eve who are purely fictional characters to try and support your point which is already weak at best.

Quote:
That is the way it is!!!

A woman has complete control over the house, kids domestics and all but if the man for some reason sees fit to change the plans she is to comply! If you challenge you will have trouble not only in your marriage but with your children.
There is really nothing to be said about this comment. She is to comply with what you say because you have some dangly parts that she doesn't happen to have? How utterly absurd. I am almost embarrassed on your behalf, as well as irritated that such foolish views persist in this day and age.

Last edited by Hobokenkitchen; 12-09-2008 at 01:49 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I agree with all of what you have written. My DH gives way to me on issues I feel strongly about, and I give way to him on issues he feels strongly about. The private parts a person has makes no difference in the negotiation of life decisions.

I do not believe in 'honor and obey' , and that word was not used during our wedding. He is not my boss. Why should I have to 'obey' him? Makes no sense.
Neither does 'submitting' to my husband or any of the other useful little phrases inserted into religious books in order to opress certain segments of society.
Perhaps it's semantics, but I've always felt couples work best when they mutually submit to each others needs. It's giving deference to the one we love. As far as to 'honor & obey', again it's something each one does for the other. That indicates to me a certain mindset that we want to do what's best for each other and place each other above ourselves. It makes for a more tender and intimate relationship.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Perhaps it's semantics, but I've always felt couples work best when they mutually submit to each others needs. It's giving deference to the one we love. As far as to 'honor & obey', again it's something each one does for the other. That indicates to me a certain mindset that we want to do what's best for each other and place each other above ourselves. It makes for a more tender and intimate relationship.
If both said it, I would have no problem with it. However the wedding ceremony saves that little gem only for the female's vows.
Apart from that, I agree with you. Mutually being the key word here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships