Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:56 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,061,228 times

Advertisements

OK seriously, is it the bad weather making us all miserable or what?

I want to hear about how you met, dated, courted -- basically found your new mate and decided to re-marry. I'm newly separated and not dating yet because I need to give myself some time, but when I do start, I want to know all the possible good things I have to look forward to.

Please tell me you have some good stories... feel free to ramble, elaborate, go on and on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 11:59 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,290,039 times
It gets better! I was married once before, the wife did not want children, so I asked for a divorce. I don't know about your case, but for us it was amicable, we used the same attorney, and did not fight over property, we did not even have to drive to an office as it was a mutual friend.

Some may not understand/believe this, but for some (me), it was sort of like losing someone, even though it was through my own action.

I did the dating scene, but since I was sort of mislead the first time, I searched for someone with the same aspirations of raising a family as I. I took it a step further, and even had a requirement that we were of the same religion. Religion was not an issue before, however, my ex-wife was not Catholic, but converted after our marriage. A lot of traditions, and beliefs come from a Catholic upbringing, so I wanted that in the person I dated, and eventually married.

We are both very happy, have a son and daughter, and could not wish for anything more. So yes, things do get better since you kind of know what you want, and don't want the second time around. I know that is flawed thinking since anyone married three times must really be happy eh?

I would advise against the temptation in getting into a new long term relationship, those kinds are more trouble than they are worth and usually end up in failure. Date, but casually, and only after you are sure you are over your divorce, look for a long term relationship. You will meet many new people along the way, some may become your best friends.

I began to hang out with singles groups, went to some very swank parties, met beautiful women, but we were all looking for the same thing, sort of like all those crazy shoppers waiting at the doors of Walmart only to rush in and go in all different directions looking. No real connections. However, as a result, I expanded my network of friends and to this day (it was over 10 years ago), at least a dozen of us are still friends and visit, even travel together some times.

I met one woman who I really liked from those singles events, and could have had a LTR with. However, she was my age and probably would not have wanted children back then (mid to late 30s). So I found someone younger, and it had nothing to do with looks, but I figured a younger woman would want a family more than an older woman. This other woman and I became very good friends, and we both knew it could have been more, but I know that I did the right thing by not ruining it by trying to make it better. She went on to marry someone, and to this very day, she is a great friend not only to me, and my wife, but she is the Godmother of one of our children.

I met my wife through the office, even though I had known of her, actually met her a few years prior to us dating, but the thought of us never entered my mind, or hers. I was actually married at the time when I first met her at our company, floors away, and she had boy friends that I recall. Somehow, a coworker of hers, and one of mine got together and exchanged notes and we had both made comments about each other to our friends. Our co-workers thought it a good idea for us to meet, so unbeknownst to us, hosted a Happy Hour so we could formally meet. We hit it off right away and we got to know each other well over the next several weeks, and it took off from there. We both fell in love you could say, and she turned out to be the perfect wife, and mother.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 12-16-2008 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Maybe I rambled on too much!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
It gets better!
I'm counting on it.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 PM

542 posts, read 1,686,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
OK seriously, is it the bad weather making us all miserable or what?

I want to hear about how you met, dated, courted -- basically found your new mate and decided to re-marry. I'm newly separated and not dating yet because I need to give myself some time, but when I do start, I want to know all the possible good things I have to look forward to.

Please tell me you have some good stories... feel free to ramble, elaborate, go on and on...
Well, after two failed marriages...I fell in love with the best man in the world! He is the ultimate gentleman who does so many nice little things for me just because he is in love with me. He adores my children and it shows. He is one of those nice guys that they say finish last, but he tells me he is as happy as I am!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,269,609 times
I am not divorced but my neighbor and her husband were in very bad marriages, found each other, married and enjoy each other immensely! They travel together, remodeled their historic home, have embraced each others children and grandchildren.

They are truly a joy to watch together.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:08 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,700,372 times
that's really nice, does he have a brother!!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Well, after two failed marriages...I fell in love with the best man in the world! He is the ultimate gentleman who does so many nice little things for me just because he is in love with me. He adores my children and it shows. He is one of those nice guys that they say finish last, but he tells me he is as happy as I am!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
It gets better! I was married once before, the wife did not want children, so I asked for a divorce. I don't know about your case, but for us it was amicable, we used the same attorney, and did not fight over property, we did not even have to drive to an office as it was a mutual friend.

Some may not understand/believe this, but for some (me), it was sort of like losing someone, even though it was through my own action.

I did the dating scene, but since I was sort of mislead the first time, I searched for someone with the same aspirations of raising a family as I. I took it a step further, and even had a requirement that we were of the same religion. Religion was not an issue before, however, my ex-wife was not Catholic, but converted after our marriage. A lot of traditions, and beliefs come from a Catholic upbringing, so I wanted that in the person I dated, and eventually married.

We are both very happy, have a son and daughter, and could not wish for anything more. So yes, things do get better since you kind of know what you want, and don't want the second time around. I know that is flawed thinking since anyone married three times must really be happy eh?

I would advise against the temptation in getting into a new long term relationship, those kinds are more trouble than they are worth and usually end up in failure. Date, but casually, and only after you are sure you are over your divorce, look for a long term relationship. You will meet many new people along the way, some may become your best friends.

I began to hang out with singles groups, went to some very swank parties, met beautiful women, but we were all looking for the same thing, sort of like all those crazy shoppers waiting at the doors of Walmart only to rush in and go in all different directions looking. No real connections. However, as a result, I expanded my network of friends and to this day (it was over 10 years ago), at least a dozen of us are still friends and visit, even travel together some times.

I met one woman who I really liked from those singles events, and could have had a LTR with. However, she was my age and probably would not have wanted children back then (mid to late 30s). So I found someone younger, and it had nothing to do with looks, but I figured a younger woman would want a family more than an older woman. This other woman and I became very good friends, and we both knew it could have been more, but I know that I did the right thing by not ruining it by trying to make it better. She went on to marry someone, and to this very day, she is a great friend not only to me, and my wife, but she is the Godmother of one of our children.

I met my wife through the office, even though I had known of her, actually met her a few years prior to us dating, but the thought of us never entered my mind, or hers. I was actually married at the time when I first met her at our company, floors away, and she had boy friends that I recall. Somehow, a coworker of hers, and one of mine got together and exchanged notes and we had both made comments about each other to our friends. Our co-workers thought it a good idea for us to meet, so unbeknownst to us, hosted a Happy Hour so we could formally meet. We hit it off right away and we got to know each other well over the next several weeks, and it took off from there. We both fell in love you could say, and she turned out to be the perfect wife, and mother.
Wow! What awesome co-workers!

Funny thing, my requirement was a practicing Catholic (you know what I mean), but he put on a huge show before we were married because he know that's what I wanted... But, no negativeness on this thread, so moving right along... I learned a valuable lesson and agree with your reasoning there.

So happy for you!
V

Old 12-16-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Awesome! How did you find him? Did it take a while for the kids to come around?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am not divorced but my neighbor and her husband were in very bad marriages, found each other, married and enjoy each other immensely! They travel together, remodeled their historic home, have embraced each others children and grandchildren.

They are truly a joy to watch together.
It's hard to trust yourself or anyone else when emerging from a bad marriage. I'm trying to be hopeful. Thanks for helping me do that.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:55 PM

542 posts, read 1,686,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
that's really nice, does he have a brother!!??
lol, he does but he's only 11

Seriously though, he really is one of those guys women beg for. He is thoughtful, faithful, sweet and he cooks AND cleans too!

I'm not one for sappy romantic gestures like flowers and such, so he's perfect for me. Its those other thoughtful things he does that I love so much. He washes my Jeep, he fixes stuff around the house, he grills a steak for me when I want one and does what he can to make my day less stressful.

I would have to argue that I am most certainly the luckiest woman on this planet right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships