Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,585,667 times

Advertisements

First of all, let me explain about my family a bit. I have two half brothers in their late 40's and I am in my mid 30's. My half brothers are my father's. My father and their mother divorced. A few years later, my father met my mother and they had me. When I was 15, my father divorced my mom to go back to the mother of my half brothers. Therefore, she is now my step mother and has been for about 21 years.

One of my half brothers and I live pretty close to each other in Houston. A few weeks ago, my father told me that he and my step-mother were coming down for Christmas. They told me they were arriving late Sunday night. Also, they told me to come to my brother's for Christmas Eve Dinner with my family (they are staying at a hotel).

So they arrived yesterday. Today, it's about 3:00 and I think to myself "Wow, my dad hasn't even called yet." So, I give him a call and he tells he is with my nephew and that my step mom, father, nephew and brother's fiance had all gone out to eat earlier in the afternoon. They didn't invite my daughter or me. I felt that had I not called he may not have called at all today. He asked us to come over to my brother's to say hi.

We stayed for awhile at my brother's. When we were leaving, they told me "We will see you Wednesday around five".

All I really want to know is what do you think about this? How would you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,688,593 times
I think you are being a little too sensitive. His visit is not over yet, perhaps you will have some more private time with him later in the week.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times
I think should should whip out a revolver and empty it into the ceiling, shreiking, "Certs! Is it a breath mint or a candy mint?"

Okay...back to being serious. I think you're way overanalyzing this. Just chill out and enjoy your holiday, okay?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:36 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,129,636 times
Maybe they slept in and were still a little tired from traveling. The lunch may have been an impromptu event and he did suggest that you come over. I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the holidays with family.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
First of all, let me explain about my family a bit. I have two half brothers in their late 40's and I am in my mid 30's. My half brothers are my father's. My father and their mother divorced. A few years later, my father met my mother and they had me. When I was 15, my father divorced my mom to go back to the mother of my half brothers. Therefore, she is now my step mother and has been for about 21 years.

One of my half brothers and I live pretty close to each other in Houston. A few weeks ago, my father told me that he and my step-mother were coming down for Christmas. They told me they were arriving late Sunday night. Also, they told me to come to my brother's for Christmas Eve Dinner with my family (they are staying at a hotel).

So they arrived yesterday. Today, it's about 3:00 and I think to myself "Wow, my dad hasn't even called yet." So, I give him a call and he tells he is with my nephew and that my step mom, father, nephew and brother's fiance had all gone out to eat earlier in the afternoon. They didn't invite my daughter or me. I felt that had I not called he may not have called at all today. He asked us to come over to my brother's to say hi.

We stayed for awhile at my brother's. When we were leaving, they told me "We will see you Wednesday around five".

All I really want to know is what do you think about this? How would you feel?

I wouldn't dwell on it. You can't check everything for equality once you get past being a kid. Even then it likely isn't completely equal and you should just shrug it off and enjoy some family time.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,585,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I wouldn't dwell on it. You can't check everything for equality once you get past being a kid. Even then it likely isn't completely equal and you should just shrug it off and enjoy some family time.
I find it interesting that the public comments are much different than the rep point comments I'm receiving.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,656,008 times
I agree, don't read into this too much. Just enjoy the time you have with them. I think women more than men read into things too quickly. Be upbeat and nice and enjoy the Christmas season with them.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I find it interesting that the public comments are much different than the rep point comments I'm receiving.
That's interesting. Are the private comments telling you to dwell on it and let it bother you?

I simply believe one can look too hard into things and be kind of sad when they shouldn't be. Maybe things were never completely fair as far as your dad and his family, it had to be hard on the first wife and your mom at times.

It can be difficult for parents especially in situations like that to keep things equal and fair, you just have to be glad you get to see them all, that everyone is healthy, alive and so on.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM

462 posts, read 969,428 times
I understand why you'd feel that way. My sister has come into town & took the parents out & didnt even let me know she was here. I was hurt, because I would have loved to see her - but after mulling it over, I realized that she wanted some time alone with the parents, without having the rest of us there.

They should go out to eat with you & your child without the others present...

Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,037,082 times
He invited you to Christmas Eve dinner, not out to eat with other relatives at a restaurant. Don't go looking for problems where there aren't any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships