Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

Heck, people are on their best behavior when they're dating you. So if you think he's possessive now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 10:24 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times
If you don't like the way he is, don't be with him. Nobody changes after marriage. Most people just feel comfortable enough to be more like themselves after marriage so chances are that he'll be even more possesive.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
My husband was possessive before we got married. It was partly his ignorance about how a relationship was supposed to be, and partly insecurity. I had to be patient and I made an effort to not have any secretive tendencies to make him more comfortable and eventually, he did relax and calm down.

In your case, it does appear that this kind of behavior was acceptable in past relationships and he expected it from his past girlfriends as well. I don't know if yours will change or not.

Has he been burned in the past? That might account for it also.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Signs are when you cannot talk with any member of the opposite sex that isn't a close relative without suspicions and questions and accusations. A coworker calls to ask a question about a work matter and a possessive partner will become jealous, if you run into buddies of the opposite sex, share a joke, talk about anything, a nomal BF/GF doesn't blink an eye, a possessive one will be set off. Monopolization of your time is a sign.

No, normally after marriage it becomes worse because possessive people see marriage as a kind of ownership of another person.
You said it well. Unfortunately, many young, inexperienced women initially are flattered by this behaviour. Its often under some control before marriage but afterwards, look out.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pade View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313
If you think before marriage they are possessive, just wait until you get married!

Are you speaking from experience? Do tell...
People with experience would only be able to tell you after they get a divorce. This is often difficult to do from such men. In many cases, where men murder their spouse, its in this type of relationship.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:27 PM

63 posts, read 266,576 times
I will never get involved with a possessive man again. Been there, done that and it was AWFUL.
I knew he was like that before I married him, and I was a huge fool for going through with it. I put up with it for 13 years before I grew balls and got out. I could tell you stories that would make your jaw drop, but I won't go there. Concern for ones safety and possessiveness are very different.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM

287 posts, read 549,286 times
I can't speak for everyone, but often times, people that are possessive and controlling can end up being very abusive, whether it's verbally, physically or both. They may have something from a past relationship that they just aren't letting go of, but if they are unable to let go of it or just don't have a particular reason, you may not want to stick around to find out if things can get worse.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM

61 posts, read 112,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My husband was possessive before we got married. It was partly his ignorance about how a relationship was supposed to be, and partly insecurity. I had to be patient and I made an effort to not have any secretive tendencies to make him more comfortable and eventually, he did relax and calm down.

In your case, it does appear that this kind of behavior was acceptable in past relationships and he expected it from his past girlfriends as well. I don't know if yours will change or not.

Has he been burned in the past? That might account for it also.
Yep, his first girlfriend cheated on him... so now, he says that he wants to make sure before its too late...

Old 01-12-2009, 04:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Yep, his first girlfriend cheated on him... so now, he says that he wants to make sure before its too late...
So he's gonna punish you for her transgressions. ...... Nice.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 PM

287 posts, read 549,286 times
Quote:
Jeremy and I had that problem. You just have to set him straight on it. That's a personal thing he has to let go of and realize that not all women are going to cheat on him. That's what I had to explain to him. And him and I were together before! (high school sweethearts) At the same time, I was cheated on and treated very badly by my ex but I'm secure enough to remember not all men are the same and I have to be very guarded with my heart but also try not to put someone else's mistakes on the person I'm with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships