Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,495 times

Advertisements

when you brought up the lesbo thing, that sounded sarcastic to me. Thought you were being funny. sorry. I guess everyone with that name changed it, ok I get it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I just told you? People are aloud to change their names you know. I don't get how that was sarcastic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
when you brought up the lesbo thing, that sounded sarcastic to me. Thought you were being funny. sorry. I guess everyone with that name changed it, ok I get it. Thanks.
Well the Lesbo thing is true. People on the island of Lesbos did not want to be associated with the term Lesbian so they changed their ethnicity to something else. Which is what the Hitler's did.

CNN.com - Author talks about 'The Last of the Hitlers' - February 6, 2002

"Yeah, that's the case. In fact, when William Patrick, Adolf's nephew, came to America, he went on to serve in the U.S. Navy and fought against his uncle. But after the war, obviously, it became clear that having the name Hitler was not a good thing to have. And he changed his name, and went on to have -- to marry, have a family, and they lived in total anonymity. That was for the last 50 years."

Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,219,774 times
Quote:
Well the Lesbo thing is true. People on the island of Lesbos did not want to be associated with the term Lesbian so they changed their ethnicity to something else. Which is what the Hitler's did.

"Yeah, that's the case. In fact, when William Patrick, Adolf's nephew, came to America, he went on to serve in the U.S. Navy and fought against his uncle. But after the war, obviously, it became clear that having the name Hitler was not a good thing to have. And he changed his name, and went on to have -- to marry, have a family, and they lived in total anonymity. That was for the last 50 years."
Interesting stuff!! Were the inhabitants of Lesbos really called lesbians?? Love it!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,427 times
if people could name thier kids apple and saddam and rumer, then why not hitler.

its a stupid issue. i didnt name my kids weird names, but i have no problem with parents who name their kids ladanian or chingwangwing. its not my place to pick names for other people. my kids classmates have some pretty strange (foreign) names. dont bother me much.

now this? there better be good reason for removing kids from their parents. its too traumatic, so they better have everything in order.

maybe a 14 y/o girl called from within the house anonymously and reported abuse?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 PM

thanks for the info, I just thought more than his famiy had that name, I knew his relatives changed their names and some are living here in the US, I thought maybe it was a name that other people could have had as well, not just HIS family.

Quote:

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM

I was referring to Hitler as a last name. Saddam is a common first name or middle name or whatever.

I mean Hitler as a generic last name of someone OTHER than the monster and his family. Guess it was a dumb question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
if people could name thier kids apple and saddam and rumer, then why not hitler.

its a stupid issue. i didnt name my kids weird names, but i have no problem with parents who name their kids ladanian or chingwangwing. its not my place to pick names for other people.

now this? there better be good reason for removing kids from their parents. its too traumatic, so they better have everything in order.

maybe a 14 y/o girl called from within the house anonymously and reported abuse?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

its a stupid issue. i didnt name my kids weird names, but i have no problem with parents who name their kids ladanian or chingwangwing. its not my place to pick names for other people.

I don't think 'Apple' and 'Rumor' or 'Chingwangwing' have the same kind of inherant meaning as Hitler and Aryan Nation. That sends a crystal clear message about how that family views race IMHO.
I don't think their kids should be taken away because of just that, although they would probably be better off in a less hate filled environment, but I don't think that naming your child specifically after someone like Hitler is a good thing to do. And it doesn't compare to me in any way to naming a kid after a fruit.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
I'm just curious what has happened to the name "Hitler" at all? It seems no one has that name? I mean, of course I understand who the guy was and what a horrible monster he was, but the name itself didn't do those things, the man did, so what ever happened to the last name of Hitler?
Plenty of people are named Adolf?
He had American relatives (including a WWII US GI) who refused to reproduce. I don't know what happened to the ones in Europe.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,539 times
Quote:
I was referring to Hitler as a last name. Saddam is a common first name or middle name or whatever.

I mean Hitler as a generic last name of someone OTHER than the monster and his family. Guess it was a dumb question.
Was Hitler a common family name before 1945? What did Hitlers change their names to after the second world war? | Notes and Queries | guardian.co.uk

Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
He had American relatives (including a WWII US GI) who refused to reproduce. I don't know what happened to the ones in Europe.
Yeah, that's really sad but I can see why. Can you imagine parenting someone like Hitler. I guess he was worried that it could be in the genes. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships