Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,839 times

Advertisements

this year my wife and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary. For this occasion we decided on 2 gifts. First I would upgrade her wedding band because the original had a small diamond (all I could afford at the time) and she wanted a 2 karat diamond to replace it. I saw the ring just before Christmas and purchased it. Of course she was with me, and she immediately started wearing it (Primarily on special occasions). The other "gift" was a trip to the Carribean which she would pay for. Recently we had an argument, and she was upset with me. Our anniversary came and went last week (I took time off anticipating the trip). We spent our anniversary night out at dinner, and when I mentioned the trip she stated she was still upset with me so she cancelled the plans to book the trip. I played it off as if I understood, and when she left for work the next day I took the ring back and got my money back for the ring. She didn't notice it till yesterday. I told her what I did and she said I did was being "passive aggressive". I said we had an agreement and I came through with my end, and to hold being upset with me as punnishment for not booking the trip was lame on her part. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,615 times
Depends on what she was upset about I guess.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,757 times
So, one wrong after another huh? You guys play with money too much--you should just funnel the monetary gains to my account, that'll be your donation to the fledgling economy.

Kidding (sorta) aside, she was wrong, you were wrong--you'll get into a fight even more, calm down and then discuss it rationally after the blow up. In the meantime I'll hold the monetary leverage for yall.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
The wife has a 2.5 CT ring and she wants me to upgrade it to a 4 CT. What's a man to do!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:09 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,144,735 times
The 20th anniversary gift is traditionally china. Why don't you get her a postcard with a picture of China on it? :-)

Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 AM

573 posts, read 1,690,335 times
Well, in my eyes it's weird that after 20 years of marriage, you guys are still saying, "I pay for this, she pays for that"......

But as far as what you did.....a little petty, but it really depends on what she did. It seems like all your anniversary was was a financial transaction.

Happy Anniversary.....

Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,615 times
I never did get a ring with a diamond. I told my hubby that I just wanted a plain gold band. I guess I'm overly practical. I've never taken it off and I had a small child when I got married and I didn't want to scratch him with it. My sisters ooh and ahh over each other's rings. I guess I just don't get it.

You want to impress me? Do the dishes.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
It really does depend on why she was upset with you. Kinda hard to enjoy a vacation with someone you want to strangle.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 AM

18,125 posts, read 11,759,576 times
Were you the guy on Ophra last week? just kidding!

I think you are wrong to take the ring back because you did it to make her happy in the first place, right?

For her, she should discuss this further with you. Where did I hear, you shouldn't sleep on a augment? This should have been resolved before your anniversary day.
Forget the holiday trip for now, try to get to the root of these problems first. All
monies should go in the big pot as a sharing couple.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Unless the argument you had involved some clandestine antics with your babysitter or Sheila down in accounts receivable at your office, canceling the vacation seems really drastic. Something tells me you were both acting like a couple of hotheads. Shame on you. You should both know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships